Key Fob Range | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Key Fob Range

Correct me if I'm wrong but I do believe the remote start fob automatically locks the X prior to starting. I'll test this tomorrow and report back.
I have the keyless entry with push button start. The remote start only works if you press the lock button first and then the remote start button twice. That is also what the instructions in the Owner's Guide states.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Figured out what my issue was

I've had terrible range from my remote unlock and start for several months now. I mentioned it to the service manager when I took it in for some maintenance last week and he said he'd check it out. When I went to pick it up he asked me what I had plugged into the back of the center console in the cigarette lighter socket, I told him it was a USB charger for my kids who ride in the back seat. He said that he had seen issues where USB devices plugged into that port would interfere with the remote. At this point I was thinking "whatever" I'll just unplug it and he can try it again. Sure enough, where we were getting only about 15-20 feet away, we were able to walk all the way to the end of the service bay which must have been 50 yards or more. Just to be sure, I plugged the USB charger in and retested it - again we could only get at most 20-30 feet away before it would no longer unlock or remote start.

I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself. Anyway, might be something to check for anyone else having distance problems with their remotes.

wouldn't it be a nice feature if the remote would let you know if the car started or failed to start, I had a after market remote start I installed in my FJ Cruiser that flashed when it was remote started sure is a nice feature.

wouldn't it be a nice feature if the remote would let you know if the car started or failed to start, I had a after market remote start I installed in my FJ Cruiser that flashed when it was remote started sure is a nice feature.
Yes, it would be nice but I don't know if it is needed. I assume most people can see their car before starting it remotely. If so, you can tell that it is running because the amber lights come on the front and the rear lights also are on. At least that is the way my Limited works.

Peter

I'll second that. More often than not I have 'remote started' the car from a distance only to find, upon getting to the car, that it hadn't. Irritates the bejeebers out of me. And when it does start, I like how the only verification is the running lights being lit at 1/10th power... so useful in the light of day. I'm not too excited as to the method of implementation on the Ex.

Key FOB Distance Issues

I had the same mystery distance key-fob technical issue with the 2013 Ford Explorer after 6 months and it took me 2 months to figure out and lots of Internet searching. It started at Thanksgiving. The distance range on both my key-fobs dropped to less than 20 feet from well over a 100 feet. I changed the battery in one of the key-fobs an it had no effect on the range. #After spending considerable time on the Internet, Mams-ex comments above solved the problem this week (A big Thank you). At Thanksgiving I unknowingly plugged in a Belkin Model F8Z446 Micro-Auto USB Charger for the iPhone into the outlet INSIDE the center divider console. #Since the 2013 Ford Explorer keeps power on to all cigarette lighter outlets all the time, the charger was powered up even with the vehicle turned off. As stated by Mams-ex above it caused interference with the key-fob signal severely limiting the distance of the Key-fob. #Now I am back to well over 100 feet of range. #So apparently certain USB chargers can interfere with the key-fob in either the inside or back console 12volt outlets. #I have the same feelings as the Mams-ex above: "I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself".

I had the same mystery distance key-fob technical issue with the 2013 Ford Explorer after 6 months and it took me 2 months to figure out and lots of Internet searching. It started at Thanksgiving. The distance range on both my key-fobs dropped to less than 20 feet from well over a 100 feet. I changed the battery in one of the key-fobs an it had no effect on the range. After spending considerable time on the Internet, I solved the problem this week. At Thanksgiving I unknowingly plugged in a Belkin Model F8Z446 Micro-Auto USB Charger for the iPhone into the outlet INSIDE the center divider console. Since the 2013 Ford Explorer keeps power on to all cigarette lighter outlets all the time, the charger was powered up even with the vehicle turned off. It caused interference with the key-fob signal severely limiting the distance of the Key-fob. After removing it, now I am back to well over 100 feet of range. So apparently certain USB chargers can interfere with the key-fob signal in either the inside or back console 12volt outlets. I wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't seen it myself.

remote start and key fob issue 2014 Sport

Just picked up my 14 Sport on Thursday of last week. The door lock / unlock only works when Iam about 10 feet away or closer. The auto start only works at about the same distance. Any one have any thoughts ? Spoke to my sales guy he could care less his answer was call service. Thought since I just spent 47k he would be a little more helpful

i get same depends WHERE IM AT SOME TIMES IT WORKS BETTER SOME TIME NOT I GUESS IT DEPENDS ON FREQUENCY INTERFERENCE ITS MY GUESS ?

USB chargers that use the 12V accessory ports will cause this issue.

