Key Fob Issues

rmp301

Reaction score
City, State
Yonkers, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2012 Explorer XLT
Key remote issue

Went to unlock the Ex today and found that the key remote was inop. Would not unlock, lock or open tailgate. Not even giving an indication of receiving signal by the parking lights blinking. Totally dead. Figured it could possibly be a bad battery, but on my next stop, all was working again. Truck locked as well as unlocked and tailgate opened and closed with parking lights illuminating as in the past. This Ex just has to many quirks and flaws to contend with. Almost any issue is a non-issue if you shut it down and restart it again. It really is quite ridiculous the extremes that we owners go through with this truck! :mad:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Before you go blaming the truck for this one, it may have been where you were parked. I have found a specific spot at a local mall where my remote just flat out won't work. I'm guessing that there is some sort of interfering frequency that prevents the remote from working at that location.

Before you go blaming the truck for this one, it may have been where you were parked. I have found a specific spot at a local mall where my remote just flat out won't work. I'm guessing that there is some sort of interfering frequency that prevents the remote from working at that location.

That's right. Anything giving off strong signals or frequencies can possibly jam the remote. Remember that many electronic devices are supposed to accept interference as stated by the FCC. Not that has anything to do with it but yeah. It's just something interfering with your remote's signal.

......Almost any issue is a non-issue if you shut it down and restart it again. It really is quite ridiculous the extremes that we owners go through with this truck! :mad:
Is that any different than some computers? That is basically what you are driving. A computer on wheels. :)

Peter

Have parked in that area before without a problem. I did think it was the battery in the remote, but I drove it, parked it and when I used the key to unlock it, it worked. I'll keep an eye on it, but I've become paranoid over some of the things that this truck will do. I agree with Peter ...... It is a computer on wheels, but it sure does some really weird things at times.

Has the battery been in it for a while? Many remotes will work intermittently when the battery is low; its dead one day, works normal the next few days, then wont work at all, then change the battery and its good again.

Has the battery been in it for a while? Many remotes will work intermittently when the battery is low; its dead one day, works normal the next few days, then wont work at all, then change the battery and its good again.
11/2 years ...... Will keep an eye on it as it is possible that the battery went sour ...... Day two and it's still operating as intended though.

Picked up my Limited in March 2011 and still using the same battery.

Peter

Guys -

This is how my remote problems started. You might want to check out this thread:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=385612

Some think there's some interaction going on between the MyFord Touch and remote keyless entry system.
Welcome to the Forum JasonC74. :wavey:
Glad to read that you have the problem solved. For now anyway.;)
One thing I was wondering in reading your posts was, which model/year Explorer do you have?
If you enter that in your profile it should show in the left hand margin where your name is. That info could be very helpful in answering any future concerns you may have since not all models are the same.

Peter

Rather than doing a total master reboot you might try the "Delayed Reboot" which does not clear out all your saved data, phone connections etc. Check it out at http://outofmytouch.com/reboot.html I've used it a couple times with good results, and you don't have much to loose trying it.......best regards plum

Well, it now was inop in my driveway ...... Where it always worked! Took the spare out of the house and it locked and opened while my primary was still dead. Changed the battery and it worked. Looks like it had a bad battery in the key, although 11/2yrs isn't very long for the battery to last.

Well, it now was inop in my driveway ...... Where it always worked! Took the spare out of the house and it locked and opened while my primary was still dead. Changed the battery and it worked. Looks like it had a bad battery in the key, although 11/2yrs isn't very long for the battery to last.
I guess a lot would depend on how often you actually use the key functions.

Peter

I have a 2013 Explorer XLT which was purchased in January 2013. Recently, BOTH key fobs have stopped working (won't lock/unlock doors/won't open power liftgate). To enter the car, I have to manually unlock the doors using the key but when I do, the car goes into some security mode which requires that I start the car within 10-12 seconds or the alarm goes off (this is the Ford factory security system and NOT an aftermarket system). Once I start and drive the car, get out, and try to lock/unlock/power lift gate the doors with the key fob, it works fine if I press the buttons within 20 seconds of the ignition being turned off. Once that 20 seconds or so passes, the key fob will no longer work. This isn't an RF interference issue because it has been going on for 2 weeks now at various locations. Also, the fact that the fobs work fine for 20 seconds after the car has been started and turned off rules out any battery issues. Has anyone else had this issue and if so, what was done to fix the issue? I'm thinking of doing a system reset but I'd like to avoid that if at all possible.

I have a 2013 Explorer XLT which was purchased in January 2013. Recently, BOTH key fobs have stopped working (won't lock/unlock doors/won't open power liftgate). To enter the car, I have to manually unlock the doors using the key but when I do, the car goes into some security mode which requires that I start the car within 10-12 seconds or the alarm goes off (this is the Ford factory security system and NOT an aftermarket system). Once I start and drive the car, get out, and try to lock/unlock/power lift gate the doors with the key fob, it works fine if I press the buttons within 20 seconds of the ignition being turned off. Once that 20 seconds or so passes, the key fob will no longer work. This isn't an RF interference issue because it has been going on for 2 weeks now at various locations. Also, the fact that the fobs work fine for 20 seconds after the car has been started and turned off rules out any battery issues. Has anyone else had this issue and if so, what was done to fix the issue? I'm thinking of doing a system reset but I'd like to avoid that if at all possible.
I'm not sure why your key fobs aren't working properly. Any chance that they have come near a magnetic source of some kind?
The rest makes sense according to your Owner's Guide. The anti theft alarm takes 20 seconds to fully arm. That is why you can work within that time period. The problem is that once armed, you are not able to use the fobs so it seems that there is a break between the transmitter (fob) and receiving system in the Explorer.
From your Guide; (page 88)
Note: If the driver door is unlocked with a key, a tone will sound when
you open the door and a message will appear in the information display.
You will have 12 seconds to disarm the alarm using any of the actions
above, otherwise the alarm will trigger.

One of the actions referred to disarm is to press the 'Unlock' button on the remote control (fob). Since the fob isn't working, this 12 second period is also working as intended.
So it appears that everything is working as it should, except the key fobs.
I would think that the chip in the key head is fine otherwise you wouldn't be able to start the vehicle. The problem as I have mentioned seems to lie with the transmission/receiving signal from the fob. I would guess that it is the receiving end (vehicle system) that is the problem.

Peter

I have had the same issue. I've found that it now takes a press and hold of the fob button for several seconds for it to work now. I don't have any clue as to why, just seems that is now the way to use it. :(

I remember someone saying their fob would stop responding to their Ex and they did a master reset in their mft screen and it fixed the problem.

Try doing that and see if it fixes it.

So I have had my car now for 15 months. In that time I have had to replace the keyfob batteries 3 times. Unfortunately I can never find the batteries anywhere locally (walmart, cvs, walgreens, rite aid, etc.). I have to order them off of amazon every time

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Pull the battery out. wipe off the liquid/jelly like substance from the battery and the contacts. This is a normal occurrence. It has happened to all my keyfobs from different cars over the years.

Back