Kenwood KAC-X4R (Crossovers) ?

RickMar

Reaction score
City, State
N. Andover Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Mercury Mountaineer
Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to read this post.

I am thinking on purchasing the Kenwood KAC-X4R amp and (4) Rockford Fosgate P1953's 6.5" speakers.
I was told by a car audio installer to make sure that the amp I purchase has crossovers. I am totally in the dark about all the technical stuff.Are there any difference in crossover types (Built in)(seperate) etc.?
In the Kenwood KAC-X4R product description it states
* RMS Power Range : 4x75 Watts
* Number Of Channels: 4
* Maximum Power: 1200 Watts
* Low Frequency response: 20 Hz
* High Frequency Response: 20000 Hz
* Built In Crossovers: Yes
* Channel Separation: Yes

Features of the KAC-X4R
* 1200 Watts Max Power
* RMS Power @ 4 Ohms: 75 Watts X4
* RMS Power @ 2 Ohms: 100 Watts x 4
* RMS Power Bridged 2 4 Ohms: 200 Watts x 2
* Highly Accurate Full Digital Amplifier With DSP
* Dual Transformer
* Full-range Digital Amp
* Class-D Design
* Variable High Pass (40Hz-200Hz or 500Hz-5000Hz, 12, 24dB per octave)
* Low Pass Filter: (40Hz-200Hz or 500Hz-5000Hz, 12, 24dB per octave)
* Variable Infrasonic Filter: 15~60Hz -24db/oct
* Full DSP with Time Alignment.
* Parametric Equalizer: Frequency, Quality Factor, Boost & Cut
* Anti-Clip Gain Adjustment
* Dual Power Supply
* Full Contact Terminal
* Amp Information Display (set up, menu, voltage, current, temp., etc.)

I have a 5 year old Audiobahn A4002T
(2 channel) amp. which I am going to keep and it's sole purpose is to drive a 10" Infinity sub.
I am looking for high quality sound in my Mounty.
Do you think this setup will be a waste of time and money?

Any information will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you;
Rick

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That amp absolutely has X-overs, and they're some of the most versatile I've seen built into an amp. I have one (unfortunately it is messed up), with another one on the way. LOTS of power for the size, and clean to boot.

Thank you Infinity08 for your input, I appreciate it very much.:thumbsup:
This is my second post in the Audio& Navigation section and I do not mean to be a pain in the A$$ with long winded typed questions.
I am completely in the dark with all this technical stuff (RMS, Crossovers, Hz,octaves,dB) but I am learning fast.
I think I got ripped off with un-needed equipment with my last adventure into the world of sound five years ago and I am a little gun-shy, so I am getting myself educated before I start throwing money around.
Thanks again,
Rick

Rockford doesn't list any such model as a P1953.

They have a P1653 6.50" Punch 3-Way Full Range Speaker, which I assume is what you meant.

However, you're not going to gain anything over your Infinity 5x7 speakers with these. They have the same 60W RMS power handling and will NOT handle the power of the Kenwood amp, the same as your current speakers.

Almost every decent brand name amp has crossovers built in.

My suggestion would be to either find a different amp, something like 50W x 4 RMS to go with your current speakers, or get 6x8's with higher power handling.

If you're going to spend $129+/pair on speakers just to use that amp, you might as well get components:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1086820CS/Infinity-Reference-6820cs.html?showAll=N&tp=105

Just dropping in those speakers will definitely be a waste of money.

If you just HAVE TO use that amp, and would rather get new speakers to go with it than use another amp, I would suggest going with new speakers such as the higher power infinity's. You aren't going to find a much better deal at that price, and components with that amp will probably give you what you're looking for.

Hi Anime,
Thank you very much for your reply.
Yes, I made a typo with the Rockford speakers, they are the P1653 6.5".
The Infinity Reference 6820cs speakers I am sure will do what I am looking for. Thank you for the link you provided for crutchfield so I could check them out. I appreciate your help:thumbsup:
Take care;
Rick

I would use the speakers you have. I'd bet they handle the power with no issues. My Type X components are listed as 75 RMS, they get 125 to each driver with no problems. In fact, at anything above probably 5-10 watts actual input, your face would peel off and you'd have permanent hearing damage (all frequency dependent).

Cliffs:
Use your current speakers. If they go kaplooie, THEN replace them, unless you just want new ones- I understand the itch. :D

I'd agree it's worth at least checking if your current speakers will handle 75W before laying out the dough, either by pulling one and looking at the sticker, or looking up the model number and specs online.

If not, components it is.

Hello,
Thank you for taking the time to read this post.

I am thinking on purchasing the Kenwood KAC-X4R amp and (4) Rockford Fosgate P1953's 6.5" speakers.
I was told by a car audio installer to make sure that the amp I purchase has crossovers. I am totally in the dark about all the technical stuff.Are there any difference in crossover types (Built in)(seperate) etc.?
In the Kenwood KAC-X4R product description it states
* RMS Power Range : 4x75 Watts
* Number Of Channels: 4
* Maximum Power: 1200 Watts
* Low Frequency response: 20 Hz
* High Frequency Response: 20000 Hz
* Built In Crossovers: Yes
* Channel Separation: Yes

Features of the KAC-X4R
* 1200 Watts Max Power
* RMS Power @ 4 Ohms: 75 Watts X4
* RMS Power @ 2 Ohms: 100 Watts x 4
* RMS Power Bridged 2 4 Ohms: 200 Watts x 2
* Highly Accurate Full Digital Amplifier With DSP
* Dual Transformer
* Full-range Digital Amp
* Class-D Design
* Variable High Pass (40Hz-200Hz or 500Hz-5000Hz, 12, 24dB per octave)
* Low Pass Filter: (40Hz-200Hz or 500Hz-5000Hz, 12, 24dB per octave)
* Variable Infrasonic Filter: 15~60Hz -24db/oct
* Full DSP with Time Alignment.
* Parametric Equalizer: Frequency, Quality Factor, Boost & Cut
* Anti-Clip Gain Adjustment
* Dual Power Supply
* Full Contact Terminal
* Amp Information Display (set up, menu, voltage, current, temp., etc.)

I have a 5 year old Audiobahn A4002T
(2 channel) amp. which I am going to keep and it's sole purpose is to drive a 10" Infinity sub.
I am looking for high quality sound in my Mounty.
Do you think this setup will be a waste of time and money?

Any information will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you;
Rick
The X4R is great amp with a lot of extra features. That's why I have two, but the crossovers are a little weird. The A channels only have a high pass crossover and the B channels only have a low pass crossover, not counting the infrasonic filter which only goes up to 60Hz. You can make this amp work for those door speakers but you have to do something like run a patch cable from the line out into the B input. A different amp with matching high pass crossovers in the 100to 150Hz range for all 4 channels might be a better bet to run those 6.5s. And don't worry too much about the power handling of those speakers. Music is so dynamic that RMS ratings really mean very little. I'll be running tweeters off the A channels of my X4R. It is capable of over 150 watts per channel under certain conditions, but in the real world tweeters probably never see more than 5 watts or so.

That's how mine runs. Active to a set of SEAS-built Alpine components (REF since I needed the midbass over the PRO). I have a new one coming either tomorrow or Monday as mine has an internal noise issue. :( I shouldv'e checked it sooner as it was a refurb.

Back