K&N FIPK | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

K&N FIPK

So Cal 96 XLT

Reaction score
I ordered my FIPK today and should have it by next week. I noticed it had "Generation II" printed on it, is this new or did I not notice it before? I would appreciate any feedback (pos or neg) from those of you who have this installed in your Explorer.

Also, I am looking at exhausts. ORW recommended I stay away from Flowmaster (too loud in the cabin) but says Borla or Dynamax (?) is good for the Explorer. Any thoughts??

Should I wait to get the Bosch +4's and Splitfire wires?

Thanks in advance!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey SoCalXLT, what engine do you have? I have been looking like a MANIAC for a FIPK that will fit my 5.0. WHY THE HECK DONT THEY HAVE IT??? i was at the ORW off Balboa Ave and that old wrinkley guy with glasses told me the EXACT same thing about a FlowMaster cat-back. "TOO LOUD. WILL DEFINATELY RESONATE IN THE CAB..." He also suggested the Dynomax SuperTurbo or if i have the $$$ to just go for the Borla. Wouldnt the DynoMax FloThru be better than the DynoMax SuperTurbo? The construction is just like Borla with the pipe that just flows in the diagonal direction rather than the S-curve like the SuperTurbo?!?! I'll write more later when someone responds with some answers!! grrr....

The Super Turbo is a very nice muffler, the Ultra Flow may be better but its 3x the price. Put a Super Turbo on about three weeks ago
and love it!

------------------
2000 Sport 2x4
dynomax exhaust K&N filter

HuiDaddy - I have the 4.0 L V6 engine. I don't recall if the K&N book had a part # listed for the V8. Good luck with that.

KCSport - ORW gave me a ball park price for Dynomax of $250 and Borla for $350. I don't know which Dynomax system it was...just to give me an idea of price, I guess. How much did you spend on the Super Turbo?

Which exhaust would give me the best performance for the price? Any thoughts??

Thanks again.

As far as the K&N filter, I don't know what Gen II means.

As for exhaust, I have a Magnaflow aluminized muffler and I got a custom pipe made so the whole system is 2.25". It and the Filtercharger gave me about 25HP and a much better response. Oh, the muffler and pipe put me out $210.

------------------
Alec Rosenbaum
University of TX @ Austin

1996 Explorer Sport
4.0L V-6 2WD
K&N Filtercharger
Magnaflow Cat-back
Aux lights/horns
Custom Stereo

HuiDaddy, If my memory serves me correctly, K&N does make FIPK II for the 5.0. You may have to call K&N directly and speak with them. I called months ago, but forgot the price. I forgot there number too.

------------------
Norman B.
97 Mountaineer 5.0 V8 AWD
KKM Tru-Rev with Homemade Ram Air
BOSCH PLATINUM +4's
Prestige Platinum 750a-APS alarm w/ remote start
Edelbrock Performer IAS Shocks
More to Come Before Summer :)

Back