Kenne Bell Supercharged Explorer... | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Kenne Bell Supercharged Explorer...

I have been on here for a while now always talking smack of how I plan to do a 2003 4.6 SOHC V8 Explorer project with a Kenne Bell 1.7 L supercharger. Well I lied!!! I decided the 1.7 L supercharger just wouldn’t support enough power, so I went with a 2.2 L supercharger. Just to give people an idea this is the same supercharger (different manifold to fit the 4.6 SOHC) that allot of the 03-04 Cobra fellas are running and making 600+ rwhp with.

Here is an outline of the project:

Install Kenne Bell 2.2 L supercharger for Mustang GT onto Explorer 4.6. Send stock bottom end of engine off to VT engines and have them build a billet 4.6 bottom end for me, send the stock 5R55W tranny off to Level 10 and have them rebuild it to withstand the huge levels of torque that this setup will create. Install small NOS dry shot of nitrous (45-65 shot). Wait for rear end to snap like a twig, yay! Contact DSS and pay out the butt for new custom half shafts and 3.27-3.55 LS differential. Brembo or Baer brakes to stop this pig! Weld racing 5 star lightweight aluminum rims with MT or Hoosier slicks out the back. So on so forth.

Here is the abbreviated parts list:

Kenne Bell 2.2 twin-screw supercharger S1
VT built short block S2
Level 10 rebuilt 5R55W tranny S2
NOS dry kit S3
SCT Xcal2 S1
SCT BA2800 MAS S1
42 lb injectors S1
60 lb injectors S2
VT stage 2 heads w/ blower cams S3
Dual SVT Focus pumps (still returnless) S2
Aeromotive fuel rails S2
KB BAS S2
DSS rear end S3
Headers (most likely going custom on this) S3
Aluminum drive shaft S3
Brembo brakes S3
Clicks/rims S3
Custom adapted Cobra CAI S1
DYNOTUNE, DYNOTUNE, DYNOTUNE!!! S1,2,3
Various other smaller mods S1,2,3

The list of mods is all grouped together but there are actually three different stages of mods there.

Stage 1: 400 rwhp street machine (KB 9 lbs/stock bottom end/stock tranny)

Stage 2: 600-rwhp dynoqueen (KB 15lbs/built engine & tranny)

Stage 3: 600+rwhp (maybe more) weekend racer / fun truck (KB 18lbs/built everything+ heads cams, headers, brakes, rear end, rims/slicks, nitrous)

Hope this gives everyone an idea of what I have been planning for 2+ years.

Here are a few pictures to get the juices flowing. Enjoy!!!

Attachments

• Kenne Bell 001.jpg
    Kenne Bell 001.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 3,910
  • Kenne Bell 006.jpg
    Kenne Bell 006.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 3,886
  • Kenne Bell size reference.jpg
    Kenne Bell size reference.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 3,476

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would really love to supercharge my '02 ex now! I think I will do it slowly though...i might have to do a whole rebuild on everything though. I've been having a few problems lately...one being the bypass cap in the back of the engine, right next to the number 4 plug hole. For some reason it has been blowing out on me...everytime I get into higher RPMs. Plus I would definetly need to upgrade the trans.

Bypass as in coolant bypass?

When I had just the Kenne Bell supercharger on at around 8-9 psi boost everything else including engine and transmission were stock. The key to keeping the stock transmission alive with the extra power is in the tuning. But then again my engine and transmission had only about 10k miles on them at the time which assisted in their ability to hold under power.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Bone stock with 9psi? Wow thats pretty good. One of my buddies used to work at ford and he said he would really only go to 5psi stock without having to swap out things or if I liked breaking things. So that turned me off to charging. Hmmmm... Sounds like a nice long expensive project I cant afford. I like it.

Bone stock with 9psi? Wow thats pretty good. One of my buddies used to work at ford and he said he would really only go to 5psi stock without having to swap out things or if I liked breaking things. So that turned me off to charging. Hmmmm... Sounds like a nice long expensive project I cant afford. I like it.

