How to: - KD-AV7010 Pro-538W Metra-5805 7" LCD and CB In Dash Install | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: KD-AV7010 Pro-538W Metra-5805 7" LCD and CB In Dash Install

Prefix for threads which are instructional.

dr_starcraft

Reaction score
City, State
Houghton, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT
So the bottom line right now is that I am still waiting for parts. I am a very firm believer that if you can't get it on ebay, then you really don't need it. So I've been wanting to install my cb in the dash like I've seen a couple others do around here, which meant that I was going to need an aftermarket radio. After much deliberation (with myself) I decided to go all out. I am going to use the following parts:

Uniden Pro-538W
-Only cb I know of that had a speaker on the front faceplace of the unit. eliminating the need to figure out a place for an external speaker.
Img2006-10-14_0011.jpg

JVC KD-AV7010
-Always had pretty good luck with JVC so I thought that I would stick with them and see what happens. The price was right for a single din sized unit with a pop out 7" lcd screen, which from what I have heard can be modified to watch DVD's while trying to keep it in between the lines. :cool:
--No pics yet, haven't recieved it, and I had to sent it to my confirm PAYPAL address... so it's gotta go to the parents house.--

Metra 99-5805
-An install kit that claims to hold 2 din sized units. It looks like it might work out. Although the CB is slightly oversized, so I might use the double din plate and just stack them right on top of each other.
Img2006-10-14_0003.jpg

Workman PA TH-55FP
-Black ABS PA weatherproof PA speaker. What else can I say?
Img2006-10-14_0002.jpg

Hornet Deer Avoidance System

-Living in the the upper penisula of Michigan, deer tend to be a problem at night. So I thought I would give an electronic deer whistle a try. Though it has little to do with the above install, I figured I would put it in while I've got my switch wiring ripped apart.
--No pics yet, haven't recieved it--

So thats where I am headed. Obviously I can't really do much without the AV7010 since that has to be fittied with the CB into the dash before anything else takes place. It will probably be next weekend when I make the trek home to work on the install in the comfort of a lighted semi heated garage. I did however start pulling the bezel and such out because I didn't know what to expect behind the radio. I have the Ford Premium sound (99 XLT), so I wanted to be sure what I kind of connections I was getting myself into. Here is a pic of the back of radio.
Img2006-10-14_0020.jpg

Do anyone have any insight on what kit I need to mate with the connectors in the car so I don't have to cut anything off. Not that I am planning on putting the factory **** back in, but just in case something happens I would like to keep the option. (Like most)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well I pulled out the bezel and disconnected the switches and such. I thought I would at least see how things might fit. Or if they were going to fit at all. My first impression of the situation is that these things are going to be REAL tight in the spot, HOWEVER, I think that it may be possible to get them in there without doing any cutting. I'll probably end up using the "double din" face plate that came with the metra kit to mount up the Head unit and cb stacked right on top of each other. You can see in the following pictures that the plate will probably need to be modified a bit to make the corners square so I can push the cb down as far as possible in the mount. There does look to be plenty of hole on the side of the metra kit to find some combination of them to get everything to tighten down. I had to pull out the center console pockets / cup holders so I could get to my terminal strip that has all the connections for my Fog light override, Brown wire mod, Cb connections, and a decent sized ground wire running right to the closest seat bolt. I pulled out the old CB and hooked up the new one to the strip just to test it out with the PA and the front speaker. After a few tests it seems like the front speaker might be a little quiet, but that is to be expected since its only about 2" in diameter.... We will see soon enought I guess. The PA sounds pretty good, so I'm pretty happy with it overall performance. Noticed the size difference between the 538w and 510xl.

Parts, and other essentials...
Img2006-10-14_0022.jpg

Dash Torn Apart

Img2006-10-14_0017.jpg

Metra installed into the bezel
Img2006-10-14_0009.jpg

CB in the bezel
Img2006-10-14_0012.jpg

Rounded corner, prolly need some sand paper
Img2006-10-14_0013.jpg

Size comparison
Img2006-10-14_0018.jpg

I was pretty confused about what harness I needed to get since all the information I could find said I need the metra 70-1771 harness, but it only had one connector! The radio obviously had two so I was thrown for a loop until I decided to go out to the car and pull the harness out of the radio that wan't included turn the key and see what happens. As it turns out, with the wire plugged in all the rear audio controls work, and when it is yanked out, the they dont. So I guess it's pretty safe to say the second harness is only used for the back seat audio controls. .... We won't be needing those anymore.

Got the Hornet, but it's been raining non stop so I'll have to wait for it to dry a bit before I try to run wire through the entire engine compartment without a garage. I will post some pic's up tonight at least of the actually unit.

Update on the Head Unit. "millionbuy" ebay seller hasn't even shipped the item because on top of a confirmed paypal address they also require a phone number. I had to call to get that squared away. Hopefully it will make it for the weekend, but now that seems unlikely.... damn.

Well the rain continues.... I've had about 8 hours of no rain, so I havne't really been able to get anything installed. I guess it'll all have to wait.

The JVC... I called millionbuy and they hadn't even shipped it yet. So needless to say, I was kind of pissed. The guy told me that when they got the unit in (from wherever) it was messed up so they would have to order another one. Since I didn't really feel like waiting, or getting a possibly messed up unit I decided to get a refund.

The good news.

As I got my refund almost immediately I decided to start shopping. (Millionbuy may have let me down as a whole, but you really can't complain about getting a paypal refund 5 minutes after you hang up) To make a long story short, I've ended up ordering a brand new Kenwood 617Dvd and having it DHL overnighted to my place. So the install with proceed! :)

Check out THIS thread for the result.

I changed HU's but kept everything else the same.

This is how I fit mine in...:rolleyes:

Center.jpg

You can here the cb just fine.

Back