• Register Today It's free!

KB blower on 5.0 X??

Rockey

Reaction score
City, State
Cincinnati, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
Has anyone installed a Kenny Bell blower on a 5.0 Explorer? I think the torque would be great considering the weight of an X. Since I just took possesion of my 98 Limited 5.0 tonight after 3.5 weeks of waiting (ebay purchase) I can tell it won't be long before I start modifying it. If a KB can't be modified I'll start looking at the 347 route.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It has been done on an explorer motor in a ranger. Look for a member here by the name of tmsoko. It was quite a bit of work. From what i remember, he had to run a mustang-style lower intake and had the drive on the blower cut down by a machine shop.

I'd start with a midly built up 347 shortblock first. You really wouldn't be able to take full advantage of that KB with the stock hyperutectic pistons.

Nitrous SSC said:
I'd start with a midly built up 347 shortblock first. You really wouldn't be able to take full advantage of that KB with the stock hyperutectic pistons.

Ah thats right. I forgot tabout the hperpathetic pistons. They handle boost great, its detonation they have no tolerance for. But then again, I've never seen a blown combo that hasn't experienced detonation. So, 347 will be the plan now, then A KB down the line. Thanks guys.

Nice numbers on your N/A'd 306

Nitrous SSC said:
Nice numbers on your N/A'd 306

Thanks. Those numbers were with good ole GT40 P heads with a port job and Manley proflo valves.

Back