Kevin McInchak's 93 XLT | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Kevin McInchak's 93 XLT

I have a 1st Gen XLT w/ Auto tranny. It was nicknamed The Big Model by my neighbor and is not affectionately called the Black ***** by my Wife. I currently live in Mount Vernon, WA.

So far I have added:
  • Front solid d44 with 79 bronco coil buckets, F250 shock mounts, 5.5" Wild Horses Rock Crawler EB springs, and chrome molly axle shafts.
  • Front diff guard and custom steering links
  • Rear Spring Over Axle with Old Man Emu 2" lift springs and a couple leafs from a stock pack
  • 36x13.50 IROK's on 15X10 Eaton beadlocks with a 2.5" backspacing
  • 4.88 gears front and rear w/ ARB air lockers front and rear.
  • Rear TA support diff cover to protect 8.8 and ARB
  • Advance Adapters installed a 700-R4 and the kit is now available.
  • B&M truck megashifter (floor mount)
  • Additional stock type transmission cooler (2 total) with an external tranny filter from permacool
  • Atlas II transfer case w/ 3.8:1 gears and 1350 u-joints
  • Smittybuilt winch front bumber reinfoced with 2" square tubing and an added receiver hitch for a front tow point
  • Smittybuilt rear bumber modified w/ a reciever hitch and swing out tire/hi-lift carrier made with a trailer spindle as a hinge.
  • Full Internal roll cage built by myself and tdavis
  • KKM Sport Induction air filter
  • Borla catback exhaust modified to exit at side
  • Warn HS9500i winch
  • Rancho RS9000 rear shocks / RS9000X front shocks
  • ARB air pump provides on board air for tires and ARB air lockers.
  • Custom Rock Sliders built by arsoul
  • PIAA Superwhite replacement headlamp bulbs
  • PIAA 520 fog lights (1 pair)
  • KC 150 watt Daylighters (1 pair)
  • Extra reverse lights mounted to tire carrier
  • Rock lights above rear axle facing the rear and behind the front tires facing the front.
  • Dual battery system utilizing 2 Optima yellow tops and the ABS relay circuitry to control isoltion of the second battery.
  • Cobra 7 CB w/ 5.5' Firestick antenna mounted to rear bumper
  • AGR Rock Ram Hydraulic Assist Steering.

This is phase one.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

This is what happened.
154MVC-517S1.jpg

154MVC-516S1.jpg

154MVC-511S.jpg

Here's the link to the full write up and pics of the roll Major Roll

Then came phase two, the rebuild
Out with the old :(
154MVC-519S.jpg

In with the new ;)
154MVC-558S.jpg

Of course I couldn't leave it like that :eek:
154MVC-638S.jpg

It's been so long since I have had an Ex all the same color, and the choice was easy, match the tow vehicle :D
154MVC-637S.jpg

DVC00114s.jpg

Dead Link Removed
Dead Link Removed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well, looks to me that you spent quite some time working on your rig. No wonder your wife calls it mistress. I just hope to get my rig up there soon. Trails are calling.......

Good luck,

Very nice. Congrats on installing almost everything yourself; you've got balls.

On that same note, I'm usually installing everything on my truck myself as well. It's pretty tough this way but in my case I found out that it allows me later to feel my truck better. At least I know what was done and what I can expect and if something goes wrong to take care of the problem fast, sometimes even on the spot.

Later,

Thanks

I have also found out that doing the work myself saved me so much in labor that I was able to get more toys for it. That was my driving force on top of wanting to know what was wrong on the trail.

Yeah, I can see what you mean by saying that you can feel your truck better, Andre. And you've got balls, too, by the way :D I just saw your rig, and it looks awesome (I figured I'd tell you now instead of putting up another post on your thread)

Yeah, everybody likes it but so far I'm not 100% satisfied. Still long way to go.

But THANKS!!!

You can never be 100% satisfied!

I originally though I would be satisfied w/ the lift and tires. Then came the thought of gears and lockers. Now it is a solid front axle and 35" tires. Oh God, what's next?!

Re: You can never be 100% satisfied!

Originally posted by Mac
Oh God, what's next?!

A tank.

Re: Re: You can never be 100% satisfied!

Originally posted by arsoul
Originally posted by Mac
Oh God, what's next?!

A tank.

Too wide and I saw one get high centered, one track on either side, of a freeway median guard.

Side exit Borla...

I was wondering if you modified your Borla exhaust by yourself, or If you took it to a shop.. I've been thinking about doing the same with mine... but didn't know what to expect as far as cost? Any info would be appreciated

Thanks,

jason

I paid $30 to have a shop do it. They have the proper tools for it and my welding is to course for that type of work.

Here is what it looks like now

Soon I should have some rock sliders.

Attachments

• mvc-858s.jpg
    mvc-858s.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 7,046

Check out the flex

:bounce: :chug: :eek:

Attachments

• mvc-625s.jpg
    mvc-625s.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 3,634

Lets see how that 44 flexes! :D:D:D What does it ramp now? Looks good Kevin!

Looks friggen awsome!!!!!!!!!!!!! Whats next??????

800 on a 23degree and 914 on a 20 degree. Hopefully I can get more with the "Revolver type shackles".

Attachments

• mvc-621s.jpg
    mvc-621s.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 3,626

Well, I have decided against the revolver type shackles and instead I amgoing to use Pivoting Spring Perches. They bolt on between the leaf springs and axle and as the axle articulates, it relieves some of the twisting force applied to the leaf pack. I'll let you know how they work.

Lights and colors

:D

Attachments

• mvc-859s.jpg
    mvc-859s.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 6,761

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rock Sliders

:D

Attachments

• mvc-861s.jpg
    mvc-861s.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 6,510

Back