Just removed running boards off a XLT, suggestions of what to do with holes. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just removed running boards off a XLT, suggestions of what to do with holes.

robmurt04

Reaction score
City, State
Pennsylvania
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 4WD
Just removed the running boards off my 1994 Ex XLT. And i gotta about 20 holes a side where they clipped in AND unfortunately right in front of the passenger side rear tire (at the end of the runningboards) there is a rust hole about 5inches long and 3 inches wide, about half of it under the car.

IDEAS I HAVE SO FAR: (would these work?)
Get the rust repaired and holes filled professional - ANY IDEAS ON COST???/
Eddie Baurer(sp?) Body Kit Spray Painted Black to match.

Any other ideas and suggestions to cover/fix both the rust and fill the holes? I don't want something ugly.

EDIT:

http://www.parkaveauto.biz/images/autos/10126_explorer_94.jpg

the little lip between the two tires on the bottom, where the running boards would be. Are they removable and would i be able to put them on to my ex?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This will give ya a ballpark range, this is the cost of what it was for the sport it was $250.00 a side to have my rockers completely replaced, and have some kind of undercoating on them.

ok i just dont want to have the steps, get in the way of tires and just dont like the way they look.
thanks for the pricing idea, hopefully i'll find something a little less costly. If not i think i rather keep it looking like a spaceship.

i have the same problem on my 96'...i'm going to try and bondo one side(the hole isnt to big) and then just re bed line it. The other side idk yet i am going to just try and stop the rust.

Ah man, I have the same problem on my 96 XLT. I'm scared to take off the running boards. Here's a Usefull thread on rebuilding the Rocker panels.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=171419

I know some person on this board has made those trim pieces (the ones I think you are talking about on the Pic you linked) removable because he has his rock sliders hidden behind them. I would think They would attach the same way as the running boards. It's the same body as an XLT. Someone correct me If I'm wrong. Either way good luck. That thread has alot of information about replacing the part that I think you described as rusted out. It also explains alot of basic body work stuff.

Back