• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

^^Searches ExplorerForum.com^^

K & N air filter install help

Mustangmars

Reaction score
City, State
Lake Orion MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer XLT
I recently purchased a K & N air filter for my 2020 XLT 2.3L. My problem is, i cannot open the air box and the instructions in the owners manual do not seem to help me. The instructions show to loosen two clips and remove 2 screws on the air box. The clips are no problem, however, i cannot locate them two screws referenced in the manual. Does anyone have any experience with changing the air filter on your 2.3L? Thank you!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 per year. Gets rid of the ads! New $5 per month "try out" option.

Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose fix problems yourself and learn which modifications work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private Conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Dsle5403

Reaction score
City, State
Mondovi, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
I haven't changed the filter but the screws referenced in the manual are for the clamps on the 2 air hoses.
After removing the hoses you should be able to remove the cover.

Last edited:

Mustangmars

Reaction score
City, State
Lake Orion MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer XLT
I haven't changed the filter but the screws referenced in the manual are for the clamps on the 2 air hoses.
After removing the hoses you should be able to remove the cover.
Thank you Dale! I will give it a try.

northvibe

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Ford Explorer XLT
Thank you Dale! I will give it a try.
Were you able to remove it? Sometimes those hoses are super stiff so they need to be loosened or removed to get the box top off

joshua Evans

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Minneapolis Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 explorer ST
I replaced mine with an AEM filter.
Just remove the hose clamps that hold on the hoses running to the box and slide them off away from the box. Then unclip the 2 latches take the air box top off replace filter and put it all back together. 10-15 mins tops

Mustangmars

Reaction score
City, State
Lake Orion MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer XLT
Just remove the hose clamps that hold on the hoses running to the box and slide them off away from the box. Then unclip the 2 latches take the air box top off replace filter and put it all back together. 10-15 mins tops
Thank you again guys! I have not had time to try again yet. Hopefully tomorrow! I will reply with my experience one i give it a shot.

joshua Evans

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Minneapolis Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 explorer ST
By hoses I meant intake tubes

Mikey*TX

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Liv'n in the hollow of an 'ol oak tree. ;-)
City, State
Skunk Hollow, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 EXP ST Blk
This ! Not even a one beer job ............. Bummed ........ :snicker:

Mustangmars

Reaction score
City, State
Lake Orion MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer XLT
Thank you again guys! I have not had time to try again yet. Hopefully tomorrow! I will reply with my experience one i give it a shot.
I finally had time to use everyone’s advice! Once i pulled the tube by loosing the clamp, it was simple, under 5 minutes. Thank you!!!