• Register Today It's free!

Kenwood radio install

Lafferty

Reaction score
City, State
Rhode Island
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Explorer
Hey yall, i pulled a nice kenwood radio from a junkyard. I have it wired up to my 93 explorer xlt. The truck had a stock amp but thats bypassed right now, dont get into that can of worms right now. Anyways, I cannot find any info on installing it into my dashboard. The Metra trim kit I have doesnt seem like it would work since it doesnt appear to have anywhere to screw into. Will i need to take the trim off? any pics of how everything is installed? I have to go back cause the kit is missing something so id like to know if i should get the same kit or something else? Any help would be nice. The quicker the better. Thanks.

You take the trim off, yes. Behind it there will be another opening, you will need to grind away part of it to fit the trim kit sleeve in, then it screws to the face of what is left of the opening. After that, put in the installation sleeve for the stereo, replace the trim piece and install your stereo.

What you probably need is a DIN sleeve for the stereo, which is how it mounts on the dash trim. You can remove the dash trim to make installing the adapter harness a little easier, or just work through the stock opening with the stereo removed.

Once you get the wiring done, you stick the wires through the DIN sleeve, put the sleeve into the stock radio opening, push some of the tabs outward so it stays there, then you push the stereo into the DIN sleeve. Make sure you have the "keys" for either side of the sleeve so you can remove the stereo later.

You can probably get a DIN sleeve for cheap or free at a friendly car audio shop that sells Kenwood products, just bring the stereo with you and hopefully they have a sleeve and release keys that will work for it.

leeve-for-car-stereos,0,0,0,0,arial,0,0,0,0_SX500_.jpg

Back