• Register Today It's free!

Key Fob/Remote Wear

RandyH2

Reaction score
City, State
MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'11 Limited AWD
I just noticed that my remote is not holding up very well. The chrome-look plastic (!!!!!!) is losing its paint and now the remote-start sticker is peeling off. Just a couple of months into ownership. I'd call that unusual wear as I have never had it happen before with other cars.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Noticed wear on both of my keys as well, but have them on a key fob with MANY keys. Also noted the remote start sticker wear, but think they may have been meant for the short term/information as they came off quite easily and with min residue.

Tried to find a key protector without luck. Any ideas?

I keep my keys in my front pocket, usually with my wallet and nothing else. The keychain has 4 other keys on it, nothing unusual or different than previously. They used painted plastic in a high-wear location exposed to frequent abrasion by sharp-edged metal keys- not a good choice of material for durability, nor for a $40,000+ car.

They should fix it for all models or at the least make an upgraded key the standard with upscale models.

Also- I continue to set off the car alarm accidentally and just yesterday I was goofing around with my son on the way from the car to the grocery store. When I came back out the rear hatch was already wide open...

Newest "Feature"

No, no, RandyH2, you've stumbled onto another whiz-bang Ford feature in the new Explorer!

In addition to all the other neat things the vehicle can do, when you take it shopping, while you're at the checkout and it's parked outside, it senses whether you have two bags or more and, if so, opens your rear liftgate so that you can put them right inside without fumbling to get the door open.
Developed by same engineers who came up with the wonderful Sync system!

I'm going to chime in here as well. My remote fob seems very poorly made. The phoney chrome around the edges is loose and the entire thing looks as though its 5 years old. I keep mine in my front pocket and try to be careful with it as I am aware of its poor construction.. all to no avail. I can't imagine this thing lasting another year or two. Ford... you may have to step in.

Does this only apply to the Limited remotes? The XLT remote I have is still in tip top condition.

I have an xlt fob too... 4 button with power lift gate. Seems ok. Nicks easy with drops but I guess any fob would.

But 1995se... Doesn't the tiny gap in the seam between the two halves make it kinda cheap/flimsy looking? They couldn't make the seams flush? Makes me wonder if it's water tight when it rains or split open on a drop.

And that gap they purposely left at the top corner. Whats that for? So that you can use a quarter to split it open for battery changes? Looks like you can see daylight through it and I get concerned about getting it wet in rain and water getting into the electronics. Couldnt make it seamless and use tiny screws to keep the halves together like my wife's Lexus keys?

I guess I don't really care for the fobs :)

Does this only apply to the Limited remotes? The XLT remote I have is still in tip top condition.

I have an xlt fob too... 4 button with power lift gate. Seems ok. Nicks easy with drops but I guess any fob would.

But 1995se... Doesn't the tiny gap in the seam between the two halves make it kinda cheap/flimsy looking? They couldn't make the seams flush? Makes me wonder if it's water tight when it rains or split open on a drop.

And that gap they purposely left at the top corner. Whats that for? So that you can use a quarter to split it open for battery changes? Looks like you can see daylight through it and I get concerned about getting it wet in rain and water getting into the electronics. Couldnt make it seamless and use tiny screws to keep the halves together like my wife's Lexus keys?

I guess I don't really care for the fobs :)

Yeah, the gap around the remote is way to big. Maybe they could have centered the gap for the quarter as they did with my 1995 Explorer FOB. That design was pretty durable and nice despite being outdated. I pay little attention to the FOB though because it gets worn out anyways.

yeah i am not really concerned if it gets worn... just hope can take enough drops over the years without cracking and the gaps are truely water tight. i'm hoping they at least put a rubber gasket between the halves but not gonna tempt murphys law right now by prying it open and checking ;)

No, no, RandyH2, you've stumbled onto another whiz-bang Ford feature in the new Explorer!

In addition to all the other neat things the vehicle can do, when you take it shopping, while you're at the checkout and it's parked outside, it senses whether you have two bags or more and, if so, opens your rear liftgate so that you can put them right inside without fumbling to get the door open.
Developed by same engineers who came up with the wonderful Sync system!

I came out from playing indoor soccer the other night and my rear hatch was in the process of closing as I walked up to the vehicle. My keys, wallet, and phone were in the exterior side pocket of my big gym bag. Somehow, the designers of the key fob managed to get close to the perfect telepathic design. Hopefully the next version won't give everyone in the parking lot free access to my radar detector, tools, etc. :(

I got home from the game, unloaded my gear and put my keys in my shorts pocket. A few moments after I sat down at the computer the Explorer panic alarm went off. Joy.

If anyone has a sleeve or something to protect the buttons, I'd love to hear about it as I rarely use the buttons on the fob anyway. As a matter of fact, the fob buttons get more accidental use, and use to diasarm the alarm, then they do intentional use- probably by about a 8:1 ratio.

Also- I continue to set off the car alarm accidentally and just yesterday I was goofing around with my son on the way from the car to the grocery store. When I came back out the rear hatch was already wide open...

I didn't know the liftgate thing was common. I have had the neighbor kids come by twice in the few months I have owned the Ex (once pretty late at night) to tell me I left the lift gate up. Both times, I was sure I didn't leave the lift gate up (and didn't even open the lift gate when returning home the second time it happened). I haven't had a problem with accidental alarms or anything else mentioned as far as the key fob is concerned and I was thinking I was going a little nutty with the liftgate and wasn't worried that much till seeing these posts. Now, I guess this may just be one more possible glitch. I just need to remember not to leave anything valuable in the car (good advice in any case).

OMG, what else do you have to watch for, now the key FOB. Can any of these issue's be presented to Ford, so they can reply in our Forum (the suggestion box or future TSB's needed for fixes? Aren't the FOB very expensive, I don't know about others, after purchasing a almost 50k suv, the FOB unless it never works will be last on the list! I have to agree donm557, our Lexus FOB is pricless, 6 years old and you can't tell the wear on it!

Got my Ex Limited Aug 4 - one month later my key FOB went in the washer.

It went through the extra wash cycle, spin, rinse and spin dry. When it came out I opened it and it was totally dry, there is no rubber gasket but there is a spot of clear protective grease on the battery.

Works 100% tried everything, lock, power start, unlock, power gate and
the panic button. All options working fine.

Not sure if the metal key will really open the lock?? The little plastic top does not feel strong enough to open the lock. I tried it but I did not want to turn the key because the top felt like it would break off. I will have to wait until I really need to use it.

I have an XLT also with the 4 buttons, only had it a few weeks, so far it seems to be fine, but honestly the build quality seems really cheap and the remote part seems way too big. I feel like they really cheaped out on this part.

The scion I traded in had a much better key than this, heck if someone would make an alternative I would totally buy it.

I transferred my key into a leather pouch that has a zipper, that I got from when I purchased my BMW. I just use the feel touch method to lock, start, unlock, and open the rear. I've never had issues with opened hatch, I'm just to careful I guess.

I have an idea to create a leather sleeve that would wrap the key fob in it's form like a glove. Have colored stiching that would match the interior or exterior color. Only problem is I wouldn't know where the hell to start to work with leather. I'm going to the drawing board. Have the ability to press the buttons w/o wearing out the fob itself and have either etched it engraved "X" "Explorer" and maybe a custom to your screen name or whatever you want.

anyone interested?

Last edited:

I would be. Leather or neoprene would be great

anyone interested?

Keep us posted for sure! Neoprene would be a whole lot easier to work with.
I have neoprene covers on all my camera lenses...well the real expensive ones anyway.:cool:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back