• Register Today It's free!

Keep? 2016? 2017? My dilemna....

steve04KU

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Ford Explorer Sport
I have a 2013 Sport and LOVE IT. My lease is up at the end of next February, so I'm faced with a big decision.... The dealer has already offered to swap me out to a new 2016 with no money out of pocket and my same monthly payment. My BIGGEST ISSUE with the 2016 Sport is the fact that the technology will be outdated with the 2017 Sync 3. I'd rather just hold off it all possible and get a 2017. I may try to extend my lease (if possible) or just re-finance and hold onto it for awhile longer.... I doubt the 2017's are out until next Summer. I'm just really hesitant to jump into a 2016 despite the deal. The Sync 3 is a HUGE deal IMO....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Why don't you just tell them you want sync 3 in the '16 and it's a deal?

I'm pretty into technology. I haven't seen Sync 3 yet to really be the one to comment on the difference between them but I can say that after spending a few weeks with Sync 2, I have no complaints. I love it. Very intuitive. Voice works. I love the layout and touch. The "buttons" are back on the 2016. Not sure what else I would need from this. I guess there is always something new to add. Anyway, I like this a lot.

If you can get into a 16 with no money out of pocket and the same payment, that's a no brainer IMO. Who's to say that will be there for you next year.

Why don't you just tell them you want sync 3 in the '16 and it's a deal?

If only it were that easy.

IMO the Sync 3 is going to be a huge technology upgrade. It's too bad the Explorers are delayed a year in that regard.

That sounds like a pretty pee poor reason to spend more money when you can be in a new car right now.

Very poor logic.

That sounds like a pretty pee poor reason to spend more money when you can be in a new car right now.

Very poor logic.

My 2013 has 14,000 miles on it. I consider it new. But yeah, I get the warranty thing. I just don't want to be stuck in a 2016 for 3 years when the technology is about to be outdated already.

I'm confident the swap of leases will be there now and later.

My 2013 has 14,000 miles on it. I consider it new. But yeah, I get the warranty thing. I just don't want to be stuck in a 2016 for 3 years when the technology is about to be outdated already.

I'm confident the swap of leases will be there now and later.

I'm just a dummy, but what if SYNC 3 has issues?? This is the "launch" of it in some 2016 models and it can take several years to work out the bugs. It seems that SYNC 2 (with added buttons) has been "fleshed out". Could you have wished, in hindsight, that you would gone ahead and have gotten the 2016?
Just something to consider.
TW

Some interesting comments. The functionality of these infotainment systems is driving new car sales and motivating a lot of people to upgrade solely for that reason. Just read an article on it.

Also a concern with being on the cutting edge. I think the V.3.6.2 I have now is very good. Vast improvement from the original version and I find it quite functional. What would concern me a bit is being an early adapter Sync 3 unless Ford really has the kinks worked out. I would not hold my breath on that one, but I would hope any problems would not be as severe as what was seen when the 5th gen. Ex first came out.

........ I may try to extend my lease (if possible) or just re-finance and hold onto it for awhile longer.... I doubt the 2017's are out until next Summer. I'm just really hesitant to jump into a 2016 despite the deal. The Sync 3 is a HUGE deal IMO....
My salesman told me that in order to extend your current lease you must have an order in for the new vehicle you want. I don't know if you'd be able to place and order for a 2017 Explorer in February.

Peter

Order bank for 2017 is likely to open March/April 2016 so you would only need a month or two to factory order your 17 and extend your lease.

SYNC3 isn't the only thing that will change on the 2017, there will be other improvements that won't be released until February/March 16. Colors change, wheels change, suppliers change, options change, etc,etc.

SYNC3 is the reason I'm waiting as well. Others are correct to say MFT currently works well and if that's all you need from your multimedia system then MFT is fine. My concern with MFT is End Of Life, meaning development and upgrades are done. What if current functionality is not the same when I overdose on Apple KoolAid and Apple marketing forces me to upgrade to the iPhone7s in 2016?

SYNC3 expandability to new technology will be a big deal. I know for a fact in talking to good sources Ford is chasing GM IntelliLink and 4G On* in a big way.

When Apple CarPlay or Android Auto or any other similar offering comes out I don't want to be left behind. When 5G is released in the next few years MFT won't be compatible, SYNC3 might. It's basically future proofing the next 3-4 years. But then again there will likely be an all new Explorer by then anyways.

I have a 2013 Sport and LOVE IT.

My 2013 has 14,000 miles on it. I consider it new.

