chinx

Reaction score
City, State
arcadia, ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
hey guys,

got a pretty specific question.

my '97 v8 awd has flat air filter, not the cone on some other '97 v8's. i want to get the k&n FIPK, but it seems that it's only available for the cone application. that true? since it seems the whole filter box assembly is replaced, does it matter? would it fit? thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i am pretty sure all the stock filters are flat....i have a 99' explorer and the stock filter was flat....i put in a k&n fipk....the k&n fipk comes with the cone filter....the stock air box is removed.

hope this helps

sweet. thanks!

does the kit give you a noticeable boost or rumble?

Although I have a 4.0 OHV, it really does sound pretty aggressive but I really couldn't feel much of a difference power-wise.

Originally posted by johnny57
i am pretty sure all the stock filters are flat....i have a 99' explorer and the stock filter was flat....i put in a k&n fipk....the k&n fipk comes with the cone filter....the stock air box is removed.

hope this helps

hey Johnny57, is yours a v8?

the 96 and some of the 97 V8 Explorers had stock conical filters.
I believe when Ford switched the engines to the GT40P heads, they also switched to the flat filters (late 97 model year).
The K&N FIPK says it's for the conical filter only, but will fit fine when replacing a stock flat filter. A little tweaking may be needed for mounting locations, but nothing major.

The only problem you MIGHT have, depends on how smart your emissions techs are (if you have emissions)
Considering that K&N is listed for conical filter only, if the techs are knowledgable, they may not let it fly if they realize yours did not have the conical stock.

I hope all that makes sense :confused:

yeah that makes sense. thanks a bunch =)

what's interesting is that mine's actually an early '97; got it feb '97, but it has the flat filter. and mine does have emissions, it's a cali truck

pardon my ignorance, but the gt40 heads are headers that come on the 5.0 v8s?

ok.. maybe I shouldn't have said late model year.. more like, it depends on when it was built.. the actual manufacture date :confused:
and I said "heads" not "headers" :D
the heads are what hold the valves, basically. They're the intermediary of the intake and exhaust.

what about the MAC Air Induction kit? they make a kit similar to K&N's gen II FIPK, and claim a 14.4 hp increase...for ~$140. and it comes w/ chrome tubes, too. is K&N really the golden one to get???

which one should i get? i'm torn! :D

here's the link to MAC's site: http://www.macperformance.com/store/product1.cfm?SID=3&Product_ID=353

someone, some advice? i'd really greatly appreciate :D

If you don't have emissions testing, go with KKM, MAC, etc.
If you DO have emissions testing, the K&N FIPK is the only air-intake replacement that has a CARB number and is emissions legal.

Back