Just picked up my 14 Sport on Thursday of last week. The door lock / unlock only works when Iam about 10 feet away or closer. The auto start only works at about the same distance. Any one have any thoughts ? Spoke to my sales guy he could care less his answer was call service. Thought since I just spent 47k he would be a little more helpful
Welcome to the Forum Primo 79-02.:wavey:
As I mentioned in my PM, I have merged your thread/post with this existing one on the same issue.

If the salesman had that type of attitude with me, I'd tell the dealership manager that from now on I'm taking my business elsewhere. I believe most dealers make there $$ on servicing vehicles, not selling them.
Good luck.

Peter

auto start

From reading the forum I removed all extra electronics from my 2014 (cell phone, Ipod) and my remote start worked great! ( key word "worked"). Days later I am back to square on now I have to be at least 5 feet away from the car. :( Should I try changing the battery in the key fob? How easy is it to change the battery in the key fob?

From reading the forum I removed all extra electronics from my 2014 (cell phone, Ipod) and my remote start worked great! ( key word "worked"). Days later I am back to square on now I have to be at least 5 feet away from the car. :( Should I try changing the battery in the key fob? How easy is it to change the battery in the key fob?
I doubt it is the battery. My fob is over 2 1/2 years old and still on the original battery. Since you haven't added the model of your Ex to your profile we don't know which model Explorer you have because it doesn't show in the left margin.
Check out pages 63 and 64 of your Owner's Guide for the procedure.

Peter

The Ford NFC key fob system seems to be really sensitive to any electrical interference. If I have a cell phone charger plugged in the range can be greatly affected.

I also installed a set of DVD headrests. I got power from the 12v socket on the back of the center console. Each headrest has a small transformer with fuse in a case near the end of the cord where the connection is made. So both these are also tucked under the center console. I have a switch that I use to turn power on or off to the units. I like this much better than the units turning on/off every time the ignition is cycled. However, I have noticed that if I leave them on (i.e. running into the mall or McDonalds) when I come out the range is very short.

I know one of the modules for the keyless system is just beside the 12v socket. (if your FOB battery dies, you have to put it in the little slot in the console to start the car). SO I assume the wires and or the small transformers for the DVD system cause enough interference to reduce the range.

Here is what I don't understand. I think there are really two different systems working here:
1. NFC which allows you to simply grab the door handle, must be very close to the car to work.
2. RF which would operate from a distance using the key FOB buttons and remote start.

When my DVD players are on, many times my keyless door handle will not work the first time. I have to basically move my pocket with the key in it very close to the door handle, then it works. When dvd is turned off I can grab the door handle from any arms length distance just fine.

Also when my DVD is on, the Remote start distance also seems to be affected.

Again it seems to me these are different systems, but both are affected by the same interference.

The NFC is probably tuned very precisely as they do not want it to work more than 2 feet from the car, so any little disturbance affects the range. But RF is typically more robust, and why does a cell charge in the front console affect the range. Is the RF antenna close?

I am sure these are things we will never know, just posting my findings. At least I know if I want good range, unplug and turn everything off before getting out...

Another 1UP to the USB charger solution

I have a 2014 Escape that I have been back & forth to the dealer with as well as pulling my hair out at work & at home. The funniest part is that through cable yanking, my USB phone charger gets pulled out of the console socket from time to time and the next time I happen to take note of the FOB working from a distance, it "miraculously" works and I have no explanation because time may have passed since the USB charger was unplugged. I then, at a later time/date, plug the charger in to charge the phone only to have the FOB only work at short distances again the next time I notice it. I never put 2 + 2 together because the two actions were never within a short span of time from each other. After reading this thread, I parked at work this morning and with the charger plugged in, I began stepping backwards from the vehicle until the key would no longer work. This was about 25 ft or so. I then unplugged it and I made it to the front door of my office building, approximately 75 yards away, and was still able to make the horn go off by double pressing the lock button. I was convinced at that point.

Welcome to the Forum Ranmaniac.:wavey:
The phone charger issue has been brought up before as you discovered. Thanks for the testing and posting the results.:thumbsup:

Peter

and an LED,...as at night who knows what they are pressing unless they get their cell phone out to look...

Holy Mother of God - that was it! I have been complaining about this damn things remote start range since I got it, but I keep a spare BB battery charger plugged into the USB port all the time so I always have a fresh battery for my phone and that was it! With it plugged in a can not start it 30 feet away with just a pane of glass between us, but with it unplugged I can start it from the further corner of my basement with the detached garage door closed. I would have never thought of that! Thank you!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Any technical people on this board? On the same topic; I've always wondered where the antenna for the remote start or lock is located on the vehicle. The same one as the FM antenna? There would be an asymmetric range of reception around the vehicle depending on this. Tried to figure it out on the last vehicle when the fob battery was low, to no positive conclusion.

Back