Justin's 1992 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Justin's 1992 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4

My name is Justin, I'm from Roseburg, Oregon. I've owned my 1992 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4 since about 2004. I bought it from my good friends at Solo Motorsports in Covina, California. I've driven the heck out of it ever since and needless to say, had a lot of fun with it.

I had a new 4.0L installed a year or so ago at around 192,000. A short time later I replaced the A4LD also. I have a little over 500 miles on both at this point. I work out of the country so I don't get to drive it a whole lot right now.

The engine/drivetrain is all stock with the exception of a KKM filter set-up and a red top Optima battery. The front suspension has Solo Motorsports 4 inch over 4x4 beams and radius arms, Eibach coil springs, and Fox resi shocks. The rear has Deaver springs, Solo Motorsports shackles, and Fox resi shocks.

When I bought it she had 33x10.50/15 BFG MT's on stock Explorer wheels. I replaced them with some 285/75/16 Big O's for a while, but really didn't like them as much so I've since switched back to a 33x10.50/15 BFG's. Again on stock Explorer rims, powder coated 55% black, this time AT's. The AT's are much more street friendly IMO.

I'm having a few minor repairs done right now (fuel gauge stopped working, HVAC blower only works on high, driver's side electric window motor is really slow, etc). I have purchased almost everything I need to fix the interior up except a carpet kit. Future plans include adding a coil-over and bump stops to the front end, different shocks/mounts out back, rear fiberglass, a larger roof rack, and a paint job.

I am contemplating adding a winch too (I have an extra Warn HS9500 laying in my garage), I'm just not sure yet.

Here are a few pics as it sits right now-

HPIM3913.jpg

HPIM3912.jpg

HPIM3911.jpg

HPIM3914.jpg

I really enjoy the website, thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thats a sweet X man. If you don't mind me askin, how much were the beams? I want to get extended beams and I've heard from people that you can't extend 4x4 beams but apparently you proved 'em wrong.

Thanks, my beams are 4" over and were on it when I bought it from Solo. I'm not sure how much Bobby is charging these days, but keep in mind there are a few options on thier beams- 4" over, 6" over, uni-ball or bushing, etc. They also make a nice tight fitting lower piece of front diff armor, Dana 35 or 44.

Check them out at SoloMotorsports.com, I hope that helps!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Sweet thanks for all the help man! I'm definitely going to check them out cause that what I wanna do with my x eventually.

I have a new black grill, black headlight trim, headlights, and taillights sitting in boxes. I'm waiting to paint it before I put on all the new stuff I have.

Thanks for the suggestion though!

We took the Explorer on a trip down to SoCal not too long ago. Since we weren't in a hurry we decided to head down Hwy 199 through the Redwoods and then to Hwy 101 down the coast to Monterey. It ran like a champ and did much better with the 4.56's. I took a few pics of it on the pier we parked at there in Monterey.

Anyway we eventually dropped it off at my friends shop (Solo Motorsports in Covina, CA) to get a handfull of things finished up, get the seats re-done/interior repairs, and a paint job.

As you can see I couldn't wait to put my new black grill and headlight trim on it. I'll post up pics when it's complete.

Monterey1.jpg

Monterey2.jpg

Monterey3.jpg

Well the old Explorer's getting a little face-lift finally at Solo Motorsports. The seats are out and being re-done, the rear Deavers are out and being rebuilt, f&r bumpers are getting re-done right now.

Here's a couple pics of the rear bumper-

6-27-2012c.jpg

6-26-2012f.jpg

Hopefully I'll have a few pics of the front bumper in the next day or so. Then all the shock mounts will get re-worked, I'm switching from the Fox's that are on it now to new some Bilsteins. Probably a new set of coils up front. A full length roof rack that incorporates my light rack is in the works. Then off to the paint shop, getting rid of the old red for a new coat of bright white.

This is the final phase of my re-build, I'll post pics as it progresses.

I added rope and an aluminum fairlead from Custom Splice to my old HS9500. Here's a few pics of the mods to the front bumper-

7-2-2012g.jpg

7-3-2012c.jpg

7-3-2012b.jpg

Really nice Ex dude. I like your tastes.

Are they the same as the 91-94 rangers?

No they aren't, I can't remember what's different, but I asked the same question a long time ago and was told no. I think the bottom of the fender down near the door area may be different?

They are different .

Here's a few update pics.

Rear bumper is done, front is almost done-

7-4-2012amodified.jpg

7-4-2012b.jpg

Deavers are all rebuilt and ready to go-

7-4-2012c.jpg

Back on it's feet again-

7-4-2012d.jpg

Here's a few update pics.

Rear bumper is done, front is almost done-

7-4-2012amodified.jpg

7-4-2012b.jpg

Deavers are all rebuilt and ready to go-

7-4-2012c.jpg

Back on it's feet again-

7-4-2012d.jpg
What did you do to those rear springs?you have soa?they look beefy !love the winch and bumpers by the way;)

They are still spring under with extended Solo shackles. All I had done was a standard rebuild + an additional 3/4" to 1" lift added (due to the fact I tow my Rhino from time to time).

Back