• Register Today It's free!

key fobs

jcasey007

Reaction score
City, State
Stratford Upon Avon, Warwickshire
Year, Model & Trim Level
Jeep Commander 5.7L HEMI
I found these instructions below for the programming of a key fob in the 95-2001 section. does this mean that I can take any one button key fob and reprogram it to work with my car? If so, Chris do you have any?

also does a UK 1997 have a coded key?

cheers

jim

1. Turn ignition from OFF to RUN 8 times within 10 seconds, with the
8th time ending in RUN. Door locks will cycle to confirm
programming mode.

2. Within 20 seconds press any button on first keyless remote.
Door locks will cycle to confirm programming.

3. Within 20 seconds, press any button on second keyless remote.
Door locks will cycle again to confirm programming.

4. Turn ignition to OFF.
Locks will again cycle to indicate end of programming mode.

Disclaimer

Now that you have programmed your keyless remote.
Click below for instructions to program an ignition key.

ProgramAutoKeys.com

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hi these look like the instructions for two/three button remotes i dont think they work on single button remotes.
i have several two button remotes but they wont replace the single button bosh remote.
cheers chris

thanks chris,

I've done some more searching on the forum and it looks like dealer only if I have a new fob, I'd rather rip out the ford unit and replace with an after-market unit than take it to a dealer

cheers

key fbs

i dont know if this is of any help but i needed a new key and i didnt want to pay main dealer so on one of my jaunts south i went to north weald market and there a man cut a key programmed it and did the key fob. so maybe you have a market near you. i paid 35pounds which i thought was reasonable. the money i saved bought more petrol hehe.

thanks tribble, yes my local market has the same service but he can only do 2 button remotes and has never seen a single button remote

cheers

jim

remote

simples....... buy a two button remote i got mine from ebay really cheap.
i now have two sets of keys/remotes.

surely a two button remote can replace a one button one.???

oh im sure someone on here will have the answer....these nice people know everything about the explorer.

sorry

im not even blonde sorry howard i have now read the thread properly and i am now returning to my box corrected

Don't feel too bad it is an easy assumption to make. The early 96-first part 98 Explorers that where imported had the Bosch one button remote system. Then they installed two button remote together with the PATS anti-theft system (chip in the key). I am lead to believe from my manual that there are three button remotes on the later cars. (the extra one is a panic button).

I have just purchased a new fob off the ebay thinking it was a 2 button type unfortunately it turned out to be a single button type, anybody want to swap
Pete

2 button key fob

hi i dont want the single button fob but can let you have a good 2 button one . pm me if you want it cheers chris

and I need a single button one (but don't have a 2 button) but have cash

PM me also

cheers

Jim

Hi Chris
Yes please tell me how much and I will send you the cash,
Hi Jim
What ever Chris wants for his 2 button you can have my single button for, I got sucker in by a high start bid but as long as I end up with a spare fob that's fine.

hi i dont want anything for the fob if you pm me your address i will post one to you. then you can send your to jim .cheers chris

Thanks Guys
Alls well that ends well. Jim should have his single button by now and I have a two button spare courtesy of Chris which is now coded up successfully. Great result thanks again

yes thanks arrived this morning

thanks all

Hi,
I have damaged my single button remote fob by rolling my canoe with my keys in my pocket - stupid I know. The "P" reg Exp only came with one fob and one key. I have managed to get my 4 digit immobiliser code from FORD which allows me to go through the key on - off procedure to get my Exp started however I cannot get the immobiliser in to learn mode and try synchronising my Ford Scorpio single button remote that I bought from ebay as a replacement!!!
I have searched - exstensively - on this forum but every option I try does not "lock - unlock" the doors to allow me to press the single button on the fob?
Because I do not have a fob I have to remove the horn relay - enter my 4digit immobiliser number - refit my horn relay and the Exp will start. Switch her off again but the bl@@dy thing will not go into learn mode whatever amount of key on / off's I enter!?!?!?!?

Any help / advice greatly appreciated

hi
the only route I know to get a single button bosch key fob programmed is by Ford. There is no self learning mode for single button units.
Other possibility I was told of was to get a secondhand immobiliser with associated programmed single button fobs or a non ford replacement system.
The 2 and 3 button fobs dont work and its not just a swap of a newer immobiliser

Hi,
sorry for the late reply.

I guess its a trip to the Dealer then - hope they are aware of how to programme the Key Fob I have sourced as I cannot pick up a second hand Exp fob anywhere??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

single button remote

hi i have a single button remote fob with the immobiliser and ecu all from the same car. i think if you change all 3 together it should work.with out reprograming. cheers chris

Back