Justin's 1992 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Justin's 1992 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4

My name is Justin, I'm from Roseburg, Oregon. I've owned my 1992 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 since about 2004. I bought it from my good friends at Solo Motorsports in Covina, California. I've driven the heck out of it ever since and needless to say, had a lot of fun with it.

I had a new 4.0L installed a year or so ago at around 192,000. A short time later I replaced the A4LD also. I have a little over 500 miles on both at this point. I work out of the country so I don't get to drive it a whole lot right now.

The engine/drivetrain is all stock with the exception of a KKM filter set-up and a red top Optima battery. The front suspension has Solo Motorsports 4 inch over 4x4 beams and radius arms, Eibach coil springs, and Fox resi shocks. The rear has Deaver springs, Solo Motorsports shackles, and Fox resi shocks.

When I bought it she had 33x10.50/15 BFG MT's on stock Explorer wheels. I replaced them with some 285/75/16 Big O's for a while, but really didn't like them as much so I've since switched back to a 33x10.50/15 BFG's. Again on stock Explorer rims, powder coated 55% black, this time AT's. The AT's are much more street friendly IMO.

I'm having a few minor repairs done right now (fuel gauge stopped working, HVAC blower only works on high, driver's side electric window motor is really slow, etc). I have purchased almost everything I need to fix the interior up except a carpet kit. Future plans include adding a coil-over and bump stops to the front end, different shocks/mounts out back, rear fiberglass, a larger roof rack, and a paint job.

I am contemplating adding a winch too (I have an extra Warn HS9500 laying in my garage), I'm just not sure yet.

Here are a few pics as it sits right now-

HPIM3913.jpg

HPIM3912.jpg

HPIM3911.jpg

HPIM3914.jpg

I really enjoy the website, thanks!

It really makes me miss my first explorer. I would love to have another 1st gen as a "do-it-all" type of rig like this. One day... :)

Curious, what kind of MPG are you getting in this?

Great looking truck! Do your 33s rub the rear fenders at bump?

Great looking truck! Do your 33s rub the rear fenders at bump?

Thanks!

On stock 15 x 7 Explorer wheels they only rub the sidewall on the inner fender and maybe the top of the inner fender if I'm really pushing it, no problems ever because both places are smooth. The slightly different offset/width of the 15 x 8 MRW's in the latest pics not only rubbed in the same places, but also caught the edge of the wheel well and tore up the outer lugs on my new KM2's.

I thought about rolling the edge of the wheel wells back up for clearance, but instead I'm just gonna get another set of stock Explorer wheels for my KM2's. Not only did the different offset/width cause some minor problems, the bigger problem was broken beadlock bolts. I don't know what the deal was, but I snapped several per wheel. Luckily I had plenty of extras bolts and no leaks so I made it through the whole trip without changing a tire.

Don't get me wrong, the MRW's are nice wheels, but next time I may not be so lucky, so I'm going back to what I know always works.

Other upgrades planned- I think I need a little more bump stop out back and I'm going to put a newer model disk brake rear end in. There were a few times I really could have used a little better brakes.

It really makes me miss my first explorer. I would love to have another 1st gen as a "do-it-all" type of rig like this. One day... :)

Curious, what kind of MPG are you getting in this?

I really don't know, I haven't taken the time to figure it out yet?

Back