Keyless Button 1/2 non responsive im lost :mad: | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Keyless Button 1/2 non responsive im lost :mad:

wickedme45

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLT
:mad:So a while ago i thought the keypad button numbers 1/2 quit working as their was no illumination upon being pressed while all others worked.

So i went to the junk yard picked up another keypad and installed it today and still.. 1/2 does not work.

Can I be missing something> Is there a wire that would break causing only this specific keypad button from being non responsive?

I can still lock the doors
I even put the other one back in to make sure i didnt confuse the two.

Im confused as hell now:mad:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow! I haven't seen you around in a while. I hope all is well. :thumbsup:

I will forward some info when I get home tonight.

Sorry, I was unable to get the info to you last night, but should be able to do it sometime today.

Since you say that the 1/2 key is not working, I would look for a damaged/broken Light Blue/Yellow wire in the driver's door boot.

I am compiling info for you and will send PM's when I'm finished.

Stand by..................................:popcorn:

Check you PM's. :):thumbsup:

I'm not sure if its the same but go with what rondo said. Mine was similar and so I took it to the dealership asked them what was up. They told me I needed the button station replaced and then gave me the code that should have come from the factory. about a year later I finally bought a used one plugged it in no difference then placed the "broken" one back on. looked up the factory code for myself turns out the dumb***es working cant read the dyagnostic tool. Long story short I now have a spare for just in case.

I sent him the wiring diagrams and the troubleshooting steps from my shop manuals. Hopefully he can get it sorted. :D

I'am assuming it is a wire in the door to. Thanks Rondo. I will have to check it out when I get some time. I have already had a wire break in there and its not really fun to play around there without ripping allot apart.

I have already had a wire break in there and its not really fun to play around there without ripping allot apart.

You shouldn't have to take a lot apart to check the wires in the rubber door boot. All you need to do is remove the inner door panel and un-screw the door speaker, nothing more. You can use the speaker hole as a larger access port for your hand to grab and check the wires by pulling on them to see if one is broken. A broken wire will pull back into the door from the rubber boot where it broke apart. To remove and check the wire ends in the rubber boot itself, just push the rubber boot (Inner door part) end from inside the door out into the door jam area, and then you can push the body end of the boot inside the body of the vehicle into the hole at that end of it as far as it will go into the body hole. This will give you a little extra room to check the wires in the boot area and to repair them at that end. It is a PITA getting your fingers into the door jam area and splicing into a broken wire end there. That was the hardest part of the job. I just repaired a broken wire in my drivers door boot last week for a power wire to my passenger side front window. BTW, you are talking to the right person for help "BigRondo"! :thumbsup:

I'am assuming it is a wire in the door to. Thanks Rondo. I will have to check it out when I get some time. I have already had a wire break in there and its not really fun to play around there without ripping allot apart.

You are welcome. :thumbsup:

Let me know if you need anything else.

You shouldn't have to take a lot apart to check the wires in the rubber door boot. All you need to do is remove the inner door panel and un-screw the door speaker, nothing more. You can use the speaker hole as a larger access port for your hand to grab and check the wires by pulling on them to see if one is broken. A broken wire will pull back into the door from the rubber boot where it broke apart. To remove and check the wire ends in the rubber boot itself, just push the rubber boot (Inner door part) end from inside the door out into the door jam area, and then you can push the body end of the boot inside the body of the vehicle into the hole at that end of it as far as it will go into the body hole. This will give you a little extra room to check the wires in the boot area and to repair them at that end. It is a PITA getting your fingers into the door jam area and splicing into a broken wire end there. That was the hardest part of the job. I just repaired a broken wire in my drivers door boot last week for a power wire to my passenger side front window. BTW, you are talking to the right person for help "BigRondo"! :thumbsup:

Thank you Sir! :D

so I never found a broken wire but I found that the connection terminal to the actual door keypad was so corroded it wasn't working I'm in the midst of bypassing and doing a direct wired connection that's right everybody I just got to it now lmao

Back