Key FOB cover | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Key FOB cover

Congratd YoungKing :)

key fob cover came in today - not bad - 2 bizness days -
holdup wasn't from packaging though - it gives a new meaning to plain brown wrapper !

fyi, if ordering from ebay -
I emailed him before paying to tell him which colors and he said just to put color choices in paypal notes....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wish i could find leather FOB covers..

Sounds like a business opportunity then !!!

design it, patent it, build it, price it, market it, hope there's a market so you can sell it :)

Sounds like a business opportunity then !!!

design it, patent it, build it, price it, market it, hope there's a market so you can sell it :)

You are right!! I do have an outside party that can do it too..LOL. I think i'll pick a few of the rubber ones to use as a template. Look for pics of the model fob!

I am serious..lol

leather colored & stitched to match the different Ex color combos NICE :D

cool -
we could moisten them, slide them on, and they would shrink as drying to fit very well !!!

do post when you are ready and I'll take a set as the male muse :)

What do you guys think? FOB Covers

geez_zps14aad210.jpg

I am looking for a cheaper source to get some made for sale. Whats the opinion - think it will be a hit?

geez_zps14aad210.jpg

I am looking for a cheaper source to get some made for sale. Whats the opinion - think it will be a hit?

That's if everyone you find in New York drives an Explorer or some Ford vehicle. I wouldn't depend on it but it looks cool.

leather FOB covers

These are very nice, way better than any other leather/vinyl I have seen.

Get them in also matching exterior/interior colors and I bet they would be a reasonable' hit.

Have you tried them? Are they as form fitting as they look? Buttons work?

These are very nice, way better than any other leather/vinyl I have seen.

Get them in also matching exterior/interior colors and I bet they would be a reasonable' hit.

Have you tried them? Are they as form fitting as they look? Buttons work?

I havent tried them as yet. Have one on order to get sizing and work on functionality as well as getting production price to see if its really worthwhile.

Since i can have almost any color leather i'll keep it to the most popular colors of the ford line - black, white, red, black/walnut combo and some with the perforated back. Maybe some "Explorer" or "Ford" embossed in the back - not sure about copyright on that.

Thinking if these numbers are valid and with decent sales there could be a profit. Below is only stats for Explorers - there are others that use the same FOB.

Total Sales Explorers Only

60,687(2010)
135,704(2011)
164,187(2012)
66,637(2013-YTD)

It looks worthwhile, I would go for it.
you could have a slick Sport line, Limited, i think with the colors and stitching options you can have a very cool key cover with room to work with pricing.
So a Base fob could be less than a Sport fob, etc.

They'd look good hanging from a womans purse.

They'd look good hanging from a womans purse.

HAHAHA! true, but the one i am working on will be alot more masculine. Trust me - if i dont want it on mine I wouldn't make it for someone else right..LOL.

lol ok so now you have
"hers" & "his"
you just doubled your potential

lol ok so now you have
"hers" & "his"
you just doubled your potential

Lurker = Chief of Sales and Strategy Team.

This may sound like a joke but i am seriously looking into doing this.

Do you make special order ones with name engravings and such? Cause then I'd get one.

I havent tried them as yet. Have one on order to get sizing and work on functionality as well as getting production price to see if its really worthwhile.

Since i can have almost any color leather i'll keep it to the most popular colors of the ford line - black, white, red, black/walnut combo and some with the perforated back. Maybe some "Explorer" or "Ford" embossed in the back - not sure about copyright on that.

Thinking if these numbers are valid and with decent sales there could be a profit. Below is only stats for Explorers - there are others that use the same FOB.

Total Sales Explorers Only

60,687(2010)
135,704(2011)
164,187(2012)
66,637(2013-YTD)
One thing to remember is that not all those Explorers use the IA key fob. Only those with push button start. I would guess that many of them use the IKT (Integrated Keyhead Transmitters) which are totally different.
I have carried my IA key around now for over 2 years and personally have no need for a cover of any kind.
The covers you show are very attractive indeed. It will be interesting to see how well they will work being that they are leather.
Good luck with this project. Nice to see ingenuity at work.:thumbsup:

Peter

geez_zps14aad210.jpg

Aren't those being sold on eBay already??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back