Key fobs not working - apparent fix | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Key fobs not working - apparent fix

SQ5

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015, Explorer Limited
Had this problem with my 2015 Explorer Limited, neither key fob would work intermittently, doors not locking/unlocking, no remote start and hatch not opening when using remotes...changed batteries, reset Sync, nothing worked for any length of time. Took it to the dealer and it actually acted up while they had it! They replaced a receiver module, BB5Z-15K602-L and it appears to have fixed the problem, at least for the last three months. Apparently the module is the tire pressure monitor module. Hope this helps.... the dealer had to contact Ford engineering to help with the fix.

Thought I'd post this if others may be having this problem.
Alex

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anybody know where on the vehicle this antenna module is located? I'd like to pick one up and DIY the install to see if it fixes my wonky intermittent functioning of my wireless fobs.

Anybody know where on the vehicle this antenna module is located? I'd like to pick one up and DIY the install to see if it fixes my wonky intermittent functioning of my wireless fobs.

They had to remove console or console box to replace it. Hope this helps.

I ordered my BB5Z-15K602-L today, will update if it resolves my key fob issues!

So..before I self-install this part (BB5Z-15K602-L). Does anybody know if it needs to be programmed to the vehicle or keys, or is it just plug and play? Thinking I might just let the dealership install this thing.

I would think not, but if I where you I would call the place you purchased it from and ask them to be sure.

Making an account to tell you guys my 2011 Ford Explorer XLT Key Fob stopped working one day while out of town. Changed battery, no response when reprogramming. Almost paid for a new key! Cut and programmed would be 150$ 230$from Dealer -_- Then my dad, previous owner, happens to have the 2nd key we try to program and no response. Believe it to be the TPMS Receiver so we order part from Ebay for $50 and I see 3 forum posts of DISCONNECTING THE BATTERY power cycle reset 3 minutes and now the KEY WILL PROGRAM. Thanks for this post.

^^Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

Thanks. I realized that since the poster had actually deleted the thread.
2011_explorer_componentviews_14.png

Back