• Register Today It's free!

Key fob programming problem

ontwowheels

Reaction score
City, State
La Ronge, Saskatchewan
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLS Limited Edition
I know it's been discussed lots before, but I can't seem to find the answer to my issue. I just bought a brand new key fob from Ford for my '99 XLS LE and can't get the truck to enter "programming mode" to activate the fob. I did exactly what it said in the owners manual, flick the key off/on 8 times ending in on when I get to 8. But the locks do not cycle like I am lead to believe they should to signify programming mode has been activated. The power locks work fine when I hit the button on the drivers door, so that doesn't seem to be an issue. I tried disconnecting the negative battery terminal, then re-connecting it, and have tried with the radio off.
Would there be a fuse that's dedicated to that system that may be blown/removed? Did some models not come with remote entry? I bought the truck used in the spring and all I got was the ignition key, no fobs, so I'm not certain that it ever had any, but I would think that something with "limited edition" on the side would have that feature.
I do have a "door ajar" sensor that's out to lunch, but that shouldn't stop me from programming the fob, would it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try cycling it 10 times. My E350 work van said 8 times in the manual but it would only work if I did it 10.

don't confuse "off" with "lock".

1. get in your truck and close the door
2. using the door lock/unlock button unlock all doors
3. have all remotes to be programed in the truck
4. insert your key into the ignition and turn to the "off" position (one position clockwise)
5. turn your key from "off" to "on" (next position clockwise) and back to "off" eight times ending with leaving the key in the "on" position. your locks should lock and then unlock indicating "programming mode"
5. press any button on the remote and it's programmed. repeat step 5 on all remotes to be programmed w/in 20 seconds.

Thanks guys. I've done all that and still no dice. I checked all the fuses, everything is fine there. I'm beginning to question weather this thing even has remote entry as a feature, I should have had the dealer run my VIN to find out when I was there. Looks like I'm going to have to think about replacing the door lock cylinders and get a key to match them.

I have programmed fobs for my truck in the past. As an experiment, I went outside and put the truck in programming mode just like usual with 8 on/off's. Tried again with my drivers door open, no dice. So... your sensor issue likely needs to be fixed before spending money.

Does your limited have a number pad on the drivers door? If so, you can pull the code for it off cream colored control box inside the jack compartment.

You will need to fix the 'door ajar' problem as it thinks one door is still open, which is why it won't enter programming mode.

Right on. It's not such a huge deal now since I got my locks working with my key, so when I get the time I'll play around with the bad sensor. I'm 99% positive it's the one for the rear passenger-side door. I'll need to see if my shop manual will tell me where it is in the door.

It's in the door latch assembly. Sometimes giving it a good soaking of PB Blaster or WD40 will get it working again. My wife's 99 Sable had the same problem and soaking it down did the trick.

I am having the same trouble with my 99 XLS. I have tried 5 8 and 10 cycles from off to run and still no luck. I have even started with the doors both locked and unlocked and all the door have always been closed. is there any other way of doing it so I don't have to take it to a mechanic and blow $50?

Back