• Register Today It's free!

Keyless Entry?...a novice inquiry

HairyBastard86

Reaction score
City, State
Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Ford Explorer XLS
Just purchased my 2000 Explorer XLS a month or so ago. I was wondering if there was a way to determine if it is compatiable with keyless entry FOB's? It did not come with any FOB's from the previous owner. I read through the manual and it says that it was an available option, but no indication as to whether it was on mine or not. Is there any sure-fire way to check?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Select vehicle, enter VIN, and click minor features. My XLS says "Less Keyless Entry System".
Installed a $35 Viper 211HV with a little help from my friends. :chug:

https://www.etis.ford.com/

Thanks for the tip! I'll have to check it out.

So, if it says "less", then that means it's not included, correct?

Correct. If you decide to install an aftermarket RKE, do some research.

Sounds very simple, but it wasn't an "easy" install. At least for me. LOL.

Awesome. Thanks.

I recall that for some years 98-0? that you would turn the key from off to run 5, 7 or 8? times ( different for some years?) and leave the switch in the on position and the door locks would cycle locked to unlocked and that you could then ~Key~ the remote to the system by pressing any button within 10 secs?

I tried that with my 98 and got no results but am still looking into it.

the anti theft light on the dash comes on when the doors are power locked...

this might help & I will update when I locate the details...

I installed an aftermarket remote keyless entry on my XLT, as the factory RKE and keypad were both dead as a doornail.

ZldYkeDh.jpg

It's tricky, but, do-able.

I installed a keyless entry yesterday on my 95 XLT. It was crazy easy. Took the riverside kick panel off and opened up the wire bundle. Found pink/green and pink/yellow. Those are lock and unlock. There is a ground bolted to the frame in the same area. I placed a positive to each of the pink wires. Then placed the two grounds for those and the ground for the actual system with the factory ground. Wired the 12v constant to the yellow ignition 12v and done. I also need to connect the parking lights and maybe horn but I was in a time crunch to get it together. Any questions just ask. Will try to get some pictures when I go back in.

Back