Keeper's Explorer. Take two. | Page 12 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Keeper's Explorer. Take two.

Welcome to my new registry. This is my 2000 Explorer XLT. Bought it from the original owner for $3,400. Came with the owners manual, and the paper work to prove it's been dealer maintained. When I purchased the Ex, it had 111,000 on the odometer, a small tear in the leather of the drivers seat, some sand in the back( take it the guy was a surfer, found a few surf board fins in the jack storage area). Gonna do a alignment when I get the chance, and start transferring all my mods from my Sport into this.

As she stands when I brought her home.

101_1666.jpg

101_1667.jpg

101_1668.jpg

101_1669.jpg

101_1670.jpg

How she currently stands.
102_0769.jpg

04/07/11

Current Mods:

Interior:

Exterior:

Lighting:
  • Sylvania Silverstars for the headlights.
  • x2 Hella 500 driving lights.
  • Fog light/ High beam mod.
  • LED Puddle lights, license plate lights.

Engine:4.0L SOHC

Suspension and Brakes

Drive Train

Projects for the future:
  • Quick disconnects for front and rear sway bar.
  • Possibly LS up front.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Shop around for prices, but a bottle goes for around $18.00 for the top three, Around $10 for the blends, and $4-$5 for the dino junk.

Your going to need 2.5 bottles for that solid cover your using.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Just fyi gear oil reeks, so be mindful where you put it our get it on.trust me

Steve: Just gonna do it in the buff, wear my Mechanix gloves and dog tags.

Well picked up some Royal purple.

Gear.jpg

Mentions that it has the friction modifier already in it...so I no longer need to add any...yes?

I'm doing my rear diff now. I had the gasket seal made, slapped it up, and realized the bolts were out of reach.... I made a total disaster of it so now I am letting it dry so I can peel it all back off and try again....

Just curious... my manual said 75w80 for the oil, why did you pick that weight?

I'm doing my rear diff now. I had the gasket seal made, slapped it up, and realized the bolts were out of reach.... I made a total disaster of it so now I am letting it dry so I can peel it all back off and try again....

Just curious... my manual said 75w80 for the oil, why did you pick that weight?

Go back to the last page, suggestion of our esteemed salty members.

Go back to the last page, suggestion of our esteemed salty members.

Now i don't know if I should return what I got or not....

Well, good luck with the fluid change. I needed a new cover with a fill plug, my fill on the diff was rusted and stripped out.

Steve: Just gonna do it in the buff, wear my Mechanix gloves and dog tags.

Well picked up some Royal purple.

Mentions that it has the friction modifier already in it...so I no longer need to add any...yes?

I was going to invite you over to my home, and ask if you wanted to use my garage again, but when you start talking like this....Not so much....:p:

I was going to invite you over to my home, and ask if you wanted to use my garage again, but when you start talking like this....Not so much....:p:

hahaha I appreciate it man.:salute:

Actually one of my fellow Marines (and owner of a home built pre-runner) lives about two miles from my place and is free tomorrow morning to help me out. :thumbsup: Hopefully when my tax return comes in I'll be able to order a new set of leafs from LMC and maybe you can help me out with that and the TT?

Well woke up before the sun, and headed over to my bud's place to flush the rear diff and put a new cover on. I didn't many pictures, needless to say that gear oil was super heinous looking, coming out completely black. Much needed flush to say the least.

Here are some pictures.

Last time the OEM cover will be on my 8.8.
RearDiff1.jpg

The axle open to the world, the oil was just thick and in need of a change.
RearDiff2.jpg

New Solid Axle cover. The cover actually put the diff up to three full quarts, and man does she seem to ride smoother already.
RearDiff3.jpg

I also finally got my Power Slot rotors installed on the rear, no pictures of that, but y'all know what slotted rotors look like. With slotted rotors on all fours, the breaking is leaps and bounds ahead of how it was when I first acquired Take Two.

..You might also take a look at your vent hose for cracks and such while you are at it and make sure it is still up high next to the floor pan or higher..:hammer:

..Water may have gotten in there from the vent hose..Cheap preventative maintenance and 1 less thing to worry about when doing water crossings..;)

..All it takes is one and you will need to replace your gear oil as water and oil don't mix..:D

..Plus... I know you want to do the Mojave trail one day...:burnout:

For sure man, I'll check it out next time I head out to the Explorer.

I definitely wanna do the Mojave Road, looks like a ton of fun. And more importantly away from "civilization".

or if we ever go to Big Bear again, there are water crossings;)

Hey gents got a questions for ya'll. I've got my tax return back, and looking to get some new springs to replace the sagging ones I've got on Take Two. I'm looking at picking them up for LMC, they've got them listed for 99.95 a piece. Now my question is, would you guys recommend these leafs for me? Also what else should I order in conjunction with the new leafs?

Well picked up a hi-lift from Ageman last night. Looking into mounting it near the rear hatch using the Hi-lift's 4XRAc mounting system. Gonna use self tapping screws and mount it to the rear deck. Throw some silicone around the bolts to prevent leaking and call it a day.

Any thoughts, comments concerns on this would be appreciated. Also see the above post.

Well picked up a hi-lift from Ageman last night. Looking into mounting it near the rear hatch using the Hi-lift's 4XRAc mounting system. Gonna use self tapping screws and mount it to the rear deck. Throw some silicone around the bolts to prevent leaking and call it a day.

Any thoughts, comments concerns on this would be appreciated. Also see the above post.

I would not use self tapping screws. Just drill holes and run bolts with different size washers through the floor. Screws will rip out in a rollover and make your hi-lift a projectile:eek:

Thanks for the tip Steve, the mount should be here Monday, then I'll go about making things work. Also finally got around to ordering new leaf springs, those too should be here some time next week. Once that's all about I should have the drivers side sag taken car off and the TT done as well.

Back