Key security features preventing start up | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Key security features preventing start up

Aslentz

Reaction score
City, State
OSHKOSH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer PIU
Hello all!! I have been lurking on the site for about a month as I have been negotiating the purchase of a PIU. This forum is a great resource and I will be taking full advantage of everyone's knowledge.

Last night I finally bought the vehicle from a young gentleman. The vehicle has the interior torn out as he was installing new carpet and ran out of time before moving. He also had some issues with the steering wheel functions, which I believe could be the sccm. Unfortunately he started to dig into the wiring harness and some connections are not connected and a few wires are spliced.

While unloading all the interior parts from the car I found 2 more keys. I tried one in the ignition and it turned but did not start the vehicle. The headlights came on and the dash lit up besides the main dash menu. I then tried the key that has started the vehicle a number of times and it had the same issue. Is there a security feature that I may have tripped trying the other key?

Thank you for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just wanted to say Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I don't have the answer and do not recall a similar issue. Hopefully someone can assist you. Please keep us updated. Thanks.

Peter

Just wanted to say Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
I don't have the answer and do not recall a similar issue. Hopefully someone can assist you. Please keep us updated. Thanks.

Peter
Thanks for the welcome!!

I cleaned the battery terminals and connections but the problem is still there. I also disconnected the battery and reconnected it with the "good" key in the ignition at the on position. No luck

Interceptors just use a basic key, no security other than the cut of the key (no PATS, etc)

Interceptors just use a basic key, no security other than the cut of the key (no PATS, etc)
Hmm, the issue only came up when I tried a different key. I wonder if a wire was bumped when the interior was taken apart by the previous owner.

The main screen on the cluster gauge and the controls on the middle of the dash are not powered. The radio and gauges are lit up though.

Maybe start looking at fuses as well. Sometimes when taken out of service, wires are just cut, but left un-insulated/isolated.

Maybe start looking at fuses as well. Sometimes when taken out of service, wires are just cut, but left un-insulated/isolated.
Thanks for the tip. I have notice a few wires just cut. Maybe one shorted to ground and blew a fuse

Disconnect the battery asap, go through the vehicle and fix, properly terminate any loose wiring, etc. Then check fuses and get yourself a service manual if need be. Don't want to be taking the chance of causing any other issues.

Are they the original plain keys? They don't have any immobilizer function or chip. Is there a security system added on?

Are they the original plain keys? They don't have any immobilizer function or chip. Is there a security system added on?
Yes they are the original type keys, not sure if they are the original though. No additional security system that I am aware of. I purchased the vehicle, drove to a restaurant for supper, and then drove the vehicle home. It has been started 5 or 6 times with the "good" key without issue when buying it.

Once home I unloaded all the interior panels and tried the spare key. Thats when the issue started. I also noticed last night that the rear HVAC is on full blast and it wasn't when I parked it in the garage. The HVAC controls are backlit but will not change to the yellow power on or yellow settings lights.

It cranks but won't start? Basic diagnostics from here on. Get a code reader and scan for codes. Get a can of starting fluid and spray into the intake and crank it again. If it tries to start, you have a fuel delivery problem. Get a spark tester to check for spark. If you don't get spark, you have an ignition problem.

It cranks but won't start? Basic diagnostics from here on. Get a code reader and scan for codes. Get a can of starting fluid and spray into the intake and crank it again. If it tries to start, you have a fuel delivery problem. Get a spark tester to check for spark. If you don't get spark, you have an ignition problem.
It does not crank at all.

If the battery is hooked up the headlights, taillights,HVAC back lights and dash gauge back lights are on. Even with the light dial set to off. When I drove it home I had to manually turn the lights on. When a key is inserted and turned to on the rear HVAC is on full blast, which wasn't on when I turned it off. Attempting to start the vehicle results in one click from what sounds to be a relay under the drivers dash. It does not crank like a dead battery and the battery is a brand new agm 800CCA battery.

The previous owner had the steering wheel controls and drivers seat adjustment stop working after he installed carpet in the front. Possibly a missed ground or connection. He did unhook a bunch of connectors looking for the issue. My first steps will be to remove the dash and return the harness back to stock. As well as removing any lighting wires from the PD.

Try starting in neutral or jiggling the shifter in case the safety switch is bad. Not sure of this model but on a Ranger I had, I could remove the starter relay and jump the terminals to crank it and get it started. See if you can find a starter relay.

Try starting in neutral or jiggling the shifter in case the safety switch is bad. Not sure of this model but on a Ranger I had, I could remove the starter relay and jump the terminals to crank it and get it started. See if you can find a starter relay.
No luck starting in neutral with or without the parking brake. Any idea where the starter relay is to save me some time looking?

Update for everyone as I am back from travel a little while.

I connected a scanner to the vehicle this weekend and found that the vehicle is not communicating with it. All fuses are good in both fuse boxes. I did find the restraint control module harness, on the tunnel, had wires striped from the previous owner setting a civilian center console on it. I'm wondering if this maybe fried the ECU/ECM instead of a fuse?

I'd like to find the ECU/ECM and check that it is getting power. Anyone know where this is or have an electrical print?

I've never used a DVD service manual. How in depth do they go? Similar to a Chilton or Haynes repair manual?
It's what the dealer techs use. Ten times better than anything from Chiltons or Haynes. I'm talking about the factory DVD I linked to, not the $10 or $15 knock offs some are selling.

Untitled.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No luck starting in neutral with or without the parking brake. Any idea where the starter relay is to save me some time looking?
Same thing was happening with my 2013 PIU, I don't know what I did or changed but now I have to press the brake pedal in while turning the key to get it to crank. But if you're not able to communicate with the ECU that might be a different issue altogether

Back