• Register Today It's free!

keyless entry - aftermarket?

Adam Janowski

Reaction score
City, State
New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015, Explorer, Police
hi all, I've researched on the forum, but not to the fullest extent possible. i see quite a bit about forscan settings and such to enable keyless via factory fobs.

i'm wondering about an aftermarket keyless unit. should be simple, no? is there some other control run through the computer system that prohibits the use of an aftermarket keyless entry? i used to install them 15 yrs ago, but a lot has changed.

I'd like one or both of the following options:
- small keyfob in pocket for unlocking upon approach
- a keypad on exterior like a lot of ford products have had in the past

my vehicle came with 4 keys and no keyfobs

any help and advice is appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Link does not work,

I'm not aware of a keyfob that will unlock the Explorer upon approach. Not even the 2020 has that.
This is the OEM keypad (Securicode) that the Explorers have. 2011-2019 Ford Applique DB5Z-7820555-AC | Auto Nation Ford White Bear Lake I think you would still require a wiring harness and probably a module. I don't believe anyone has successfully installed one.
Ford does offer an aftermarket pad. 2015 Ford Explorer Keyless Entry Accessories | The Official Site for Ford Accessories

Peter

I'm not aware of a keyfob that will unlock the Explorer upon approach. Not even the 2020 has that.
All fobs allow for unlocking on approach. That is the point of them. Some require a manual button push and some are proximity based/automatic. I didn't see where op specified which type he/she wanted.

I'm not aware of anyone that has that "unlocking on approach" setup on their Explorer nor have I seen any mention of it in the Owner's Manuals. Is this a FORScan thing?

Peter

I'm not aware of anyone that has that "unlocking on approach" setup on their Explorer nor have I seen any mention of it in the Owner's Manuals. Is this a FORScan thing?

Peter
How do you unlock your vehicles that have keyless? On approach or something different?

Standard keyless entry unlocks on approach with the manual push of a button on a key fob. Passive keyless entry unlocks on approach without manually pushing a button.

Op didn't specify standard or passive. He/she just said - "small keyfob in pocket for unlocking upon approach.". All of my vehicles with keyless are like that. I have a fob in my pocket that is used for unlocking the vehicle upon approach. Both of my explorers have that capability.

I simply grab the door handle and door unlocks. To me, that is not unlocking upon approach. Unlocking upon approach to me means that as you approach the vehicle it senses you (fob) moving toward the vehicle and then automatically unlocks the door(s) without any intervention on my part. That is not what the Explorer does. Having to push a button on the fob, in my opinion, does not fall under the unlocking upon approach senario. I can lock/unlock the vehicle without having to 'approach' it from inside the house with the fob.
I guess it all depends on how one interprets the term.

Peter

Peter, 2017 explorer platinum fob should have buttons, one of which is door unlock. If you push the unlock button when you approach your vehicle, the door should unlock. All 5g explorer fobs have basic rke capability that will work as you approach the vehicle whether the fob is in a pocket, being waved in the air, or even stuck in a bodily orifice - the user just needs to push the unlock button.

Anyway, you assumed op was looking for pke. I did not.

Passive keyless can be like you describe or it can automatically unlock on approach. Some aftermarket systems can also integrate solenoids that will also pop open the door partially (common on custom cars with shaved door handles). Op needs to clarify exactly what he/she wants as that will determine oe or aftermarket solution.

Just went the cheap route.
2 ebay key fobs.
Ford hood safety switch.
FORScan mods.
Programmed key fobs.
Remote starts now and manual
keyless entry.

Just went the cheap route.
2 ebay key fobs.
Ford hood safety switch.
FORScan mods.
Programmed key fobs.
Remote starts now and manual
keyless entry.
I’m still scratching my head on why mine isn’t working :(

Made an appointment with local place that installs vipers. Getting the remote doors and remote start for $250 installed. Looked like a good deal as the system was $200 on crutchfield. Anyone use Vipers before?

Got mine installed today. Works great. Installer did mention that inside the dash was a mess and had exposed wires. Glad I went aftermarket.

Huge markup on aftermarket alarms. It may be worth it to spend some time getting things under the dash tidied up.

Used to work at a chassis upfitter in Chattanooga, TN called Choo Choo Customs.
Similar to Mark III or any of the other conversion companies.
Worked in the electrical department from 1995-2000, starting as helper and then crew leader.

We took bare chassis vans, trucks and SUVs and made them into customs and aftermarket parts sales.
We also had the SS Camino line + parts. Installed alarms, remote starts, heads up displays,
interior van wiring, custom wiring, window roll up or down add ons, tool box poppers,
DOT cut off fog and driving lights, personal play head units, TV-VCPs and 12 Japanese export
Chevy Astros that required rear fogs. I know over 80K units were run there in my time.

We had the First Jack Roush contract for the Southern District Up Fitter of their Mustangs
and F-150s. Later before closing, Winnebago contracted Choo Choo to build custom
Ford, Chevy and a few Dodge full size vans. All it was were the Choo vans with a Winnebago logo
on the windshield.

Huge markup on aftermarket alarms. It may be worth it to spend some time getting things under the dash tidied up.
System looks like it was $200 from crutchfield with remote start and keyless entry. They said they tidied up things when they were in there. When I add fogs I’m sure I’ll be back in there to take a look.

Used to work at a chassis upfitter in Chattanooga, TN called Choo Choo Customs.
Similar to Mark III or any of the other conversion companies.
Worked in the electrical department from 1995-2000, starting as helper and then crew leader.

We took bare chassis vans, trucks and SUVs and made them into customs and aftermarket parts sales.
We also had the SS Camino line + parts. Installed alarms, remote starts, heads up displays,
interior van wiring, custom wiring, window roll up or down add ons, tool box poppers,
DOT cut off fog and driving lights, personal play head units, TV-VCPs and 12 Japanese export
Chevy Astros that required rear fogs. I know over 80K units were run there in my time.

We had the First Jack Roush contract for the Southern District Up Fitter of their Mustangs
and F-150s. Later before closing, Winnebago contracted Choo Choo to build custom
Ford, Chevy and a few Dodge full size vans. All it was were the Choo vans with a Winnebago logo
on the windshield.

This is almost as good as the Navy seal copy pasta meme. Can I save this and use it on Reddit?

:wtf:
IDK what you do with it KayGee

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hi all, I've researched on the forum, but not to the fullest extent possible. i see quite a bit about forscan settings and such to enable keyless via factory fobs.

i'm wondering about an aftermarket keyless unit. should be simple, no? is there some other control run through the computer system that prohibits the use of an aftermarket keyless entry? i used to install them 15 yrs ago, but a lot has changed.

hi all, thank you for the replies. i didn't see those replies until today as i didn't get email notification.. (thought there weren't any replies..lol) so i was just wanting keyless entry without a huge keyfob.. lol. that's all. i can live with pushing a button as needed

local shop quotes $399 to $550 to do a keyless on the police explorer

i was asking on the forum in case the vehicle had some sort of secure system like canbus or who knows what.
turns out it's very simple.
i had just the ignition key - no fob of any sort.

so i solved this issue for less than $16 on amazon, believe it or not. yeah, i had to use some electrical tape and my tools, but i had change back from a $20 bill!!!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HB5M5R2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i drilled body for ground and found power and door lock unlock wire in drivers kick panel area. also found parking lights at fuse box under dash. didn't bother with horn chirp

works great and has long range

very pleased with outcome and keyfob is small and perfect for pocket

Back