• Register Today It's free!

K&N filter? CAI or regular?

Chickensandwich

Reaction score
City, State
Madison
Year, Model & Trim Level
2018 Police Utility
I’m just curious if a standard K&N filter would be better than the plain paper filter I have. I saw some videos on filters and I know some paper filters might protect better, but the K&N allows more air and still filters pretty well.

Are cold air intake filters useable on the ecoboost? Recommended or not?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I’m just curious if a standard K&N filter would be better than the plain paper filter I have. I saw some videos on filters and I know some paper filters might protect better, but the K&N allows more air and still filters pretty well.

OEM doesnt breathe as well. Ive seen a lot of information and a lot of test videos on youtube (not kids doing 0-60 tests, but real testing) and I understand pros and cons.

Over the years I have become less a fan of oiled, reusable filters on vehicles. The reason is they need regular maintenance that many people will not perform. Then when this maintenance is performed they will over oil the filter which causes issues with the MAF sensor getting coated with excess oil coming from the filter. There isn't much of a performance boost between a good one time use paper filter and an oiled filter. Plus, I think the paper filter provides better and more consistent protection. As others have said, a CAI on its own is worth very little for increasing power. They need a tune and even then the power increase comes more from the tune than the CAI. Do a tune on a stock intake car and you will likely see a sizable gain in power without a CAI.

Back