Key out, headlights stay on, drains battery. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Key out, headlights stay on, drains battery.

Corvin

Reaction score
City, State
CFB Borden, On
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Limited
Highbeam light goes on when the truck is started (had to boost it this morning) and stays on unless the lights are turned on (either manually or by the auto sensor on the mirror). The lights will not turn off, I've tried setting the delay on the autolights on the mirror all the way to the left and the right and in the middle, no changes. I've checked all the fuses and nothing is burnt out, no smell of anything burning anywhere either.

I know electrical problems are a pain to diagnose without seeing it, but I'm looking for places to start. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my old 94 limited had auto lights. Every now and then the lights would not auto shut off. The only way to turn off the lights were too push the auto light button on the mirror off. This would turn the lights off.

studd469 said:
The only way to turn off the lights were too push the auto light button on the mirror off. This would turn the lights off.

Thanks but that's been tried and didn't work. The part that confuses me is why the Highbeam light on the dash is on when the lights are off.

reset

reset your battery make sure your lights are off

I just picked up two owner's manuals today at the local wrecking yards. A 1993 and a 1994 Explorer manual (the 1993 manual I got for my daughter's "new to her" 1993 Limited). Fuse location # 12 is a 20 Amp circuit breaker that operates the cigarette lighter and it also operates the "Flash to Pass" feature. Try pulling that circuit breaker and see if the problem goes away. Perhaps something in the flash to pass circuit is holding the high beams on. Flash to pass is the feature that makes your high beams flash on or off, or hold on, when you pull on your high beam switch without the headlights on.

"DLR" Daytime Running Lights, Canada Only

New Development, Pull underdash fuse # 5 and see if the lights go off. I will post another reply in a minute with a quote from the 1994 AND 1993 owner's manuals...

"Daytime Running Lights, Canada Vehicles Only" Page 90 of the 1994 Explorer Owner's Manual and Page 78 of the 1993 Owner's Manual. "The daytime running light system is designed to turn the highbeam lamps ON, with a reduced light output and without illuminating the high beam indicator lamp in the instrument panel, when all of the following conditions are met:
1. The vehicle is running
2. The vehicle has a fully released parking brake
3.The headlamp system is in the OFF position

Perhaps, since it looks like you are in Ontario? the module is faulty and is keeping the lights on after the Explorer is turned off??

It does mention the lights will flicker when a Canadian vehicle is started due to this feature being installed in the SUVs.

This sounds like a nice option to have in a U.S. vehicle.

The multi function switch is a somewhat common failure in the explorers. It not only controls the turn signals and wipers, it also controls the high beams. If the switch is going bad it may be shorting out and putting power to where it shouldn't be.

I picked up a multi function switch at a yard for $25 (it came out of a ranger). I brought my old one with me and they matched it up (the book doesn't show the switch interchanges with the ranger, but it looked close enough, I tried it, and it works).

~Mark

Soulution

Turns out it was the daytime running lights module.

They had to pull off the dash to fix it though, what a pain.

Thanks for the assist guys.

Back