It sounds like your buddy may have not worked much with the modular 4.6 when it comes to building performance. It is very common to boost stock SOHC 2v 4.6's to 8-10psi. Now of course with that extra aircharge coming in that does mean bigger fuel injectors, a bigger fuel pump (or boost-a-pump), MAFS, and custom tune to bring it all back together into safe and proper calibration but that is about it. The 5R55W, S, and N transmissions have been found to hold a pretty decent amount of power in stock form too. I honestly cannot remember anyone that boosted a modular 4.6 as low as 5 psi. Shoot, I even boosted my 2005 Lincoln LS to 6 or 7 psi and that thing sits at 10.75:1 compression in stock form.

Bypass as in coolant bypass?

When I had just the Kenne Bell supercharger on at around 8-9 psi boost everything else including engine and transmission were stock. The key to keeping the stock transmission alive with the extra power is in the tuning. But then again my engine and transmission had only about 10k miles on them at the time which assisted in their ability to hold under power.

Yes coolant bypass. It's a rubber cap that just goes over an opening with a clamp around it...and it always blows out on me.

I currently have 130K on my engine and trans...still thats not goin to stop me. I take it you also upgraded the stock transfer case too?

Oh didnt notice the v8. My bad... one of those weeks. I have a 4.0. Ya I figured you need new maf and everything but I thought just slap it on and go no other things needed. Not sure. But it sounds like fun.

Yes coolant bypass. It's a rubber cap that just goes over an opening with a clamp around it...and it always blows out on me.

I currently have 130K on my engine and trans...still thats not goin to stop me. I take it you also upgraded the stock transfer case too?

I know you won't want to hear this but if you are popping your coolant lines only while at high rpm then that may be a sign of a blown head gasket. I don't remember that rubber cap being on my truck but it has been so long since I had the stock intake manifold on it too. Strange.

My X is 2wd so no T-case to mess with.

Oh didnt notice the v8. My bad... one of those weeks. I have a 4.0. Ya I figured you need new maf and everything but I thought just slap it on and go no other things needed. Not sure. But it sounds like fun.

Oh ok. I am not a big 4.0 SOHC V6 performance expert like a few in here, but from all that I have seen those usually hold well to 8-9 psi too as long as you have a good tune for it. Shoot, a few have held together just fine well past that boost level. Now if you go over to other forums like Rangerpowersports or TRS they will try to convince you that you can only run 5-6 psi max. But there are also many many more newbs and performance idiots over there too; which is probably why they deviate towards the ultra-conservative.

ahhh i see. well perhaps when I get a real job that gets me a real paycheck Ill have to start saving up for this. Bills come first unfortunately. But thanks for the info. Right now I am going to lift her another 3 inches in a couple weeks.

Hey Rocket, just a couple of quick questions for you. (seemed like the right to thread to ask). Is there a mostly bolt on supercharger system for our trucks, and what would you recommend? I'm not looking for crazy power or tons of mods to keep it running, just want to wake truck up a bit and quench my desire to buy a Mustang for awhile. Thanks!

I know you won't want to hear this but if you are popping your coolant lines only while at high rpm then that may be a sign of a blown head gasket. I don't remember that rubber cap being on my truck but it has been so long since I had the stock intake manifold on it too. Strange.

I suspected a blown head gasket a while ago....but there arent any signs of a leak or burning any coolant. No misfires. No coolant where it shouldn't be. The only thing I can think of is the cheap rubber cap Im using can't handle the heat or the pressure and it seems to be blowing right through it. It really wouldnt shock me if a gasket was blown or something. I beat that engine to the ground. Im still in the deciding factor if I should just throw my money into this truck or if I should wait and get a Cobra like I want to. It's a tough decision...lol

