Justin is going twin turbo... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Justin is going twin turbo...

Well, I just ordered two Borg Warner S200 turbochargers for my Explorer. With the new install, I will be moving everything towards the front- so it will be a mid mount setup. I am also changing my air/air intercooler with an air/water intercooler and adding water injection. I am not adding the water injection to add more power with timing- it will just be a safety precaution for hot days.

Changing from the single to the twins will allow me to keep my quick spool, but support more power. It came down to either a single T70 or these twins, and I chose the twins. It will probably be a little while before I start fabrication because I am remodeling my house. But I hope to have it running and retuned by the end of the year.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Now this is what I'm talking about.:thumbsup:

Well, I just ordered two Borg Warner S200 turbochargers for my Explorer. With the new install, I will be moving everything towards the front- so it will be a mid mount setup. I am also changing my air/air intercooler with an air/water intercooler and adding water injection. I am not adding the water injection to add more power with timing- it will just be a safety precaution for hot days.

Changing from the single to the twins will allow me to keep my quick spool, but support more power. It came down to either a single T70 or these twins, and I chose the twins. It will probably be a little while before I start fabrication because I am remodeling my house. But I hope to have it running and retuned by the end of the year.

Speaking of house remodels and a big turbo project...I seem to remember something like this?

And guess what - The truck is done and the house isn't. hehe

Speaking of house remodels and a big turbo project...I seem to remember something like this?

And guess what - The truck is done and the house isn't. hehe

I am actually not living in mine right now- I bought it and completely gutted it. Replaced all the wiring, windows, roof, everything. I will hopefully be moving into it at the end of July. Then I get to start building my shop :)

Now I have to figure out how to get a 4" exhaust out the rear of the Explorer. Actually, both turbos have 4" v-bands, but I will either have to Y them or run dual 4" turndowns. I guess I could neck it down to 3", but I just like the idea of having a 4" exhaust :)

Yeah, I would try for the 4" idea if I were you. You'll know for sure there isn't a bottle neck. It's going to be tricky. 3" is even a little tricky. I mean, you can get it thru but keeping it far enough away from the moving suspension is a different story - Mine just barley hits on a hard bump.

There is the "un-round" 4 inch option to get thru tight spots. I can't remember where I saw this tubing but it goes rectangle and then back to round.

Justin, good luck with that and the house. I know almost nothing about turbos, real details. I did speak a good while with my cam builder when I worked it out with him. He knows a ton about everything that affects power related to cam specs.

If you haven't already, might I suggest a call to an expert like him. He is well known for Ford cams, his name is Jay Allen. He spoke in great detail about how to size a turbo system for best power, and initial boost. Evidently the inlet sizing and turbine housing are two specs that can independently be tuned for a specific combination. I may be wrong about the nomenclature(wording) of those.

The point I learned from him is that for a given engine, you can make the boost build fast at a specific desired rpm, say 1800rpm. Also you can size the turbo to make the boost peak exactly where you want it, independent of the initial boost rpm. The key that he was getting at with all of that was that he can build the best camshaft to work properly to fulfill those goals.

I enjoy seeing other projects, and I hope you build exactly what you intend to. Keep up the inspiration for others.

Hmm extra power that doesn't require premium fuel.

justin be sure to do soem videos of ur explorer when u get the twin turbos installed

I bought a house and did the same thing, still working on it over a year later!!!! When I gutted mine though I found all kinds of "surprises" that had to be addressed. Oh well it's leveled, finishing up all new electrical and doing the central air&heat within the month. Mine had a shop to start with but I had to renovate it first because that is were my house tools/car parts had to go. When my exhaust was built with 3" coming out in stock location it got real close to the 5th shock, everything seemed okay. If my single 3" pipe with no tip looks mean then I couldn't imagine what a 4" would look like.

TT's are nice but why not build the bottom end of your engine first?

TT's are nice but why not build the bottom end of your engine first?

