• Register Today It's free!

key inside fob?

TMack2300

Reaction score
City, State
Livonia, Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer Sport
where does it go inside the explorer to start it in :Dcase fob dies??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I cant remember right now for sure, but if I do remember correctly there is an alternative spot in the center console compartment near the front of it fairly hidden from sight that allows the use of a manual key in some way. I dont know if you actually have to use the key or just put the fob in the holder. I believe the medal key thats hidden is so that you can use the key hole to open the door and then you can put the fob in the special location in the console to use the vehicle. I could be wrong on some of that. I am pretty certain its in the user manual though.

where does it go inside the explorer to start it in :Dcase fob dies??
The mechanical keyblade inside the fob will not start the vehicle. It is designed to only lock/unlock the driver's door and glove box.

If the battery in the fob is very weak, there is an alternate way to try and start the Explorer. It is outlined on page 191 of the 2014 Owner's Guide.

Peter

Last edited:

The alternative way of starting the vehicle out llned in the 2014 owner manual has me wondering if my 2011 has that option. I found nothing in my owners manual. It would be great if I could start it with just the hidden key.

The alternative way of starting the vehicle out llned in the 2014 owner manual has me wondering if my 2011 has that option. I found nothing in my owners manual. It would be great if I could start it with just the hidden key.
Yes the 2011 has the same procedure. It is on page 268 of the Owner's Guide, 4th printing.

Peter

The mechanical keyblade inside the fob will not start the vehicle. It is designed to only lock/unlock the driver's door and glove box.

If the battery in the fob is very weak, there is an alternate way to try and start the Explorer. It is outlined on page 191 of the 2014 Owner's Guide.

Peter

Peter, the hidden key also works to turn on/off the rear door child safety locks too. It's in the manual. Sheesh, I wish people would read their manuals:D

Peter, the hidden key also works to turn on/off the rear door child safety locks too. It's in the manual. Sheesh, I wish people would read their manuals:D
Being that I never have need for those locks it wasn't something that came to mind. I think the one time I played around with them I used a dime. I think I'll put my Owner's Guide back in the glove box. It has been sitting here beside the computer for almost 3 years but now I use the downloaded PDF guide. It is much easier to find things that way. Thanks.:thumbsup:

Peter

I found the little slot in center counsel where the key fob can be placed according to owners manual. Does anyone know if the key fob is at that location, what is being sensed. A chip in the spare key? something in the on the printed circuit board. I mean if the battery is dead in key fob or very low, whats make the car start-able?

I found the little slot in center counsel where the key fob can be placed according to owners manual. Does anyone know if the key fob is at that location, what is being sensed. A chip in the spare key? something in the on the printed circuit board. I mean if the battery is dead in key fob or very low, whats make the car start-able?

great question???
can u post pic on location you found?:D

great question???
can u post pic on location you found?:D
Here are a couple of pictures. You'll see they are just like the picture on page 191 of your Owner's Guide.

Peter

Attachments

• P2150183_1_01.JPG
    P2150183_1_01.JPG
    64 KB · Views: 2,911
  • P2150181_1_01.JPG
    P2150181_1_01.JPG
    86.7 KB · Views: 1,119

I guessing that there is something there that is able to recognize the code in the fob and works much like the engine immobilizer when you press the start button with the key near by.

Peter

The antenna for the keyfob is on the back of the console, directly opposite that "slot".
Basically the way it works is that if you have battery, RF is used to communicate. If your battery is dead, RFID is used (kind of like NFC... it's a non-powered close proximity communication method).

thanks to all for the good answers. I looked up RFID and now I'm a little smarter. pretty cool.

thanks to all for the good answers. I looked up RFID and now I'm a little smarter. pretty cool.
I believe that RFID is also used by some stores in the tags attached to items to help prevent shoplifting.

Peter

Newbie question. I have the regular, "old" type of key you actually put in the ignition key hole to turn and start that also has the plastic fob attached that unlocks, sets alarm, etc.

If the battery dies, will it still start the car? I have an actual "old" style key for my Saab just like my Ford key, but if they battery dies in the fob it won't start the Saab because it still uses a radio frequency for security purposes (I assume for valets making a clay impression of your key, finding your address in the glove compartment, and later stealing your car).

So, with the standard, "old" actual key, does the 2011 start if the battery in the fob is dead? I'd actually prefer it worked with the dead battery as I see chances of theft as very low from copying the key.

Newbie question. I have the regular, "old" type of key you actually put in the ignition key hole to turn and start that also has the plastic fob attached that unlocks, sets alarm, etc.

If the battery dies, will it still start the car? I have an actual "old" style key for my Saab just like my Ford key, but if they battery dies in the fob it won't start the Saab because it still uses a radio frequency for security purposes (I assume for valets making a clay impression of your key, finding your address in the glove compartment, and later stealing your car).

So, with the standard, "old" actual key, does the 2011 start if the battery in the fob is dead? I'd actually prefer it worked with the dead battery as I see chances of theft as very low from copying the key.
The back up method of starting refers to the IA key only. I don't know for sure if you can start a regular keyed Explorer if the battery was dead. It would be easy enough to find out though. Just remove that keyhead battery and try and start the vehicle. That should give you your answer and if you should have a spare battery around.

Peter

Back