• Register Today It's free!

key fob, maybe

damnford

Reaction score
City, State
pine city washington
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 explorer eddibouere
i have a 91 explorer Eddie Bauer edition with electric seats, windows, and door locks, how do i find out if it is supposed to have keyless entry.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It does. That is part of the Eddie Bauer trim package.

Dealer $75.00
Or Parts store
Or ebay

Careful with the Ebay junk they don't always work on pre 2001 models.

I just bit the bullet and went to the dealer.

They wont help you program it.

In the jack storage there is a 2 pin plug that is not connected to anything. It's grey.

To program the new fob jump the pins on this plug with a paper clip or whatever.

Then get in the drivers seat and turn the key "on" do not start the engine.

Then with the driver door still open activate the door locks with the door switch, then unlock and lock several times with the new fob.

Close the driver door and repeat.

Before you turn the key off go back and pull out the paper clip. Done!

Dealer $75.00
Or Parts store
Or ebay

Careful with the Ebay junk they don't always work on pre 2001 models.

I just bit the bullet and went to the dealer.

They wont help you program it.

In the jack storage there is a 2 pin plug that is not connected to anything. It's grey.

To program the new fob jump the pins on this plug with a paper clip or whatever.

Then get in the drivers seat and turn the key "on" do not start the engine.

Then with the driver door still open activate the door locks with the door switch, then unlock and lock several times with the new fob.

Close the driver door and repeat.

Before you turn the key off go back and pull out the paper clip. Done!

I was just wondering about this, and even if was an option. This is very useful, thanks.

Or, get an alarm system that includes door lock actuators. Price is about the same with the added security of an alarm system for a very easy to steal vehicle. I was at a training class where a former professional car thief turned repo/tow guy, opened my locked driver door in about 5 seconds. He decided on a career change after getting a shotgun pointed at his face by the CHP while in a stolen Porsche. He said it would take him about another 10 seconds to get it started if I didn't have the alarm with ignition and fuel pump cut-off's. If a alarm went off and the vehicle wouldn't start in about 10 seconds, he said he would walk away and steal someone else vehicle.

Or, get an alarm system that includes door lock actuators. Price is about the same with the added security of an alarm system for a very easy to steal vehicle. I was at a training class where a former professional car thief turned repo/tow guy, opened my locked driver door in about 5 seconds. He decided on a career change after getting a shotgun pointed at his face by the CHP while in a stolen Porsche. He said it would take him about another 10 seconds to get it started if I didn't have the alarm with ignition and fuel pump cut-off's. If a alarm went off and the vehicle wouldn't start in about 10 seconds, he said he would walk away and steal someone else vehicle.

Wow!

how did he get in so fast? all i know about is a coat hanger and that doesn't work very well.

how did he get in so fast? all i know about is a coat hanger and that doesn't work very well.
Used a Slim Jim, pushed it in between the window and the outside of the door and it unlocked.
Not this
img_03901.jpg

This
34946_1_.jpg

i had a whole set of those bought at harbor freight. i wonder what happened to them. probably got rid of them because there was a lot of police around looking for car prowlers, just saying.

They are not illegal to possess, just illegal to use while stealing a car. Just saying

I have a '92 XLT 4-door Sport w/ a stick. It has power locks, windows, and mirrors. Should mine have a key fob? Bought it used with only about 80k miles.

The remote receiver is located in the left rear in the jack storage, next to the 4x4 control module. If it's there you have keyless entry.

148216-3a44509f0e04f6a3dff382b8ae992d33.jpg

i looked back there i didn't see the big silver box. i wonder if i could get the box and harness at pull and save. and yes it is not illeagle to have the tools to get in the car but the police sure give you a ration of crap for having them.

Back