• Register Today It's free!

K&N FIPK installed

BRacing

Reaction score
City, State
Northern California
Year, Model & Trim Level
'96 Explorer Sport
I installed my K&N FIPK today in my 96 X-Sport 4.0. Installation took about an hour, while cleaning misc parts while i was at it (MAF sensor, TB, etc). Once again, here's the how and why FYI...

I chose the K&N FIPK over the KKM one because of my excellant previous experiences with K&N, plus their untarnished reputation.

The installation went great with clear instructions, all the correct parts, and simple tools. It also gave me a chance to shoot some TB cleaner into the MAF wires to clean them out.

After finishing up, double checking everything, and resetting the computer, i was off for a test drive. It felt as if i had more pull throughout the RPM band, especially between 2,000 and 4,000 RPMs, although the engine revs easier beyond 4,000 now. Wide Open Throttle (WOT) is amazing now; part throttle response increased too.

The intake sound is deep and throaty, especially at WOT, helping match my custom exhaust. I haven't had a chance to do a full WOT pull to 100mph, but i expect it to really help out 3rd and 4th gears. I also look forward to testing the MPG, as I now expect to be beyond 27mpg (freeway).

For $150 (Summit Racing), I feel the money was well spent. It feels as if it added some power, as well as a great tone. I think it will also improve my MPG, if i keep my foot out of it. But i love that new sound!!!!!

One improvement though could be to replace that bumpy plastic intake tube. Especially where it necks-down and makes the turn into the TB. Anyone make these yet?

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

One improvement though could be to replace that bumpy plastic intake tube. Especially where it necks-down and makes the turn into the TB. Anyone make these yet?
Do you mean something like this?

Originally posted by bigtigexplorer
Do you mean something like this?

where did you get the tube? was it a homemade or customed tube? it looks awesome!

I WISH that was mine. If you click the picture it will take you to a web site with all the info.

bigtig, thanks for posting that.:)

i've wanted a smooth intake tube for a long time. i didnt check out the sit yet, i just saw the picture. i hope it works for the OHV 4.0 (or i'll have to make it work).

it took me to explorerunderground :(

i looked through all of their links and i couldnt find any like that. it must be an intake meant for another vehicle. i wish i knew which one would fit. i was looking on a few websites that sell intakes, and i saw one for a jeep that looked like it might fit.

i just dont want to spend the money on something that "might" fit.
:(

Leenjen, here is all the info I found on this intake.
Text found at http://web.lconn.com/explorer/intake.html

These are brand new custom made intakes for the SOHC 4.0L V6 Ford Explorers (1997-up) and Explorer Sport Tracs. It is a complete and easy bolt on kit. Can be installed in less than an hour with simple hand tools. It looks really nice and sounds pretty mean.

included in this kit:
chrome plated aluminum intake pipe
aluminum mass air flow meter adapter
K&N style cone air filter
all hoses and connections (red or blue)
mounting brackets and hose clamps
10-15 horsepower increased performance!!!

They are $200.00 plus $10.00 for shipping. When you order please include a shipping address, color of connectors (red or blue), and build date if you are purchasing for a Sport Trac (should say on your door jam). You can pay through www.paypal.com or send a check or money order to:

Ben Jenkins
2718 Honeysuckle Walk
Spring, TX 77388

WOW!!!

I'd love to find/make one of those! Unfortunately, i have a '96, with the OHV engine, not the SOHC version. Anyone know where we can find one for the OHV one? If not, i'll begin making a prototype.;)

-Brad

Brad, if you can make one, let me know. i want to see what it looks like. if i like it, i'll pay you to make one for me (if you wouldn't mind).

Brad, If you get one made, be sure to post some pics. I'm sure there are more than a couple of people that would be interested.

well...

We're working on it.
To have one made up is easy.
But what i want to do is make 100, and then sell them to the members. First, i want to make sure everything works great, and it actually had a performance increase. I don't want to spend time making something that doesn't work.

It should be ready around Thanksgiving.

well if ya make it for a 95 ill buy it.
ive been looking for a chrome intake tube for a while

You know what would look sweet, if you could have the intake powder-coated. Then offer it in various colors liek red, blue, etc.

normally the different collored intake tubes and what not i associate with rice burners. but the more i think about it it would look pretty good. im trying to go with a black and blue color scheme in my car. everything will be black except the dome lights and neons and guages and hopefully some of the trim if i can get it.

Brad,
If your able to get everything setup, what would the price be (pall-park figure) and would it include the filter?

well it wouldn't have to include the filter. you could just go to an auto parts store and pick up a K&N conical filter for $40.

well i think the filter wouldnt matter. all it would be is something that would go from the MAF to the TB. and any filter stock or afetr market hooks up to the MAF anyway

what i'm thinking...

I'm thinking about having it made in black, either satin or gloss. No polish. Or i could leave it raw and have the customer paint/coat it their own personal preference.

It will NOT be made from aluminum, probably from stainless steel.

It won't be as pretty as the one shown above, all polished and pretty, but it won't look like garbage either.

Target price is $75. This should include all the clamps/connectors needed to install it. It will NOT include an air filter. You should be able to use the stock air box, KKM, or K&N FIPK.

Right now i'm trying to find a source to supply the silicone hose, like the blue pieces above. If anyone knows where i can get hose like that in a specific size, let me know.

BUT, before it's released, i will dyno a couple different explorers with it to make sure that there IS a difference in HP, not just being sold for looks. If it doesn't work, then why try it?

Look for a release date around Thanksgiving or Christmas.

most autoparts stores sell those silicone hoses. they come in all different diameters and lengths. i was in A&A auto the other day and saw a wall full of them in almost every color.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well since your close to me id be glad to let you use my X as a guini pig.

if i can get a free one when its aproved =) hehe

Back