Key Fob Question, might be dumb though | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Key Fob Question, might be dumb though

RustyMacintosh

Reaction score
City, State
Monterey
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 XLT 4x4 Exploder
I lost my keys or mislaid my keys on my 99 XLT. Finally, after 4 weeks I called out a locksmith. $154. new key reprogramed a new fob.

I found my original set the next day. Go figure. Locksmith said it is common. Where were they? hanging on a tree next to the gate. I hang them there on the fly. Forgot. Oh well, now I have two keys for the 99.

OK, so I had 4 new fobs. I did the 8 times on the 99 where I programmed in two new fobs. I have a 01 XLS.
I tried the same thing on the XLS. 8 times. nothing.

So is it safe to assume the XLS does not have a key fob security system from the factory?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

XLS's didn't come very well equipped. That was kinda the point of the XLS/fleet model. My guess is it does not have FOB capability.

If it doesn't have the feature, won't it not have that box in the left rear fender compartment? I was also under the impression that not having a door keypad would indicate as much, that both features were bundled together?

what I thought , I just had to ask a dumb question

If it doesn't have the feature, won't it not have that box in the left rear fender compartment? I was also under the impression that not having a door keypad would indicate as much, that both features were bundled together?

I've had Explorers with no keypad that did have key fobs. The thing in the left rear cargo compartment is called the RAP or vehicle personality module. Without a RAP module, no FOB capability.

I wonder if I hit the Pick a Part, snag one of those boxes, plug it in....??? what ya think?

I don't know what circuits that connects with, or whether those wires are in a model without the RAP module, but here's where it plugs in;

Projectthread091.JPG

state of confusion is buying my eb version explorer for 9500 if I buy a used ev or hybrid. I am planning on yanking the security box, and the tires just before the tow truck comes for it. I'll let ya all know what happens, or if there even IS a connection in the rear of my XLS

Back