Key Fob - Where are the Receiver(s) located on the EX? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Key Fob - Where are the Receiver(s) located on the EX?

HoldHard

Reaction score
City, State
Motor City 'burbs
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Limited & 2013 Sport
As the title asks, where are the radio frequency signal receivers located on the Explorer? Using the heavy-duty CoverCraft USV100 windshield shade, it blocks a majority of the light coming into the car from the front. It tucks up closely underneath the rear view mirror. (see picture below)

When it is in place the key fob has a tough time locking/unlocking/remote starting the vehicle. Could it be blocking the receiver?

Anybody know where the antenna is located? Is there just one or multiple? This is the remote capability included with the 401A package on the Sport, not after market.

Thanks,
HH

uf.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As the title asks, where are the radio frequency signal receivers located on the Explorer? Using the heavy-duty CoverCraft USV100 windshield shade, it blocks a majority of the light coming into the car from the front. It tucks up closely underneath the rear view mirror. (see picture below)

When it is in place the key fob has a tough time locking/unlocking/remote starting the vehicle. Could it be blocking the receiver?

Anybody know where the antenna is located? Is there just one or multiple? This is the remote capability included with the 401A package on the Sport, not after market.

Thanks,
HH

uf.jpg
I don't recall this ever being discussed before or answered. Different manufacturers put them in different places. Have a look at the last post in this thread;
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=337410&highlight=receiver
Not sure if that addresses the issue or not.
Perhaps you can check out www.fordparts.com and see if it is shown anywhere.

Peter

They are located all around the vehicle. Most of them appear to be for the Intelligent access, since I guess it has a very short range, they put sensors in the doors and trunk.

See the image:
MF11190.gif

Here is a link to the page of parts and descriptions: http://www.tascaparts.com/parts/2013/FORD/Explorer/Limited?siteid=213668&vehicleid=381701&diagram=MF11190

However, I think for the remote start and remote unlock (using fob from a distance), the antenna must be under the dash on the main alarm module.
And it probably uses somewhere between 315mhz to 433mhz based on the other remote start options.

If you have range issues, MAKE SURE you unplug all cell phone adapters and chargers from the power points. I have a regular Anker charger for my android phone. When it is plugged in to my powerpoint, my range is horrible. Unplug it and I get great range.

They are located all around the vehicle. Most of them appear to be for the Intelligent access, since I guess it has a very short range, they put sensors in the doors and trunk.

However, I think for the remote start and remote unlock (using fob from a distance), the antenna must be under the dash on the main alarm module.
And it probably uses somewhere between 315mhz to 433mhz based on the other remote start options.

If you have range issues, MAKE SURE you unplug all cell phone adapters and chargers from the power points. I have a regular Anker charger for my android phone. When it is plugged in to my powerpoint, my range is horrible. Unplug it and I get great range.
According to fordparts.com, it looks like they are all located around the driver's side.

Peter

Try changing the battery ...... It worked for me. The life on the battery is nil. I thought it was the truck, but both fob batteries were dead. Even the one I didn't use and that was in like two years!

Thanks for the responses.

There is a iPod Nano (the smallest one) plugged into the USB port under the rotating cover at the front of the center console. That is the only thing plugged in.

Try changing the battery ...... It worked for me. The life on the battery is nil. I thought it was the truck, but both fob batteries were dead. Even the one I didn't use and that was in like two years!
Bought the vehicle July 26, 2013. Hopefully, the batteries will last longer than 3 months.

Trying to remote start the Sport from my second floor office. It's parked about 50 feet away and sometimes the "Lock, start, start" sequence doesn't work at all, other times the car will flash the turn signals indicating the doors are locked and then other times it will start. I'll keep testing different environments (different angles, different office location, shorter distance) and see what is blocking the signal.

HH

Thanks for the responses.

There is a iPod Nano (the smallest one) plugged into the USB port under the rotating cover at the front of the center console. That is the only thing plugged in.

Bought the vehicle July 26, 2013. Hopefully, the batteries will last longer than 3 months.

Trying to remote start the Sport from my second floor office. It's parked about 50 feet away and sometimes the "Lock, start, start" sequence doesn't work at all, other times the car will flash the turn signals indicating the doors are locked and then other times it will start. I'll keep testing different environments (different angles, different office location, shorter distance) and see what is blocking the signal.

HH
The batteries in my fobs are more than 2 1/2 years old and still work. As for the remote start, where my Explorer is parked in the garage is about 20 feet from my bedroom. I find that 99% of the time I have go through the remote start sequence twice before the vehicle starts.

Peter

I would try if for about a week without using the sunshade. It does have reflective properties and could be diverting/blocking your signal. I would think the sunshade could block the signal approaching from the front, but should not affect it approaching from the rear.

My dads old Cadillac had a factory window coating on it that would not allow the Florida "Sun Pass" toll sensor to be mounted on his windshield. It just simply would not work, after getting lots of tickets (they had the photo showing the unit mounted in his window, so no fines). Now he just holds the unit out the window when driving through the tolls and it works fine.

Some of the most benign things can cause lots of havoc in these systems...

Looks like it's the bronze metal coating on the office windows. I can start the EX from almost 80 feet away when I'm outside but it has to be parked right under the office window (less than 10 feet) to receive the start signal from inside.

Live and learn.

HH

I have the same exact sunshade and have used them on my last 3 vehicles. I swear by them! I have never had a problem when using my remote!

I have the same exact sunshade and have used them on my last 3 vehicles. I swear by them! I have never had a problem when using my remote!
Correct, it was not the sun shade but the metal coatings on my office window that were affecting the distance that the fob acutally worked.

The sunshade had nothing to do with it.

HH

Back