• Register Today It's free!

K&N vs KKM noise level

cmayna

Reaction score
City, State
Menlo Park, Ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 EB & 97 Sport
I want to improve my intake airflow on my 96EB and have been considering either K&N or KKM. I've read on KKM's site that due to the filter not being enclosed that there would be more noise. What about K&N ?

I'm not a noise lover ! I want it as quiet as possible. Recommendations anyone ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

K&N and KKM are very similar. The engine only sounds louder when you take off and get it above about 2700 rpms. It's a nice sound, too.

It won't make a big difference at all. For some, it's not even noticeable. If you want quiet, leave it stock.

I wouldn't say I noticed any difference in sound with regular driving. Any difference at all was probably wishful thinking.

Comparing the KKM kit to the KN FIPK (open filter kit) there is almost no comparison, they're very similar. The KN FIPK generation II has a heatshield so it may yield a bit better performance, but not sound difference.

If talking about a KN drop-in replacement filter, it will definately be quieter, but won't yield the same power gains.

Back