Keep? 2016? 2017? My dilemna.... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Keep? 2016? 2017? My dilemna....

Thanks. Not complicated at all. If you want the iPads to watch the same movie at the same time and then stream the audio through the vehicles speakers using Bluetooth, it's a little more complicated because you need to split the video out and then into the iPads. Not a big deal it only requires another device and a couple of cables. But with everything being wireless these days and all the kids with headphones there really is less of a need. For the little ones they just keep the iPads on lower vol and they can each watch something different without bothering each other. It really is easy and a no brainer as far as video entertainment IMO. You can also use the same portable cloud device in your house to stream it to your tv either directly or via something like Apple TV. When I have some time ill sketch out the pieces and layout.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Speaking of technology, all my posts today have been done at 36,000 ft. :D

You should wait for the 2018, it will be better than the 2017....

Speaking of technology, all my posts today have been done at 36,000 ft. :D
So you're saying you were 'high' when you posted.:D

Peter

The only issue with allowing kids to hold iPads is what the iPad will do when the vehicle is involved in a collision, they become guillotines.

That why Ford crash tests all accessories before calling them "authorized".

I watched some crash video Ontario Police did to see what happens inside a police car with all the extra equipment that is supposedly airbag compliant and impact safe. The object that caused the most damage to to the Crash Test Dummy was a pager clipped onto the sunvisor, and a radar camera anchored to the dash.

While it may never happen it's just something to consider.

iPads are a way better solution than the OEM Invision DVD systems, I know I have both, maybe a decent compromise is a headrest iPad anchor system.

Two new iPad Pro's would be the ultimate!

Why doesn't anyone post pics of their new Sports? I'd love to see a new Magnetic Metallic...

I think the electronics should be modular. They should provide a wiring harness and let us slap in whatever we want. Establish a common protocol.

I don't like relying on a car manufacturer for my electronics "all in one" solution anyway. They are always behind the curve. With blutooth streamng audio, nav and spotify on the phones, amongst many other things like voice, there really should be less dependence on mft or sync 3 anyway.

For example,rather than waste $1500 on fords headrest entertainment with a dvd player, (dvd really?) I spent less money on 2 iPads, strapped them to the headrests, then bought a WD Portable wiFi cloud and loaded it with 2000 MP4 movies. Now everyone in my vehicle can connect to my wifi cloud and stream movies to their device. Plus I have the two iPads which can also be used outside of the vehicle, as can the WD Portable cloud...like in a hotel or on a plane or at home. That's a much better and more robust use of $ rather than relying on fords entertainment system or wishing or hoping they will upgrade it. I'm sure everything in syn3 can be accomplished better and cheaper another way with a little thought. The important thing to me is that they provide USB ports and 110v. Just give me the connectivity and I'll do it myself. This way we customize the way we want it.

That's not going to happen. It's too logical from a user POV. :) Let's hope the QNX Car Platform coming from the good folks at Blackberry will be everything that it is touted to be.

Why doesn't anyone post pics of their new Sports? I'd love to see a new Magnetic Metallic...

Mine is on the way...but it is Platinum White Tri. When it arrives I shall post the picts.:ca::smoke:

I have the Magnetic and it is awesome. I looked at all the colors and it was my favorite. My next choice would have been the Plat White. When I'm back in town I have to thrown on a few accessories and then I'll post some pics.

I've been in touch with my local dealer, might be driving a new Magnetic 2016 home next week....

I've debated on waiting for 2017 and the Sync 3, but I don't think it's worth the wait. At least to me....

We got magnetic, and absolutely love it. Many times, when we are eating, I will look out at our Explorer, and comment to my wife just how much I love the look of the gray, with the gloss black of the Sport. We recently tinted all the windows darker, and that was the icing on the cake.

I plan to purchase a 2018 model next. Figure that will give them time to work out any bugs with Sync 3.

I did a lot of haggling with 2 Ford dealerships, neither stood by their original offers so in the end I couldn't get a deal done on a 2016. That's a sign for me to hold off and at least wait until the 2017's come out with the Sync 3. I plan to finance and hang onto my 2013 for a bit longer when my lease ends in March. Currently I have 14,900 miles on the car! These were taking shortly after my Auto Butler detail last Friday....

12039452_10154318342024478_2714468133230409405_n.jpg

I did a lot of haggling with 2 Ford dealerships, neither stood by their original offers so in the end I couldn't get a deal done on a 2016. That's a sign for me to hold off and at least wait until the 2017's come out with the Sync 3. I plan to finance and hang onto my 2013 for a bit longer when my lease ends in March. Currently I have 14,900 miles on the car! These were taking shortly after my Auto Butler detail last Friday....

Wise choice I think. That's a great lookin Ex you have.
If it were me, I would keep that 2013 until the wheels would pop off. I plan on keeping my 2011 for over 200,000 miles.

Back