• Register Today It's free!

K&N FIPK - Worth IT?

Agent_51

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT SOHC
So im thinking about picking up a new intake tomorrow. Before i drop the money, is it worth it? I thought i read a thread somewhere that when they put thier FIPK they actually lost some milage per gallon, is that common? I know this isnt going to give me like 30 more horse power or anything like that, the main thing im worried about is the loss of gas milage. Is there any seat of the pants performance gains? Sounds? Anything?

I already have a bullet catback exhuast with 3" pipe (i think) maybe 2.5" and the vehicle is a 2000 SOHC 4dr.

Thanks for helping me out.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Improving the intake side is a good move. I would recommend the KKM instead of the K & N version; much less money.

Good luck.....

From what I have read, K&Ns only help at the very top end. Racing, heavy pulling, hard fast climbing, that sort of thing. Day to day driving, you probably won't notice a single thing.

Agent,
You'll definately enjoy the intake upgrade and shouldn't lose mpg unless you dig into the throttle more after you install it. I did notice that you're in CA.

The KN FIPK is CARB certified, while the KKM isn't. That's one reason the KN costs more. All you need to do though is get the KKM (much cheaper, $90, www.kustomz.com ) and get a KN sticker from a $10 KN cleaner kit or by emailing them. The vast majority of smog inspectors won't know the difference, and you've saved about $100.

My KKM gave a boost in power ( seat of the pants ) as well as a good mileage boost.

Yeah, i read things about the KKM being the same thing but 100 bucks cheaper. There are two reasons why Im gonna go with the K&N.

1. The whole CARB deal.

2. I dont want to order over the net. Its not security its the fact that i dont have a credit card!

Ill probably end up doing this tomorrow. Money in my bank account is like ammo in a gun barrell.

Cool, good luck!

I love my K&N FIPK on my '97. I notice improvements in day to day driving as well as heavy acceleration. The rumble my engine makes now puts a smile on my face as well.

Dead Link Removed

Well i went to go buy it today, but both places i stopped didnt have it in stock. DOH!

Hey weebo, I called ORW and asked if they had it and they said they did but they had it for the explorer with the flat top intake, and since yours looks exactly like mine, im guessing we dont have the flat version? Am I right in assuming this?

Ok so i went to ORW today to see if I could get them to verify if the FIPK they had in stock was the right one. So i take it down there, pop the hood for the guy and he goes, yep that'll work. So i throw some cash at him and haul some serious ass home laughing maniacally all the way.

So i get home and start taking it apart. After i take the airbox out and the intake tube i notice at the top of the instructions it says for 97-00 OHV explorers. OH NOES! I thought, OK this might still work. Nope They gave me part number 57-2527 and i need 57-2528. I cant believe they gave me the one for the OHV after the moron popped my hood and even looked right at my engine.

So i figured this all out after they close so i have to wait till tomorrow to get the new one, which they probably wont have in stock and ill have to end up waiting weeks to get.

SUCKS!

agent_51....

I'm not 100% sure, but I'd say that the one that they gave you will work. I had to drill a hole for the oxygen sensor on mine even. As long as the pipe is the right diameter to and the hoses will work to clamp the intake tube onto your throttle body and mas then everything will work out alright.

Originally posted by weebo
agent_51....

I'm not 100% sure, but I'd say that the one that they gave you will work. I had to drill a hole for the oxygen sensor on mine even. As long as the pipe is the right diameter to and the hoses will work to clamp the intake tube onto your throttle body and mas then everything will work out alright.

Oxygen sensor?

Yep, on my '97 with sohc there was a sensor mounted in the factory intake tube....I just looked back at my information, and it's the 'air temp. sensor', not the oxygen sensor.

oops.

Weebo, whats the part # on the one your using?

mine is the 57-2528

I believe the 57-2513 will work as well.

Yeah they gave me 57-2527. Like you said, it might have worked, but i would rather just wait the time to get it ordered than use the wrong part.

Thanks for your help man.

within a week, my parents will be getting me an explorer ('97 or newer) because i got a full ride to college, and they said that they will get me some accessories as a graduation gift. the first thing that came to my mind was a new intake and exhaust since. i know the different brands for the intakes: kkm and k&n. my first question is what is the difference between the 1st generation k&n and the 2nd generation? also, i was wondering how noticible the power and mileage increase was? and finally, which produces more power/ mileage; the kkm or the k&n? thanks a bunch guys.

-ken :usa:

the 2nd generation adds a heat shield. I'm not sure if it's worth the $100 extra for the gen 2, but I went with it anyways.

if you're getting a '97 or newer, then I'd get a '97 with the SOHC engine. It's got tons of power and I absolutely love mine. The '98's, '99's and '00's are basically the same but you'll spend more money. For the money you'll save, invest in a new intake (k&n or kkm, I'd say they're the same), a new exhaust, and possibly a superchip if you are willing to run premium gas. Other than that, I'd say invest in the warrior shackles and tighten up the torsion bars to get about 1.5" or 2" of lift so you can fit some 31's or 32's and make your explorer look truly amazing.

Intense Performance Powerstack cone filter- best for perfrmance- K&N is also good performance wise but if you go off roading then i would suggest not the K&N go here
Dead Link Removed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thanks for all the helpful guys. i am now an informed consumer and i will talk it over with my parents since they will be the ones paying.

-ken

Back