Key for the Wheel Bearing Nut | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Key for the Wheel Bearing Nut

WizardOfOdds

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Explorer
I've started on doing the rotors on my 1992 Ex... I only finished one the rotor on the passanger side with no problems. I went to start on the drivers side today and I couldn't get that little key that goes into the wheel bearing nut out. The other rotors I took the key out with a magnet and it worked like a charm. Not happening this time. I tried using the magnet, tried with tiny flat head screwdrivers to pick it out, and I even tried making a pick out of a paper clip and still it won't come out. I sprayed brake clearning hoping that it might free the key up a bit or something. Anybody know some other tricks to get this darn thing out or should I just keep going at it with what I've been doing and hope I get lucky? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When I changed out my auto hubs for manuals I had a bear of a time on one side. I had to nudge the nut itself a bit in one direction to take the pressure off of the key. Sometimes the nut will turn itself tight against the key and no tricks will work unless you take the pressure off. The magnet didn't work for me even on the side that was loose, I used a dentist pick, like stated above, to dig it out.

Yeah, I agree with that. You need to move the nut back and forth just a little bit each way, maybe with a pair of channel locks (if you don't have a 2 3/8 rounded hex socket) while you're using the magnet, and it should (mind you I said should) come right out. Good luck!

Yeah, I agree with that. You need to move the nut back and forth just a little bit each way, maybe with a pair of channel locks (if you don't have a 2 3/8 rounded hex socket) while you're using the magnet, and it should (mind you I said should) come right out. Good luck!

thats how i did it

Ok thanks for the replies... will try that tommorow... Im also borrowing some better picks off a friend tonight and give those a shot... thanks:roll:

Definitely channel locks and a magnet are the way to go. It helps to use a strong magnet (sounds like you have one, since you were able to get one side done). More parts cleaner can't hurt to get rid of any old grease that may be binding it up. The socket would get in the way.

You want to put the channel locks on, and turn the nut slowly back and forth while using the magnet. The key will pop right out as soon as the sideways pressure is released by the channel locks.

Mike

A seal pick makes it almost too easy and they cost like 2 dollars on special..

As Ericksaint mentioned...sometimes the Nut will try to loosen or tighten by the rotation of the tires, it might bind on that 'key'. To keep that nut from spinning is the job of that key. You may have to try slightly turning the nut to free up the key.

Thanks guy... I got it out this morning... I didnt have any pick.. What I did was hold the magnet up to the key, and hit the round part of the nut softly but firmly... about 15 hits or so the nut came out... =)

Back