• Register Today It's free!

K&N FIPK = lower top speed

explr1

Reaction score
City, State
Wappingers Falls, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 PONTIAC G6 GT
I put on a K&N FIPK three weeks ago and have been pleased with it up until today. I went up a little hill here called Stormville Mtn. It's a long straight uphill stretch with no police activity. I use to be able to take it at 90 easy with plenty of power to spare with my stock airbox and K&N drop in. With the FIPK the truck wouldn't go over 80 and was really working to keep that speed!!! Whats up???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

poor performance

First things first. In bright light, inspect your install. Make sure you did not knock a vacuum tube loose, forget a line etc. Check EVERYTHING in the general area of the installation slowly and methodically. Double check the install itself for correctness against the directions. Yes, I know this is a simple mod, but I also know I have screwed up simple things before.

Did you reset the computer?
Was there a headwind?
Did you have a heavy load?
Was your tranny slipping?

Checked everything over again and I did reset the computer when I first installed it. I did try something different today. I took off the Drycharger filter wrap and it went over 80 this time. It's staying off from now on unless it's raining..........

I don't like those drycharger/prefilter things, I think they defeat the purpose of an open-element filter.

Do I just have to disconnect the batery to restart the computer

Back