• Register Today It's free!

Keyless alert

MrsBabs

Reaction score
City, State
Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Explorer Limited
Is there a way to turn off the keyless alert. When I pick my kids up from daycare, I leave the car running. That means the horn honks or should I say alerts when I get out of my car to get kids, honks when I put child one in and honks again when I put child two it. It's very annoying. It also does it when I leave car running when I run into gas station in morning. I am from a very small town area so car theft is not an issue. I just want the thing to quit honking when I get out of it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is there a way to turn off the keyless alert. When I pick my kids up from daycare, I leave the car running. That means the horn honks or should I say alerts when I get out of my car to get kids, honks when I put child one in and honks again when I put child two it. It's very annoying. It also does it when I leave car running when I run into gas station in morning. I am from a very small town area so car theft is not an issue. I just want the thing to quit honking when I get out of it.

Turn it off. :confused: Guess you leave the kids in the running car with the windows up and ac/heat on when you go in to the store too.

Is this a serious question?

Are you really leaving kids unattended in a running auto?

No matter the size of town you live in, that's just dangerous.

Is this a serious question?

Are you really leaving kids unattended in a running auto?

No matter the size of town you live in, that's just dangerous.

Where exactly does she say she leaves kids unattended in a running vehicle? How do you know she doesn't stop at the gas station AFTER dropping her kids off? Plus, it's her choice to do as she wants.

The answer to the original question appears to be no. You can search under "horn chirps" for the prior discussion of this issue. The only options that have been identified are to turn off the vehicle or to not quite close the door. The latter doesn't help when putting children into it, but it is my solution when picking up the mail.

You obviously don't read closely. The car is empty when I go into the daycare to get kids and bring them both out and put them in their car seats. And believe it or not, there really still exist places that you never have to lock your door.... By the way, I am the one that investigates the idiots that leave their kids in the car while they go shopping so fear not, I am breaking no laws.

Thanks

The answer to the original question appears to be no. You can search under "horn chirps" for the prior discussion of this issue. The only options that have been identified are to turn off the vehicle or to not quite close the door. The latter doesn't help when putting children into it, but it is my solution when picking up the mail.

Thank you for answering my question.

There is a round about way, but it means stopping and restarting the car - if you have a remote starter. If you have preset everything to "auto" for climate then it'll automatically adjust while you're away from the car. Otherwise, the answer is no.

That would be right here
"honks when I put child one in and honks again when I put child two it. It's very annoying."

I think you are misunderstanding what she is saying. The way I understood it, she gets both her kids from daycare (leaving the car running), comes back with BOTH kids. buckles her first kid in. Shuts the door. Walks around the car, to the other side, buckles kid #2 in. Shuts the door. Gets back in the drivers seat.

I don't understand her to mean that after she buckles child 1 in she goes back into the daycare to get child 2.

Hi MrsBabs,

As WiEx has stated, no, there isn't a way to turn off the horn chirps. This is considered a safety feature and cannot be disabled.

The answer to the original question appears to be no. You can search under "horn chirps" for the prior discussion of this issue...

Exactly right, WiEx. Thanks for helping out! :thumbsup:

Crystal

My horn does not chirp when I leave the car running without the key nearby. 2013 limited...

Maybe that's bc there are no kids in it..? JUST KIDDING!

But seriously, it doesn't chirp when the key is left out.

My horn has never honked/chirped on my 2011. Have walked out of the Ex dozens of times with it running and the fob in my pocket. Only thing that happens is the display says "no key detected"

My horn has never honked/chirped on my 2011. Have walked out of the Ex dozens of times with it running and the fob in my pocket. Only thing that happens is the display says "no key detected"

This was a new "feature" introduced on the 2013s. It may have happened part way through the model year. If you have it and get out of a running vehicle with the fob in your pocket, the horn will chirp twice when you close the door.

I think you are misunderstanding what she is saying. The way I understood it, she gets both her kids from daycare (leaving the car running), comes back with BOTH kids. buckles her first kid in. Shuts the door. Walks around the car, to the other side, buckles kid #2 in. Shuts the door. Gets back in the drivers seat.

I don't understand her to mean that after she buckles child 1 in she goes back into the daycare to get child 2.

I'm glad someone else can understand properly. Leaving one in the car while going back inside for the other doesn't even make the least amount of sense.

This was a new "feature" introduced on the 2013s. It may have happened part way through the model year. If you have it and get out of a running vehicle with the fob in your pocket, the horn will chirp twice when you close the door.

thanks for the clarification... so odd that they intro it halfway thru the year and its not just a software update.. oh well. not complaining!

... the horn will chirp twice when you close the door.

Can we refer to it as a honk versus a chirp? One sounds much quieter than the other and it really is loud and announces to the neighborhood that you've just walked away from a running vehicle.

I have encountered this in the exact same way as the OP. In my scenario, I pull up to my garage and get the kids out before I pull all the way in so as I step outside my door and shut it, the horn honks twice. As I step into their door and get them out of their car seats and then shut their door, the EX honks twice again as I walk them into the house. I then return, open my door and drive the vehicle all the way in and shut it off. Four honks in the direction of the garage sure echoes throughout the house and my neighborhood that I'm home. My new baby does NOT appreciate it... Would definitely disable if they let me or change it to a real chirp versus a honk.

I'd also like the ability to turn that off. My townhouse garage is very narrow, so in order to take anything out, I need to do that BEFORE I pull in the garage. Picked up a pizza last night around 10:30 and announced to the entire neighborhood that I was back when I left the Explorer running in the driveway.

My 2011 doesnt honk, but I think if you left the keys in the vehicle, you could get in and out as much as you want...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 2011 doesnt honk, but I think if you left the keys in the vehicle, you could get in and out as much as you want...

That's true. However, some of us leave the fob in our pocket and having to dig it out, particularly when wearing a winter jacket, is a nuisance and defeats some of the convenience of keyless ignition.

Back