• Register Today It's free!

K & N air filter install help

Mustangmars

Reaction score
City, State
Lake Orion MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Explorer XLT
I recently purchased a K & N air filter for my 2020 XLT 2.3L. My problem is, i cannot open the air box and the instructions in the owners manual do not seem to help me. The instructions show to loosen two clips and remove 2 screws on the air box. The clips are no problem, however, i cannot locate them two screws referenced in the manual. Does anyone have any experience with changing the air filter on your 2.3L? Thank you!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I haven't changed the filter but the screws referenced in the manual are for the clamps on the 2 air hoses.
After removing the hoses you should be able to remove the cover.

I haven't changed the filter but the screws referenced in the manual are for the clamps on the 2 air hoses.
After removing the hoses you should be able to remove the cover.
Thank you Dale! I will give it a try.

Thank you Dale! I will give it a try.

Were you able to remove it? Sometimes those hoses are super stiff so they need to be loosened or removed to get the box top off

I replaced mine with an AEM filter.
Just remove the hose clamps that hold on the hoses running to the box and slide them off away from the box. Then unclip the 2 latches take the air box top off replace filter and put it all back together. 10-15 mins tops

Just remove the hose clamps that hold on the hoses running to the box and slide them off away from the box. Then unclip the 2 latches take the air box top off replace filter and put it all back together. 10-15 mins tops
Thank you again guys! I have not had time to try again yet. Hopefully tomorrow! I will reply with my experience one i give it a shot.

This ! Not even a one beer job ............. Bummed ........ :snicker:

Thank you again guys! I have not had time to try again yet. Hopefully tomorrow! I will reply with my experience one i give it a shot.
I finally had time to use everyone’s advice! Once i pulled the tube by loosing the clamp, it was simple, under 5 minutes. Thank you!!!

Back