K&N Filters causing dirtier oil?!?! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

K&N Filters causing dirtier oil?!?!

Quakecom

Reaction score
City, State
97-00 HHI, SC ************ 00-02 Boston, MA********** 02-04 Augsburg, GERMANY 04-now Munich, GERMANY
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Eddie Bauer
Hey guys,

I was over at fordtrucks.com and noticed a thread in which members drastically replaced their K&N filters with the OEM filters due to the rumor that K&N filters allow more dirt to enter the engine (Supposely they dont filter the incoming air as the OEM filters).

Can anybody comment on this? I myself have a K&N FIPK and never had any problems. Oil has always been fine.

--> JOHN V. and all the other performance guys, would love to hear your opinions..

Take care and good night from Germany

Quakecom

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I use a KKM intake and analyze my oil ( extended drain intervals ). I have had no problems whatsoever.

i believe the K&N is actually a more efficent air filter than the stock filter. So i don't see how the k&N and dirtier oil could be connected. however stranger things have happened

I highly doubt a K&N would cause dirtier oil. First off if you where getting dust and dirt coming into your motor it would cause damage to the motor. I imagine it would take alot of dust to get past the piston rings and into the crankcase, and if say that was the case i'd imagine you'd be experiencing heavy oil consumption.

well, take a look at the thread over at fordtrucks.com yourself. K&N Thread

Quakecom

It is an intresting thread,,,,,

Think about it, if you're getting alot of dirt into your motor you're going to be doing serious damage to your motor, people would have realized that long ago and stopped using them.

The bottom line is, K&N promises massive HP, Torque, and MPG gains, but doesn't deliver any of them.
I have been all over K&N's site and can't find this claim anywhere. They only state that they will "increase" HP and acceleration.

The guys over there also joke about the use of oil in an air filter. You will find loads of industrial equipment in use today which use this same technology. Oil is great for dusty environments.

They also joke that the performance gains are only at the high end of the RPM range. This is not new information. This has been known for years.

I just can't buy the whole "dirtier oil" thing at all. If someone should show me some accurate oil lab work with some proof, I would then think about it. A couple of internet guys saying they have had it down doesn't convince me of anything.

my stock filter let mud into my engine..... and i threw a rod as a consequence.....

filters

All the open element cotton/oil filters are more free flowing than the factory paper filters. They all also let in more dust as a consequence. That is always the compromise. The more "open" the filter, the more dirt is allowed through and the best filter at trapping microscopic dust also impedes airflow.
I am skeptical that a K&N or such filter could let in enough dust that your oil would become unacceptably dirty. I do expect that your oil can get dirtier quicker with a more open element than with a more restrictive one. I also belive that your MAS/ throttle body/ intake system would be much more likely to get dirty and fouled with the more open filter.
Once again, you can't get something for nothing.

My best guess would be that they are not oiling it properly. If you do not add enough oil in the right places then it will let more dirt in. I don’t know, I think that if a K&N was that bad with letting dirt in we would have heard of this years ago.

Warforms link is also intrsting.

It is true, you can not have both best flow and best
filteration. It is a contradition of principals.

I guess it would be like the smoothest rolling off-road tires. You can have a little of both but not the best of both.

Back