Key fob problems | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Key fob problems

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
My key fobs no longer function. They will neither lock or unlock the doors (all ), nor will they set off the panic alarm.

I have replaced the batteries in the fobs.

The driver side door keypad works properly.

Ideas and suggestions sought.

Thanks in advance ...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you try the re-programming procedure in the manual after you changed the batteries? Maybe the fobs just need to be re-introduced to the truck.:dunno:

didnt you have some issue with this last year some time ?

Did it just get worse or still unresolved ?

I'd second the reprogram idea.

Did you try the re-programming procedure in the manual after you changed the batteries? Maybe the fobs just need to be re-introduced to the truck.:dunno:

I have previously swapped batters with no issues. Supposedly you do not need to reprogram after battery swap.

didnt you have some issue with this last year some time ?

Did it just get worse or still unresolved ?

Kevin, last year I experienced intermittent problems with the fobs, ; now they no longer work in any mode.

Interesting thing happened at the gym this morning ....

I was playing with the buttons on the key fob and the panic button work rd setting off the horn. I repeated it and it functioned. However, the door lock/unlock still does nothing.

After working out, I tried the panic again, this time with no horn.

Any more suggestions or thoughts?

could the buttons just be going bad? It is starting to get more humid, maybe the contacts under the rubbery stuff are dirty?

I had a problem around the same time you did, then we switched offices, and I never had the problem again, until a couple weeks ago.

When someone (it's random) parks my me with a Mitsubishi, Trailblazer, (That's what parks to me most often), I almost have to touch the side panel to make it work.

On Sundays when I go in, no problems.

The problem occurs on both fobs that I use as well as a brand new one ( properly programmed ).

I am about out of ideas.

aldive did you ever solve your problem? I am currently experiencing the exact same problem with my fobs. Neither of mine work with brand new batteries and after trying to reprogram. I am just searching around on here looking for some ideas.

Back