Just went over 50,000 miles... questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just went over 50,000 miles... questions

jdc28va

Reaction score
City, State
Vienna, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Platinum (Blue)
Callsign
KK4AIB
I just turned 50,000 on my 2006 XLT V8 with 4wd. I will have it four years at the end of September.

I just had a basic oil change done, and replaced the original BFG Rugged Trail T/A tires with Michelin LTX A/T 2 tires.

The shop where I got my tires (Merchants) did a free diagnostic test (obviously a way to get additional business) and recommended a fuel injection cleaning as well as new power steering fluid.

First question is, what have you guys done at 50,000 in addition to the normal oil change? I know the manual states new transmission fluid at 100,000, but I don't recall anything in there about power steering fluid or fuel injector cleaning? I recall having the dealer talk me into a fuel injector cleaning at 20,000 when I took it there for an oil change. I also changed the air filter myself at around 30,000. That's really the only things I've done beside oil changes every 5k and tire rotations every 10k.

Am I neglecting anything? Surprisingly, both front and rear brakes (still original pads) were at 8/32s when Merchants checked them at 50k.

Also, how long did you guys get out of the stock battery? My battery tested fine during Merchant's "diagnostic" test, but should I consider a new one before it gets too cold this winter? Any recommendations?

Sorry for all the questions, I couldn't find a good 50,000 thread in any of my searches.

JDC

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Haven't hit 50k yet but I am interested in your Michelin LTX's. Do you notice a big difference with those over the original BFG's?

Haven't hit 50k yet but I am interested in your Michelin LTX's. Do you notice a big difference with those over the original BFG's?

I'll let you know. Haven't driven the truck since I drove it the 0.2 miles home from the tire shop. They look good though, that's all I can say for now. They've gotten good reviews here and at tirerack.com.

I just turned 50,000 on my 2006 XLT V8 with 4wd. I will have it four years at the end of September.

I just had a basic oil change done, and replaced the original BFG Rugged Trail T/A tires with Michelin LTX A/T 2 tires.

The shop where I got my tires (Merchants) did a free diagnostic test (obviously a way to get additional business) and recommended a fuel injection cleaning as well as new power steering fluid.

First question is, what have you guys done at 50,000 in addition to the normal oil change? I know the manual states new transmission fluid at 100,000, but I don't recall anything in there about power steering fluid or fuel injector cleaning? I recall having the dealer talk me into a fuel injector cleaning at 20,000 when I took it there for an oil change. I also changed the air filter myself at around 30,000. That's really the only things I've done beside oil changes every 5k and tire rotations every 10k.

Am I neglecting anything? Surprisingly, both front and rear brakes (still original pads) were at 8/32s when Merchants checked them at 50k.

Also, how long did you guys get out of the stock battery? My battery tested fine during Merchant's "diagnostic" test, but should I consider a new one before it gets too cold this winter? Any recommendations?

Sorry for all the questions, I couldn't find a good 50,000 thread in any of my searches.

JDC

I believe the fuel injection cleaning is BS, as was the dealer recommended one at 20K miles. Unless, you are experiencing drivability issues, have a CEL lit or are experiencing a drop in MPG. I use a bottle of Gumout every 10K and it is probably a waste of money too.

I usually replace my transfer case fluid every 30K miles. It takes about a quart and a half of ATF and you don't even have to jack up the vehicle. But, you will need a hand pump ($5).

If your battery tests OK, it is probably good for another year.

I suction out my power steering reservoir with a suction gun (or turkey baster) around 50K and add back clean fluid. Do it again in after another 50 miles and you will have mostly new fluid for about a buck. There are more thorough methods, but likely unnecessary.

Your owner's manual has a maintenance schedule and fluid specs.

I currently have 85k on my explorer..changed transmission fluid aroudn 50k for safety. I dont tihnk it hurts and I think it saves it in teh long run. Especially sicne I know someone on here has over 100k and just had their transmisison go out on their 06.

I think all the power steering stuff is bs, but i dont know. Im a do-it-urselfer and all the moeny I can save is good.

I have never cleaned my fuel injectors, never had a problem. I did have to repalce the OEM plugs at 60k, and had a hell of a time with them. Only replace with new OEM plugs, dont go with any brand besides motorcraft or they will foul within 1000 miles.

Besides that, I just repalced my front brakes for the first time last week. OEM brakes seem to be pretty good on these.

the only other thing I would check is the rear axle seal. Mine was repalced at 50k, common problem with the 06's. I dont know if yours has been repalced or not yet.

Batteries can last anywhere from 6 months to 10 years - depending to a large degree on luck. Usually you will have some warning when they start to degrade - lights dimming when starting the engine, slow starup, etc. If you haven't noticed anything, it's probably fine. On the other hand, batteries are relatively cheap, and very easy to replace. If it keeps you awake at night, just replace it.

my factory battery lasted 8 years and my $20 refurb battery is now heading into it's third year of faithful service. Driving every single day. Like Brillig said it's largely luck.

You don't NEED your injectors cleaned. Maybe plugs and wires if your getting any hesitation. It might be a good idea to flush and fill your radiator. Especially if you haven't yet.

I just had the 30,000 mile service on my '07 Ranger. Besides the oil change and checking everything, they changed the fuel and air filters, and not only changed the fluid but flushed the automatic transmission. This was required for the 5 year 60,000 mile power train warranty. The whole thing ran about $250 at my Ford Dealer.

Check your manual, it calls for the same on certain transmissions.

Back