• Register Today It's free!

Kayaks and Roof Lights?

junior426

Reaction score
City, State
New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
Hey guys. Finally buying an explorer and have lots of plans for it. Wondering if anyone has been able to run kayaks on the top along with roof lights? Or if anyone has mounted their kayaks on top of a roof rack (basket style)? Please let mw know what each of you guys do, pictures would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Never had kayak on top with a basket type roof rack but i just ran it with stock bars and a foam kayak support. Sorry this doesnt help much.

I transport my kayaks on a special trailer.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 288
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 284

The roof rack is rated to 50 or 60kg (110 to 130 lb). so if the kayak is less than that, transporting it upside down on top should be fine - just use one or two ratchett straps.

I made a light bar that flips down so you can load up the roof and it stops the whistle I got from the tights I had will get pics once my computer is up again. cost 12 bucks to make the light bar

I think the 3rd gen factory roof racks are rated at 200lbs.

Apparently I wasnt real clear in what I was trying to find out. Im trying to find out about mounting roof lights that dont get in the way when I have kayaks on top of the roof rack.

Apparently I wasnt real clear in what I was trying to find out. Im trying to find out about mounting roof lights that dont get in the way when I have kayaks on top of the roof rack.

Oh....that is different. You would just need to ensure that you get a light and/or mount that has a low enough profile so it doesn't interfere with the kayak(s).

you can do lik I did and have a light bar that flips down. I can throw a sheet of wood up there and it doesn't touch the lights. just you can't use the lights when the roof is loaded

Back