Because it will be pointless with my stock block. Until I upgrade to a Boss (or similar) block, I still will have the block as my weakest link.

Because it will be pointless with my stock block. Until I upgrade to a Boss (or similar) block, I still will have the block as my weakest link.

That is kind of what I meant. I didn't mean to imply that you keep your stocker engine block if it came off that way. I meant build the entire thing from new stronger block, internals and all that works.

I rode the fence for a long time before deciding to invest in a moderate engine. Be careful about how you budget engine projects, a $2000 engine usually ends up being a $4000 engine, or more.

I knew a few people about 6-7 years ago who drag raced Mustangs with stock Explorer 302's and nitrous. They blew them up every once in a while, and collected parts for several engines. They could do that with a race car for track use, we cannot for a normal DD. Go easy on the boost.

That is kind of what I meant. I didn't mean to imply that you keep your stocker engine block if it came off that way. I meant build the entire thing from new stronger block, internals and all that works.

I dont know if I will ever take the Explorer that far. I had been trying to sell it with no luck; so I figured I would just upgrade it a little more. I have been wanting to build an LSx truck for a while now, and I think I may finally do it. It will probably consist of putting a forged 5.7 rotating assembly into the stock 4.8/5.3 block and a single KBRacing turbo kit topped with a MP T70.

One of the main reasons I am upgrading is because I bought new headers, and I was having oil issues with my Holset. So rather than rebuild the Holset, I bought the twins. Moving them to the front and using an A/W intercooler also lets me put my spare tire back under the truck; so my interior will stop smelling like rubber. And because the air filter wont be right at my bumper, I can stop worrying every time I back the jet ski into the lake. I am pretty sure my oil issues werent related to oil draining into the turbo because the turbo actually sits higher than my engines oil level. And it could be caused by that stupid Outerwears cover. But the new setup will have the filters in a place where I wont have to use a cover.

Now this is going to be interesting. Cant wait. I would like the opportunity to tune this baby. As far as the LSx truck.. I tune a bunch of these vehicles and the LSX's make crazy power-stock with just a turbo,NA'd,etc. Gimme a shout I am working on a twin turbo Vette and retuning a Turbo Silverado with a 6.0L conversion. I may be able to offset any potential problems you may have. Also the GM maf meters will hold to about 525hp in blow thru application (GM meters aren't picky in blow thru and only around 5% resolution is lost-so why not blow thru). Then they sign off(pegged), fortunately I offer a meter for those vehicles which will hold about 1000hp (around $300.00). Don't go speed density- you won't be happywith the driveability. The main reason for the speed density tuning on these is because the GM meters haven't evolved till recently. -j

This will be interesting. Subscribing.

Peer pressure Jon- Your truck would be great with twins. Hint! Hint!:wavey:

subscribing to this.

Now this is going to be interesting. Cant wait. I would like the opportunity to tune this baby. As far as the LSx truck.. I tune a bunch of these vehicles and the LSX's make crazy power-stock with just a turbo,NA'd,etc. Gimme a shout I am working on a twin turbo Vette and retuning a Turbo Silverado with a 6.0L conversion. I may be able to offset any potential problems you may have. Also the GM maf meters will hold to about 525hp in blow thru application (GM meters aren't picky in blow thru and only around 5% resolution is lost-so why not blow thru). Then they sign off(pegged), fortunately I offer a meter for those vehicles which will hold about 1000hp (around $300.00). Don't go speed density- you won't be happywith the driveability. The main reason for the speed density tuning on these is because the GM meters haven't evolved till recently. -j

Peer pressure Jon- Your truck would be great with twins. Hint! Hint!:wavey:

I am told the truck PCM's can only process 512g/sec, this is why many go SD. How do you get around this with a MAF that can read higher? I am really curious about the subject..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sweet man go for it! Why not get really into the fabrication and hook those suckers under the hood and then you could ditch the scavenge pump for some $$$$ and no oil drainback problems?

Back