Kayak Transport Options for 2020 Explorer Base With Bare Roof | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Kayak Transport Options for 2020 Explorer Base With Bare Roof

mgny

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer - Base
I just received a 2020 Ford Explorer, it’s a base model (fleet only). It’s stripped of every feature imaginable to cut costs. My biggest issue is the lack of side rails on the roof to attach cross bars to transport a kayak. I get a new vehicle every 18-24 months so not looking to sink a ton of money into a solution but not even sure what my options are. I see none of the major roof carrier companies make anything for a 2020 Explorer with a bare roof, so do I even have an option here? I don’t see side rails as an available accessory through Ford. Hard to find any info with this model still being so new. I have no experience with hitches and trailers but is that a way that I could go? The vehicle doesn’t have a hitch but I am confident I could install anything and then uninstall before I turn in the vehicle with a set of decent instructions. But again, with this vehicle being so new to market I am struggling finding any information regarding what exactly I’d have to do for wiring. Any advice towards my situation that could help get to transporting a kayak before spring time fishing would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I haven't seen that Base model Jon, but from what the OP states, there doesn't appear to be any type of rail that those could clamp onto as shown in the pictures and installation video.

Peter

I just received a 2020 Ford Explorer, it’s a base model (fleet only). It’s stripped of every feature imaginable to cut costs. My biggest issue is the lack of side rails on the roof to attach cross bars to transport a kayak. I get a new vehicle every 18-24 months so not looking to sink a ton of money into a solution but not even sure what my options are. I see none of the major roof carrier companies make anything for a 2020 Explorer with a bare roof, so do I even have an option here? I don’t see side rails as an available accessory through Ford. Hard to find any info with this model still being so new. I have no experience with hitches and trailers but is that a way that I could go? The vehicle doesn’t have a hitch but I am confident I could install anything and then uninstall before I turn in the vehicle with a set of decent instructions. But again, with this vehicle being so new to market I am struggling finding any information regarding what exactly I’d have to do for wiring. Any advice towards my situation that could help get to transporting a kayak before spring time fishing would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

I'm going to message you. Please check your messages.

@mgny are you still following this thread?

Peter

I'm going to message you. Please check your messages.

Just did!

@mgny are you still following this thread?

Peter

Yes I am, sorry, I don't get on the computer too much but I appreciate the replies.

So yes there are options for generic bare roofs but I haven't seen any that would give me enough confidence to go highway speeds with a 100+lb kayak strapped to it. Companies will often make for a bare roof option that is vehicle specific which I would be fine with as long as the weight rating was high enough but there is nothing for the 2020 Explorer with bare roof available (at least as of right now).

Back