• Register Today It's free!

Keeping the ABS with a SAS

rollingmenace

Reaction score
City, State
Colorado Springs , Co
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Bronco 5.0 4" SAS...
ok here goes im planning on a 99xj hp dana 30 on leafs SAS in the 99 explorer ..
my question is what are you guys doing for front brake options i know the girl would prefer to keep the ABS system ... can this be done or am i limited to only having the rear ABS after the axle swap... what are you sas guys running out there on your swaps.. ive seen something bout the rubicon expres lines working great ... any info would help out and be greatly appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No,, and actually you will not have any ABS. With the front not working, none of it would work, the unit just goes into defalt mode and works like a old style no ABS system. Offroading this is a good thing!:thumbsup: for the street....not as much, but you should adjust your driving stlye accordingly. Going to SAS is going to change the entire characteristics of the truck. It really should not be a DD or anything afterwords but it is possiable. I drove mine as a DD for a year after the SAS, and then desided I should get somthing else for DD dutys.

I too would like to retain my ABS functions after SAS-ing my truck

why couldnt a bronco abs sensor setup be adapted? they had sensors on both wheels

I guess i'll have to get an oscilloscope and find out what the difference in signal is and work up an interpreter... i've done something similar in the past for a digital signal, this shouldn't be too different

*edit* sorry to the original poster, I will be looking at running a dana 44 found on the 90's bronco in a different form (I took the hubs and put them on my axle)

you would have to find an abs sensor to fit your axle and figure out the signal difference

basically, as i understand it, the abs computer looks for input, so you should be able to use another input as long as it is the same or adapted to be the same (like using pc parts on a mac)

apparently I was right, the 4WABS system used in the 93-96 bronco shares components with the explorer, I do not yet know if the signals are the same, but it looks promising

I also stumbled upon a bronco article with a how to on making an ABS disable switch, basically putting a switch in line with the ABS fuse and allowing the driver to disable the ABS while offroading without having to pull the fuse. sounds like a switch ill have to add to my switch panel

The sensor on the ABS reads a certain number of pulses per revolution (PPR) and determines speed based on that. There is a ring in there with teeth similar to a sprocket, except squared off. In theory, you just need to read the same number of PPR and the ABS will not freak out.

Finding a solid axle that has this feature is not likely. You may be able to modify an axle housing to use a ring with the correct number of teeth as well as the factory sensors. many (if not all) will argue that it is just not worth the work since most do SAS for trail use and ABS is not needed on the trail. In fact, it can be quite dangerous if ABS activates when on the trail.

The other side of the story is the pressure at which the ABS modulator operates at - which becomes useless as the tire diameter increases. I think 33"s or 35"s might be the limit.

lol my abs doesnt work without the sas

Finding a solid axle that has this feature is not likely. You may be able to modify an axle housing to use a ring with the correct number of teeth as well as the factory sensors. many (if not all) will argue that it is just not worth the work since most do SAS for trail use and ABS is not needed on the trail. In fact, it can be quite dangerous if ABS activates when on the trail.

93-06 broncos had dana44 knuckles which can be swapped onto a solid axle which have the sensors and the hubs have the rings

basically you need to drill and tap a hole for the sensor that lines up with the ring that is pressed on the backside of the hub

my rig will be a dual purpose rig and will probably be just under 35" tires, I would prefer to maintain the ABS for street use. Like I said you can disable the ABS for offroad by either running a disable switch or removing the fuse

and I'll probably run a disable switch on the airbags too

Just because it has the tone rings doesn't mean they're going to provide the proper pule pattern to make it work... Yes, it *may* be possible, but I fail to see the advantage.

yeah i was just asking the explorer will see mostly daily driving duties and ocassional trails that would require the solid axle ... was just looking at options in keeping the abs... its gunna be fun explaining that one to the gf lol... if i cant run the abs oh well.. no biggie

Back