• Register Today It's free!

K&N air filter??

jp831

Reaction score
City, State
NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer Sport
I'm thinking of going to pep boys tommorow and picking up a k&n drop in air filter. I'm not really looking for any performance gains but just that air sucking sound. Would the filter give me that sound or should i save up and go with a whole intake system? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

just put it in my 91 caddy.
What A SOUND it now makes . It also makes my Explorer Sound Great. I've also got a little better gas mileage (once I stopped putting the peddle to the medal for the sound) LOL:)

Jeff,
Just dropping in the K&N panel filter won't give you the sound you desire. My K&N went in just fine, but no sound difference.......until I did the hole mod to the filter box. I removed the air snorkel, drilled lots of 1" holes in the filter box, and then yes, the sound came alive!!!
The KKM setup, or K&N Gen 2 would give you your sound, so depends on how much $$$ you have/want to spend.
Drilling my box and everything only took about 30 min total. A 1" hole saw is only a few bucks at Wal Mart.
Ken

Get the intake kit.

Back