K&N FIPK and Borla Exhaust review and coments | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

K&N FIPK and Borla Exhaust review and coments

Jornum1

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Clifton, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Sport 4x4 SOHC
Well after much debate with you guys, and about 100 bucks, I finally got my borla in. Unfortunatly I couldnt do it myself, the dual inlets were at different lengths apart from each other then stock. a good two inches closer. The muffler was for a '98, and I have a '99 sport. I wanted to route the dual exhaust, but the guy who installed it suggested I didnt because of the tight space, and many wires, hoses and cables in the way. So I figured I would go with the single, and see how I like it. As for the inlet modification, they had to fabricate 2 custom pieces of pipe to go in after the 02 sesor, and into the muffler. That took a while, so it ended up taking a hour and a half for them to do it, and 113 bucks. Thats almost how much I paid for the whole damn cat back :) But oh well its great. I love it. I nice deep rumble in start up. Nothing different then stock on idle, but when you take off, it roars! I am very happy with it.
One question I have, and I will start a separate thread for it, but I didnt take off my stock resonator on the tailpipe. I didnt want it to be too loud. But I had my friend drive it around while I listened outside. It seemed not to be that loud from outside, but it roars in the cabin. IS this because of the resonator? Will it be too loud if I have it removed? Just a question
Now for the K&N FIPK. This this is very cool. Simple to install, and a noticable difference in passing power. I also noticed it was alot more powerful when I had a full truck. I noticed in the past when I had 4 or 5 people in, that it was a bit sluggish accelerating. Not anymore, it was great. It has a great sucking sound when you gun it, and it almost sounds liek a turbo acutally. But it was well worth the money.
So I give them both two thumbs up, but if your looking for performance for your buck, I would go with the K&N, I saw a difference even over the modified airbox, and the K&N drop in. The exhaust I didnt see much difference, but I did see many heads turn! So I think the muffler is mostly cosmetic. The filter, is pure performance. I guess that about sums it up.
Jason

------------------
'99 Sport SOHC Auto
K&N filter, Air box mod
Bosch 4+'s, Lowered, Eldebrock shocks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey Jornum1: I have a modified aire box and
K&N filt in my 2000 Sport SOHC. Did you say
you could tell an increase in performance
with the KKN over this set up? If you are
still convinced, I might have to try it out.
Of course it is winter and I think the KKN
might have a tougher time in the warmer
months.

Robert
Sport 4.0L sohc
modified air box/K&N filter
Magnaflow catback
SuperChip
airshocks

yes personaly I could tell a difference, in highway passing, and at mid range speeds. When you want to pass someone, it just takes off. I think that it would be better on acceleration, if the stupid auto trans knew how to shift right ;-) Or at least the way i would shift! I see you have a superchip, does it really help your acceleration, and shifting points? But to answer your question, I think that either the K&N, or I would imagine the KKM are your best bets for performance. Its not really louder then the modified airbox, but I did notice more of a sucking sound when you punch the gas. It sounds kinda cool. Like a turbo almost. But if you are looking for performance, and going between a cat back, and a K&N, or KKM, I would definetly say go for the conical filter. Easy to install, and I think definetly worth the money. Hope this helped. if you can let me know about the superchip from your perspective. Thats probably goign to be my next mod.
Thanks,
Jason

Hey Jornum1: I guess I'll trust you and spring for the 100 bucks for the KKM. So how does the old air box come off...it looks like I have to take the right the wheel well covering out to get to the two nuts on the left side of the box?

Now, to help you...YES.definitely get the SuperChip, especially for the SOHC with automatic trans. It will help the shifts in the mid ranges 1800-3800rpm. It will give better throttle response there also. It definitely feels and sounds more responsive.
What it won't do is give instant response from 0 to 1800 rpms and it will not stop that annoying over rev at 5500 rpms, but I still won't give it back..

Also I was reading some of your other treads, and I don't think you should take your resonator off. I started my exhaust without a resonator and had to put one on because it actually howled at 1600 and 3200 rpms. This was not a deep powerful good thing, it was a
reverberating "what the heck is that bad" thing.

One last question, have you tried performance plug wires yet? (Splitfires, Jacobs or Accel)
I want to try those also, but first I got to know, does your '99 have those big 1" wide clip things on the plug wires? If so I can just order '99 wires since the 2000 wires are not out yet.

Robert
2000 SOHC
K&N, Mod a/b
Superchip
magnaflow
airshocks

well when you get the KKM I am sure they will have detailed instructions. But its really easy to take the airbox out. you just take the top off, unscrew it from the intake tube. Disconnect the plug for the MAS. Then basicly pull on the box. THere are 4 rubber plugs holding it in. Two on the bottom, and two on the left fender wall. You cant take the bracket that holds the air box off, untill you pull the actual airbox out. Then the screws are accessable. Get it? Its alot easier then it sounds. Just pull the thing out after you take the top off.
Yeah and I hear good things about the superchip. I think I will go with it soon. I am just trying to save for my wheels and tires, but I keep buying smaller things for my truck instead :) Its very addicting.

About the wires. I am just running autozone wires right now. I had to replace them when I changed my plugs, because one of the boots was stuck on a plug. I had to rip it off. Not a fun experience. I dont know if you put plugs on yet. But its a pain. Especiall the back left corner one. You have to get at it from behind your front wheel, from under the fender. But mine was bad because it was that one that the boot was stuck on. Figures right? But anyway. I just ordered my splitfire dual cores. I will pick them up tomorrow from my local speed shop. Seems like you cant go wrong with the bosch/splitfire combo. Alot of people praise it. So I am goign to try it out to. Well hope I helped some, and thank for the info.
Jason
Oh yeah i did decide not to take the resonator off, after I called borla, and the suggested I dont.

------------------
'99 Sport SOHC Auto
K&N FIPK, Borla Exhaust
Bosch 4+'s, Lowered 2 inches, Eldebrock shocks

Back