Key turned off explorer would not stop running | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Key turned off explorer would not stop running

moby14

Reaction score
City, State
Petersburg, Alaska
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Ford Explorer XLT
Hi my 1994 ford explorer was running fine on my way to the gas station, however i kinda heard a rattling sound that I had never heard before. When I was stopping to get gas and put my car in park I turned the key for it to come off but it wouldn't turn off but the engine made a more chugging down sound. Than I was able to turn the key back on and it made the regular engine sound so I got back in drove it home turned off the key and than the engine turned off. And after that when I turned back on the key it made no clicking sounds or cranking sounds but all the gauges turned on. Anybody have any ideas, thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Issue might be within your ignition switch. Does it have a lot of play?

Sounds like an overheated engine dieseling.

Maybe leaky injector with overheated engine or severe carbon buildup like FR-425 said...

But, no power to the computer means no fuel (pulse or pump) and no spark. It would take a lot to make the engine still run without the computer. I'm inclined to believe a faulty or improperly adjusted ignition switch is to blame.

Check the starter & the wiring to it. I had a wiring issue on my last X & it caused some funky things to happen.

Back