Classic "NEED vs WANT" argument. Clearly you don't NEED a new Explorer based on these two comments so really you just WANT a new Explorer. Since it's all about what you WANT instead of what you need, if you want SYNC 3 then get it. If you have to wait then you have to wait. IMO, that's the price you have to pay to get what you WANT.

The dealer has already offered to swap me out to a new 2016 with no money out of pocket and my same monthly payment.

This IMO is a why you are even considering this. Dealer threw some bait your way and you're sniffing around. Say what you will about dealerships, but man, do they know how to sell cars.

Thanks for the advice guys, I realized I had a typo on the title of the thread, meant to say "2017" as well.

Yes, a need vs. want. I am likely going to hang onto my 2013 until the 2017's come out. Maybe they'll bring back Tuxedo Black Metallic! :)

The observation to the addiction to this stuff is fascinating. I suppose if Sync 3 offers a function that is usable and fulfills a requirement to a person, that's understandable. But, to suggest that the current offerings will become obsolete due to upgrade evaporation also suggest that the vehicle itself will become obsolete to the individual.

For myself, mine has 'My Ford Touch' with navigation. I suppose mine will be updated for content from time to time but, I don't see anything in it that would necessarily be obsolete for sometime to come if at all. Besides, whom is to say an upgrade to sync 3 won't become available to current vehicles? Also, I don't think the introduction of 5G tech is going to make current systems obsolete as an update will certainly be offered for any sync program. If not, Ford better have some 'splainin' to do.

I can't imagine people going into to negotiating a deal on a new car and asking about the longevity of service updates on the infotainment system as a possible deal breaker. But, it seems to be happening with the OP's opening question. The needs of one are not always the needs of the many, I suppose. :dunno: :salute:

Besides, whom is to say an upgrade to sync 3 won't become available to current vehicles?

Name one time an American car manufacturer has done this in the past with regards to offering a replacement (upgraded) hardware technology component. Your answer lies here....

Name one time an American car manufacturer has done this in the past with regards to offering a replacement (upgraded) hardware technology component. Your answer lies here....

This is one of those times where I'd rather own a Tesla. They do updates.

Besides, whom is to say an upgrade to sync 3 won't become available to current vehicles?
The In Vehicle Technology people.

Peter

Your suggestion would assume that it would never happen. I only state that it is possible. It seems that Tesla is doing it and I don't really think the major manufacturers are handcuffed in this regard. As it is for myself, I only wish my current system to work trouble free and that the navigation gets updated from time to time. :salute:

I think the electronics should be modular. They should provide a wiring harness and let us slap in whatever we want. Establish a common protocol.

I don't like relying on a car manufacturer for my electronics "all in one" solution anyway. They are always behind the curve. With blutooth streamng audio, nav and spotify on the phones, amongst many other things like voice, there really should be less dependence on mft or sync 3 anyway.

For example,rather than waste $1500 on fords headrest entertainment with a dvd player, (dvd really?) I spent less money on 2 iPads, strapped them to the headrests, then bought a WD Portable wiFi cloud and loaded it with 2000 MP4 movies. Now everyone in my vehicle can connect to my wifi cloud and stream movies to their device. Plus I have the two iPads which can also be used outside of the vehicle, as can the WD Portable cloud...like in a hotel or on a plane or at home. That's a much better and more robust use of $ rather than relying on fords entertainment system or wishing or hoping they will upgrade it. I'm sure everything in syn3 can be accomplished better and cheaper another way with a little thought. The important thing to me is that they provide USB ports and 110v. Just give me the connectivity and I'll do it myself. This way we customize the way we want it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think the electronics should be modular. They should provide a wiring harness and let us slap in whatever we want. Establish a common protocol.

I don't like relying on a car manufacturer for my electronics "all in one" solution anyway. They are always behind the curve. With blutooth streamng audio, nav and spotify on the phones, amongst many other things like voice, there really should be less dependence on mft or sync 3 anyway.

For example,rather than waste $1500 on fords headrest entertainment with a dvd player, (dvd really?) I spent less money on 2 iPads, strapped them to the headrests, then bought a WD Portable wiFi cloud and loaded it with 2000 MP4 movies. Now everyone in my vehicle can connect to my wifi cloud and stream movies to their device. Plus I have the two iPads which can also be used outside of the vehicle, as can the WD Portable cloud...like in a hotel or on a plane or at home. That's a much better and more robust use of $ rather than relying on fords entertainment system or wishing or hoping they will upgrade it. I'm sure everything in syn3 can be accomplished better and cheaper another way with a little thought. The important thing to me is that they provide USB ports and 110v. Just give me the connectivity and I'll do it myself. This way we customize the way we want it.

What can I say..Perfection!!

Back