I suspected a blown head gasket a while ago....but there arent any signs of a leak or burning any coolant. No misfires. No coolant where it shouldn't be. The only thing I can think of is the cheap rubber cap Im using can't handle the heat or the pressure and it seems to be blowing right through it. It really wouldnt shock me if a gasket was blown or something. I beat that engine to the ground. Im still in the deciding factor if I should just throw my money into this truck or if I should wait and get a Cobra like I want to. It's a tough decision...lol

How often do you have to refill your coolant? Also another way to see what is what would be to pull your plugs and look inside your cylinder at your piston. If it is white and pretty clean looking then you probably have a blown gasket at that cylinder. Sometimes when a HG blows it only is enough where it unseats when the head lifts ever so slightly at higher pressures like at WOT; but when revving at normal rpms it will reseal.

How often do you have to refill your coolant? Also another way to see what is what would be to pull your plugs and look inside your cylinder at your piston. If it is white and pretty clean looking then you probably have a blown gasket at that cylinder. Sometimes when a HG blows it only is enough where it unseats when the head lifts ever so slightly at higher pressures like at WOT; but when revving at normal rpms it will reseal.

I've never had to refill my coolant. Did a Flush and haven't added fluid since then. The pistons have like a light shade of black stuff on them which I assumed was carbon.

Where did you get the level 10 5r55w from? did you buy a kit and do it yourself or send it out?

Where did you get the level 10 5r55w from? did you buy a kit and do it yourself or send it out?

I ended up wanting to make more power than what built 5R55W's could support at the time so I am running a standalone controlled built 4R70W transmission. I did not build the transmission itself, but had a place called Art Carr beef the tranny up. If you want to have your 5R55W transmission built up one of the places that actually builds them is named Level Ten. They build some good stuff but their prices are high. There are quite a few other reputable 5R55W, S, N transmission builders out there that I used to know but sort of forgot their names since it has been so long. If you mention a name I would remember and be able to tell you how reputable they are though.

i take it the 4r70w isnt a direct bolt up?

i take it the 4r70w isnt a direct bolt up?

Technically the bellhousing does bolt to the back of the engine, but that is about where the bolt-up-ability stops. Need new flexplate, different TC, new starter, custom shift linkage, standalone transmission controller, custom rear transmission brace, custom driveshaft, and eliminate about 15 or so DTC's in your tune by someone at SCT with "Programmer" level (<--above dealer calibrator level) access in the Advantage tuning software. That may be about it.

I did the 4R70 swap and kept the AWD. You have to use an earlier 4404 transfer case though. Of coarse you have to get a 4R70 with the AWD/4WD tail on it. The stock driveshafts fit and I only needed to make a plate with some holes drilled to get the trans mount bolted in. There is a floor brace that needs to be trimmed for transfer case clearance. I used an aftermarket shifter and had to modify the shift arm on the trans and make a bracket for the shifter cable.

I did the 4R70 swap and kept the AWD. You have to use an earlier 4404 transfer case though. Of coarse you have to get a 4R70 with the AWD/4WD tail on it. The stock driveshafts fit and I only needed to make a plate with some holes drilled to get the trans mount bolted in. There is a floor brace that needs to be trimmed for transfer case clearance. I used an aftermarket shifter and had to modify the shift arm on the trans and make a bracket for the shifter cable.

It sounds like you ended up going with a manual VB. Am I correct?

No I'm using the Baumann controller with normal automatic operation. I went with a B&M Hammer shifter and mounted it where the cup holders used to be. I also made a custom fiberglass part where the shifter mounts in the console.

100_0245.jpg

No I'm using the Baumann controller with normal automatic operation. I went with a B&M Hammer shifter and mounted it where the cup holders used to be. I also made a custom fiberglass part where the shifter mounts in the console.

100_0245.jpg

I pondered doing the same thing when I swapped to the 4R70W. But I just couldn't give my cup holders and random crap holder up. :D I kept mine on the column.

100_0245.jpg

Looking good! Looking forward to how it all works out and hopefully the new transmission/xfercase will hold together for that 11.99 pass!

Back