Kenne Bell V10 vs. Tuned 7.3 Powerstroke | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Kenne Bell V10 vs. Tuned 7.3 Powerstroke

Centaurus5.0

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
96'
Sup fellers.

I've been looking at Excursions and I've noticed the Powerstokes have about a $6000-$10,000+ premium over the V10's with similar mileage.

Do you think adding a blower to the V10 would make more sense than a 7.3? You can get a new V10 crate motor for $4000 and $4000 doesn't go very far when working on the diesels from what I read.

Does this make sense or are the diesel engines really worth the extra cost?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

7.3 all day. I wouldn't bother with a v10 but that's me. They are not known for longevity.

On a side note I'm looking for the right 2wd 5.4 excursion as our 3rd gen explorer is getting smaller as my family is getting bigger (6 of us now)

Diesel engine gets better mpg. Most excursions I see being parted out have the gas engines.

What are doing with it? My '01 F250 is running stock mostly with a k&n, y pipe conversion and 4.88's on 35's. It's not the fastest thing, but I can pass big rigs up inclines with a 3000lbs lance camper in the bed and another 8000 lbs on the the rear hitch. 8-9 mpg. With 150k on the clock.

20160522_141918_001.jpg

Damn Stic-o! You have all the fun!

I drove through monument last year coming back from AZ to MI and the scenery blew my mind. Sedona was a trip also!

I'm looking for a daily driver/ road trip tow rig. I would like to get a 2 car trailer but a single would work too. I would be nice to have an extra spot on the trailer in case I come across a second deal while picking up the first. Using a tow dolly is getting kind of old (along with removing driveshafts and disconnecting batteries) and I want something a bit more stable (heavier) and more roomy than the Centaurus for towing long distances.

8-9mpg? You have a V10 correct? What do you get cruising with no load?

Just wanted to add my specs. My truck is a crew cab short bed also. Empty I get 15-15.5 mpg hwy, 12-13 city. Car trailer loaded (about 7500 lbs) I get 12-13 mpg hwy (70-75 mph)

Also when towing <6000 lbs its barely noticeable that its there accelerating, braking and turning.

6000-9000 lbs you definitely feel it but you just need to prepare a little ahead of time for your next move

9000-12000 lbs top safe speed is now 65 mph. I need a good bit more throttle to get up to hwy speeds and trailer brakes get adjusted. Still feel safe but you can definitly feel the weight behind you in the truck.

12k+ Its not rated for anything over 12k but I know plenty that have pulled 15k with my same year range truck w/single wheel

Never mind Stic, I see the v10 badge now.

Hmmm, I'm thinking you have the better setup with the truck/camper combo. But I do like 'explorering' logging road up here in the Northwoods so the camper might be asking for trouble with low branches. Really the only reason I was looking for a SUV vs truck. But I could just put a topper on and deck out the back.

Thanks Boomin for sharing more good first hand info.

Tow rig, camp rig, plow truck, beach runner, firewood hauler, Off road 4x4 explorering, urban zombie assault vehicle, daily driver grocery getter, money maker. Thats what I'm looking for. Rather do twice the maintenance on one truck than regular maintenance on 4 vehicles.

They make pop up campers.

My truck gets 9 or 10 mpg. If I drive it to work, which I don't. For what gas would cost me a month, I bought a econo box and pay for the ins., gas and car payment. Plus I don't ware out the truck, which cost way more to replace.

Plus the turbo econo box is fun to drive :burnout:

20160828_144304.jpg

They make pop up campers.

LOL. Being from California, you may not understand. We have something called 'weather' here in Michigan. Snow, rain, humidity (mildew), insects nests, critters nest, fall leaves, rot, used space in driveway/dead patches of grass in lawn for something I'll actually want to use 4 weekends a year. Believe me, they are a major PITA to own up here.

9-10mpg is pretty bad, even for a heavy pickup. I would understand if it got that with the camper on due to wind resistance. I sold a trailer to a guy once who had a Powerstroke Excursion. Asked him about mpg and he swore he got 25mpg at 70mph with the family and weekend gear loaded up.

I'm starting to believe.
Friend of mine has an 04 excursion with the 6.0 powerstroke, 37 inch tires, larger injectors and it sees around 18 mpg on the freeway. His 460 powered f250 gets 10 mpg on a good day.

No question about 7.3 will get better milage. But I can buy a lot of gas for the 10k premium people are asking on one. And gas ain't cheap here.

But yes we just have sunshine. Snow is something we visit, it doesn't rain here anymore and the leaves stay on the tree. I did have rats trying to make a nest in the Valley of my intake of the v10 however. :nono:

But I can buy a lot of gas for the 10k premium people are asking on one.

Good Point! $10,000 IS a lot of gas!

But yes we just have sunshine. Snow is something we visit, it doesn't rain here anymore and the leaves stay on the tree. I did have rats trying to make a nest in the Valley of my intake of the v10 however. :nono:

HAHAHA!

You do have $5 bottles of water, so you have that going for you.

Back